Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Junior Firefighter Interview Questions

Hey everyone! I was wondering if you other juniors could help me out with something...I'm going to be applying for membership at my local volunteer department soon. I'm wondering what kind of questions they will ask at an interview? I know this varies from department to department, but I just want to get a general idea. Should I study/prepare for this? Thanks for any insight you can give.

I've never even heard of volunteer junior interviews. Are you sure they even do that??
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I've never even heard of volunteer junior interviews. Are you sure they even do that??
    Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty sure they do since on the application it talks about "presenting working papers at the interview"...

Forum Member

I know explorers are a little different from juniors but when I joined my department I printed the application off online, filled it out, droped it off at the station. Then they voted on it at a meeting. Then they called me about a week later and said they had another application for me so I filled it out and that was it. I didn't have a interview or anything. They only asked me a couple of questions.
    Last edited by Cord T; 02-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.

My department voted on me to be on. They really only asked why I wanted to be there. But in order to get on for my department we have to have 2 teacher written references.
    Last edited by jake_WVFD17; 02-14-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    "A Brother Above All Else" ~Glen Schade

"Those who volunteer to fight fires are people who truly care." ~C. Pulsifer

jstenka@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

I know as far the post I run, we just ask general questions. The interview is conducted by myself or one of the other advisors, the Junior Dep. Chief, and one of the two Junior Captains The questions are along the lines of "What else do you do with your time," "what do you want to end up doing for the rest of your life?" etc. Obviously we can't/wont disqualify someone if they don't want to be a FF, that's not the purpose of our post, but it's just more to get a feel for the person. To see if they're a pot head, etc.

Then when I address the Juniors about a potential new member, I ask if anyone knows him/her and what the person is like, before they vote them in or not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    I know as far the post I run, we just ask general questions. The interview is conducted by myself or one of the other advisors, the Junior Dep. Chief, and one of the two Junior Captains The questions are along the lines of "What else do you do with your time," "what do you want to end up doing for the rest of your life?" etc. Obviously we can't/wont disqualify someone if they don't want to be a FF, that's not the purpose of our post, but it's just more to get a feel for the person. To see if they're a pot head, etc.

Then when I address the Juniors about a potential new member, I ask if anyone knows him/her and what the person is like, before they vote them in or not.
    Thats what they did with me. They just got a feel for me to see if I was a good kid or not.

Forum Member

Our application mentioned an interview, but it never happened.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I talked with a friend of mine who is on the department, and he said that you have a meeting with the chief and the other brass in the department...
    Kyle - FireSquad911

Forum Member

We have short oral board interviews for the City of Las Vegas Fire Explorers that include these questions:

1. Tell us about yourself?
    2. Why do you want to be a firefighter(Fire Explorer for the City of Las Vegas)?
    3. What have you done to prepare yourself?

Its basically a very abridged version of the Oral Boards for hiring.

Best,

Paul C.
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Quote Originally Posted by jsgory123 View Post
    They have interviews?

http://www.myrescueteam.com

reported...............
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information