Well I canít say Iíve been in the fire service very long ( 3 Months and almost finished ff1), but I can say one thing Iíve learned ALOT about being the new guy and being a probie. I decided to put this up as a few tips to the other news guys coming in who feel confused and overwhelmed.
1) The command is not your friend your officers are there to help train you and get you ready. They are hard on you because they want you to be safe on the fire ground. There are times the officers will be buddy buddy with you once you prove yourself. Always maintain the highest amount of respect for your elders and superiors. Thereís time for work and then theres time for play.
2) Bust your *** be prepared to clean trucks, kitchens and whatever else is asked of you to do. Make sure you listen and donít have to be told to do something twice. Make sure you can work well with your fellow probies. Trust me itís worth it when someone whose been in the fire service for 50 years tells you good job. Have pride you joined one of the United States most admired professions Vol. or Paid.
3) Take it slow youíre in no rush, the more time you take to learn the apparatus, your gear, the tools the better youíll be on the field. Do whatever you have to, sketch the trucks and outline where all the tools are placed (thanks to the guy who told me this one).
Remember you never stop learning.
4) Be involved attend drills, spend time with your peers, learn all you can about your station and itís members. Ask questions about what you donít understand.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Tips for probies.
02-11-2011, 03:50 PM #1
Tips for probies.
02-11-2011, 09:15 PM #2
5) Train the way you will fight.
Welcome to the Service and good luck...
PKHAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By FD2019 in forum Fireground TacticsReplies: 9Last Post: 05-27-2006, 09:59 AM
By CALFFBOU in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 23Last Post: 02-26-2005, 03:21 PM
By D Littrell in forum Apparatus InnovationReplies: 1Last Post: 09-08-2000, 06:36 PM
By Batt #2 in forum Fireground TacticsReplies: 9Last Post: 01-23-2000, 01:21 PM
By rmoore in forum University of ExtricationReplies: 13Last Post: 04-23-1999, 09:59 PM