Forum Member

Lightbulb New To the World of Firefighting Questions

I'm currently going through the fire academy (and I absolutely love every bit of it by the way and we're just getting started). I've learned a TON in the past week and a half (short amount of school, but the academy is m-f 8-5). I found this site and thought it would be a great place to learn more about the service. Now that I got my rant on excitement out of the way I have just a few general questions about the fire service and more importantly your specific experiences and opinions about it. I know there are plenty of threads already started that ask basic questions about PPE, Fire science etc. but i'm really interested right now in the attitudes of firefighters.

1. What are your favorite and least favorite parts of the job, BESIDES your favorite: saving lives and Least: dealing with fatalities (I know those create great and terrible feelings) i'm looking for less common responses that someone not working in the fire service yet such as myself would like to know.

2. When a rookie enters your department how do you usually deal with that? is there some kind of initiation? what type of people do you enjoy working with?

3. what is your most memorable experience (positive or negative) since your career as a firefighter started?

I know this is a long post, but like I stated before; I'm excited about learning about these things

MembersZone Subscriber

What academy are you attending and Where is it?

Forum Member

Collin College academy in tx, great group of guys both teaching and students (though i'm learning very quickly that that's not uncommon in the fire service)

Forum Member

So Ive only got a handful of time on the job so keep that in mind. Some of these guys will have a lot to talk about....like maybe what it was like to feed the horses... Only kidding fellas. Anyway.

1. Keep in mind its not often some gets a true save or grab. Yeah that would be my favorite but, aside from a few dogs, I still havent had a true grab. But my favorite is without a doubt the firehouse. I never go in late, and hate to miss a day. Even when its scheduled. To have a group of fellas whom you love like your own family that you live with every third day is hard to describe. Reassuring, fun, demanding, annoying. You will learn why we call it a brotherhood. You will get ribbed, alot. You might even rib back some (remember probie=not a whole lot of return ribbing ) But you will be apart of this new family. Take it in stride and be proud when you catch some b.s.....it means you are liked. Thats the best part for me.
    My least favorite part is....and thats tough...Its gotta be the demographic in my area. I run a career department that is in a rough rundown city. Lot of filth, squalor and poverty. Breaks my heart to see the children and tough to do families. There really is no way to prepare for some of the heartbreak you will see.

2. Very little other than some early hazing. You might do some backboard training, have frozen items, or spend a lot of time soaking *** wet. It happens. Other than that, if you work your *** off, clean, train, clean, cook, clean, ask questions, clean and make coffee you would fit right in on my truck as a probie. The kind of people I work well with speak up and ask questions. Maybe its something that I havent thought of. I also like people who are high energy and go getting. Get in, get work done, then lets hang out.

3. Im a generational FF so running into family on scenes has been meaningful and something i will alway remember.

Hope this was helpful and good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    So Ive only got a handful of time on the job so keep that in mind. Some of these guys will have a lot to talk about....like maybe what it was like to feed the horses... Only kidding fellas. Anyway.

1. Keep in mind its not often some gets a true save or grab. Yeah that would be my favorite but, aside from a few dogs, I still havent had a true grab. But my favorite is without a doubt the firehouse. I never go in late, and hate to miss a day. Even when its scheduled. To have a group of fellas whom you love like your own family that you live with every third day is hard to describe. Reassuring, fun, demanding, annoying. You will learn why we call it a brotherhood. You will get ribbed, alot. You might even rib back some (remember probie=not a whole lot of return ribbing ) But you will be apart of this new family. Take it in stride and be proud when you catch some b.s.....it means you are liked. Thats the best part for me.
    My least favorite part is....and thats tough...Its gotta be the demographic in my area. I run a career department that is in a rough rundown city. Lot of filth, squalor and poverty. Breaks my heart to see the children and tough to do families. There really is no way to prepare for some of the heartbreak you will see.

2. Very little other than some early hazing. You might do some backboard training, have frozen items, or spend a lot of time soaking *** wet. It happens. Other than that, if you work your *** off, clean, train, clean, cook, clean, ask questions, clean and make coffee you would fit right in on my truck as a probie. The kind of people I work well with speak up and ask questions. Maybe its something that I havent thought of. I also like people who are high energy and go getting. Get in, get work done, then lets hang out.

3. Im a generational FF so running into family on scenes has been meaningful and something i will alway remember.

Hope this was helpful and good luck.
    Thanks, that helps out a lot. I appreciate the thought put towards #1 ha and I know what you mean by getting ribbed, our instructors in the academy range from Basic FF all the way to batallion chief. ALL of them will jack with me now and then, that's probably my favorite part so far, is the bonds, brotherhood, and comradery (all of which are basically the same), then the book work, but i love it all...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    Probies should be seen and not heard. Only kidding. Or am I? Anyway.....
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Least

Cleaning the station and vehicles

Working weekend, night when there is something special going on away from work

Do you have emt yet and what level????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Probies should be seen and not heard. Only kidding. Or am I? Anyway.....
    I'm three years removed from probie status but I remember clearly the long year.Thought the input would help em'.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Least

Cleaning the station and vehicles

Working weekend, night when there is something special going on away from work

Do you have emt yet and what level????
    not yet, the academy i'm going through will combine the two certs into one, at the end we take naional registry for emt and state tests for ff1 and emt... after that i'll be going to medic school

Forum Member

If you are pre-service I'd highly suggest you keep your driving record squeaky clean and try your best to maintain a solid work history, what I mean by that is having a reputation for a good work ethic, honest and an ability to maintain a job without a whole lot of bouncing around between differrent jobs.

As for what I like and don't like about the job. I love coming to work and not knowing what we will have to deal with during the shift, it's different every shift. (for the most part) Understand that EMS is a big part of the job, for most of us anyway, and learn to enjoy it or else be prepared for a long unsatisfying career. Believe me, I've worked with a lot of miserable souls that bitch and moan about going on an EMS run. If the department you hire into doesn't have a strong leadership core these type of negative attitudes can be tough to deal with, or I should say LIVE with.

Understand that house chores are also a part of the job. If you're not into mopping, vacuuming, washing windows and etc. be prepared for a long unsatisfying career. It's what firehouse life is all about.

Keep a good attitude (even when you're getting hazed) and during your probationary period work your butt off! Don't be that guy that thinks doing a so-so job on anything is good enough. Do everything to the best of your ability and that is the reputation that will stick with you.

Good Luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember that people rarely dial 9-1-1 when they're having a good day. In fact, this is probably the worst day of their life (the usual exceptions noted).

The best part of the job is making that bad day a little (or a lot) less bad. Especially when the folks involved let their gratitude be known.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Thread Information