+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

RFD, riding 2 is only common on 1 piece of equipment.

Griff, visitors are welcome...just bring ice cream, its a favorite

KP, Everyone goes through the academy. Prior certs will not help with the hiring process. Regarding the age, there is no maximum age limit, and no discouragement whatsoever. In fact, the last class had the oldest 2 recruits in the city's history, one of them 50+.

Anything else, just ask, and I'll do my best to answer you.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

MembersZone Subscriber

What is the pay like after 5 years and so on?

Forum Member

what do they want filled out? the employment app or the firefighter app? seems like theres not much to the ff app

MembersZone Subscriber

Top pay is achieved after 3 years, and upon completion of the apprenticeship program. Approximate salary with holiday pay is $63,000.

Fill out the Firefighter App. I believe there is a much more detailed app the further in the hiring process you go, but honestly I can't remember.
    Last edited by JTFIRE80; 02-17-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    RFD, riding 2 is only common on 1 piece of equipment.

Griff, visitors are welcome...just bring ice cream, its a favorite

KP, Everyone goes through the academy. Prior certs will not help with the hiring process. Regarding the age, there is no maximum age limit, and no discouragement whatsoever. In fact, the last class had the oldest 2 recruits in the city's history, one of them 50+.

Anything else, just ask, and I'll do my best to answer you.
    JT; which piece of equipment is that? It looked like one of your busiest Engine Companies may ride with two members.

How are the day to day operations? What goes on during a typical tour? Fill us in on life in an A-town firehouse...

Forum Member

heading off to the post office to mail the app and the money order..wish me luck..

On a side note, I looked at the list scores from the last test? in 2009 i believe, highest score was a 101.something..is the test that hard? or do that many people fail? Or, do not many people test?

benjamin29

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    heading off to the post office to mail the app and the money order..wish me luck..

On a side note, I looked at the list scores from the last test? in 2009 i believe, highest score was a 101.something..is the test that hard? or do that many people fail? Or, do not many people test?
    I looked on the IAFF website and saw that in 2009 over 600 applied and something like 575 tested. I do remember the test being differnet and it was harder than others I have taken. Im sure JTFIRE can shine more light on the subject though.

Forum Member

On a side note, this has been the most hectic process for me and I havn't even mailed it yet..

I had to use the library to print out the app because I dont have a printer on my home computer/laptop..so I needed to find 3 dollars in change in my car under the seats, in the wheel wells, in the gas tank, to pay to use the computer, then I had to run back outside to get more change to pay for the copies..

Then I forgot my debit card, figuring I could just use my credit card to get the money order (my bad) nope, 8 miles round trip later..and then they won't let me copy my 214 so I have to wait until I go to drill tomorrow to make a copy..god..I hope this is worth it lol..

MembersZone Subscriber

613 Applications recieved, 549 actually tested, 312 passed. There have been 14 hires off of the current list.

It is amazing the amount of people that no show for the agility test, or show up very unprepared thinking they can fly through it.

With tests, I've only taken 2, so I can't say what is difficult or not. That said, my biggest piece of advice I give people testing is this: Answer the question as if your job/life depended on it. What this means is always tell the truth, rat your friends out, rat yourself out, and do what Management wants you to do, not what you think you would do, or what you think is right!

Forum Member

How's the maze? Any tips to get through the agility? I know we're not there yet but would like to start preparing anyways.

How's the written? Any suggestions?

What helped you when you took the test?

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by DevelopmentHell; 02-18-2011 at 09:54 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DevelopmentHell View Post
    How's the maze? Any tips to get through the agility? I know we're not there yet but would like to start preparing anyways.

How's the written? Any suggestions?

What helped you when you took the test?

Thanks for any help!
    The maze is a maze. It is what it is...I'm not going to put everything out there for everyone.
    Just be prepared physically for the agility...as I posted already, Official video of the Agility test is on Youtube, and you get a free shot at it before the actual test.

What helped?? Working out, and 5 hour energy!!

Forum Member

Get a 40 or 50 pound weight vest from Models or Dicks and start climbing steps. Your legs need to be your major focus. You should work the shoulders and your core too but I was on the step mill for about 20 mins each day and then I would run a couple miles or used the rowing machine. Only really trained for about a month but passed with time to spare. They will also give you an orientation day before the agility test where you can run the maze and remember it so don't worry about that, worry about doing well on the written test.

Forum Member

Double post.
    Last edited by LT8npfd; 02-22-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Double post

Forum Member

Looks like a great dept to work for, seems old school. How many are they looking to hire? Looks like a worthy trip.

Forum Member

In regards to the work schedule, I saw they do 10's and 14's, what are the hours of each? Also what's the departments policy on leather helmets/boots, I was watching some videos and it seems like everyone is wearing Ben 2's, which I'm guessing is standard issue?

MembersZone Subscriber

LT8npfd: Contractual work hours vs. actual is different. We work 0630-1530, and 1530-0630. Contractual hours are 0800-1800 & 1800-0600. So in essence it's 9's & 15's. Ben 2's are standard. Issued boots are rubber, but you may provide your own leather...knowing that if damaged, it's on you, and they have to be approved prior to use.

76, your question was already addressed.

Forum Member

Thanks! Looking forward to taking the test.

Forum Member

LT,

Found it. thanks 40 poten.

Forum Member

I dropped my application+dd214 off at the post office today...good luck everyone!

Forum Member

Just curious about the physical test...Is it pass or fail?

Please no one say "why are you asking about the physical test when you haven't even taken the written..."

Forum Member

why are you asking about the physical test when you haven't even taken the written....

Sorry had to
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy View Post
    Just curious about the physical test...Is it pass or fail?

Please no one say "why are you asking about the physical test when you haven't even taken the written..."
    If you go on youtube, and search for Allentown fire dept. they have a 2 part video series that goes into detail as to every aspect of their test.

Forum Member

the app is just 3 pages to fill out right?

Forum Member

Yep. Anyone else from New Jersey taking the test?

Forum Member

PA ... Im just glad i get to test in PA finally instead of always driving to Virginia

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information