Forum Member

Question Extrication tools question

We have salesmen from Amkus , TNT and Holmato coming in
    On the 17th to demo there new hydraulic equipment.
    (Power unit, spreader, cutter and rams)
    I was just wondering if anyone has had any issues good or bad.
    Have you had any trouble with service and repair of tools or
    Any trouble with the performance of the equipment you are running.

Or some questions to be confronting these salesmen about while they are
    All together @ the station?

We have been running a set of Amkus tools for 20+ years now
    And have had NO trouble other than chipped cutter blades (which were
    Replaced with no hassle) and replaced the hydraulic hoses a couple of times
    But other than that they have been trouble free.
    Which we talked about staying with Amkus but the Holmato’s core hose
    And there are some things that TNT has that have caught our eye.

Any input would be appreciated

Forum Member

We used Holmatro in the UK.cant be beat as far as Im concerned.Am using Amkus in the US now so have hands on experience of both.Holmatro wins hands down.Core technology is great.Have used TNT here as well and is better than Amkus, but not quite upto Holamtro standards

Forum Member

Out of the 3, AMKUS is behind the time in technology and HOLMATRO is like buying an Escalade when you need a truck to haul a load of rock. We recently bought tools and looked at all three and then some. We were looking at interchangeability, if you go with the Core stuff or whatever TNT calls it you are stuck, period.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

ONLY Holmatro uses Core. T.C.

Truckie

We had some very thorough testing, TNT and holmatro did outstanding. Both have very good service techs and vendors, so that was a wash. It really came down to the core tech hose. But TNT is a very good system. Either choice, you wont be disappointed.
    We tested in real world situations, and at -20f.
    But don't underestimate the importance of a competent vendor and service department. It's important enough that it can be a deal breaker for a tool choice.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

According my best quess...if you've been using Amkus for the last 20 years and all you've done was chip a few cutter blades...then you've been lucky.

In today's market of extrication tools, everyone has an angle at selling you tools. Holmatro has the Core hose, TNT has the price and warranty, Hurst has the eDraulic, Amkus has NASCAR support, and Genesis uses NFPA. Out of all these different tools, ask key questions...does the Core hose do anything to help cut the car open? Is today's Mercedes build like NASCAR's? Are we ready to trust another battery powered tool just yet?

Holmatro is a great line of tools...so is Hurst. These are built to last. TNT is built to sell and they promise to replace it...forever. Amkus is very popular with many departments. Genesis has the strongest NFPA rated cutter.

I have my favorites, but if you want the best for your department, you're not looking deep enough to get the product you want to keep for another 20 years.

Forum Member

We use Genesis at my part time gig and that is my favorite manufactor of tools. Never had any problems with them.

At my full time job we use holmatro. They are about ten years old now. Doesnt seem like a bad tool. where i am asigned I just havent gotten to use them that much, we just dont get that many extrications. in three years i have only used our combi tool to pop car hoods on car fires. They work good for that.

Let's talk fire trucks!

In my volunteer county, everything in the county was Hurst, but we were getting pretty lousy service after the sale, so when we determined we were going to purchase new tools, a committee was put together to evaluate tools, and Amkus was selected for two of the companies, with the tools for the rest of the companies to be selected later. After about a year, the folks who got the Amkus were pretty disappointed with their durability, speed, and cutting power.

When it was our turn to get our tools for our heavy rescue, we evaluated Hurst, TNT, Holmatro, and Genesis. We have guys that use different brands at work, and as mentioned, we use Amkus at the NASCAR track, so we knew what to look for when the demo time came. When it came down to it, TNT won hands down. We've had them in service for a year, and no complaints at all, and the support we've gotten from the dealer has been fantastic.

As GFD615 mentioned, each manufacturer has it's strong points, be sure you look at the total package (price, speed, power, warranty terms, dealer support, available accessories, etc) when you make your choice.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    We use Genesis at my part time gig and that is my favorite manufactor of tools. Never had any problems with them.
    Genesis doesn't manufacture anything. http://www.weber.de/wr/index_en.php
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I have been keeping a watch on this posting daily for all your comments.
    We appreciate all the imput on this topic.

we also got a bid from Genesis. there pricing was in there with the three other manufactures but doing some research on them and (in my opinion
    (how do I want to say this?) cheaply made / light weight / kinda like buffalo
    tools vrs SnapOn) and also found out like Capt387 posted they don't manufacture them. we ruled them out for even doing a demo.

looking @ the three we have left.I fell like from all the research I have been
    doing lately its going to be between TNT and Holmato. seams like not just on here but other fourms Amkus is lacking something (just not keeping up to pace with everyone else) sounds alittle unfair from my earlier posting
    about there tools that we have being running.

We are going to have all three demo for us. and then I and the other four members on this committee can make good choice for our Dept.
    By #1 reliabilty #2 Serviceability and last but not least #3 price.

no matter what we end up with. it will be a big improvement over what we are using now. (for speed and power)

Forum Member

Nothing wrong with Genesis. PERSONALLY, I don't like their controls but it works OK. We were Holmatro for over 20 years,we recently replaced those with ResQTec. We tested a lot of systems and in the end it came down to Holmatro and ResQTec. There were things we just liked better about the Ewo system and the pricing was within a very few dollars. Time will tell how that decision will pan out but we've had a FX4 for over a year on the Ladder and are VERY happy with it.SERVICE is a major part of the sale in my opinion. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 02-15-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Truckie

seams like not just on here but other fourms Amkus is lacking something
    Amkus was the only tool that we stalled while cutting. We worked the tools hard, and verified with the rep that everything we where doing was within the normal capabilities of the tool. But the Amkus couldn't cut a door hinge. It was cold, -10, but in Minnesota, that can be a heat wave, so it needs to be able to perform at that temp.
    Good luck.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Thread Information