Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Forum Member

even better

Forum Member

wish i would of saw this earlier i just got back from PA and would of stopped on the way and got an app. anyone going down from around syracuse area?

Forum Member

Default Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by JFD21 View Post
    JT, you said 14 people hired off of the last list, do you know how far down the list they had to go to get the 14?
    They got to #41 how do I know you may ask??? Because I am #29 on the list and I was skipped over multiple times due to the fact that AFD uses banding on their civil service list which in essence allows them to hire whomever they please without any legal repercussions. Passed the test and smoked the agility portion. Still didn't get hired. Yes these are facts I have an attorney who can verify this, as well as speaking to the deputy director malley and the fire chief himself multiple times. It's pretty crappy but this may turn into a huge public issue, I have nothing whatsoever against vets as a matter of fact I SALUTE ANY AND ALL VETS and agree with the 10 point bump but then hiring preference and seniority, why have ranks or a list even, just make it a veteran only job!

One thing I can add DONT let my experience influence your decision to apply I was told by the chief that they expect a ton of retirements.

As far as the agility test just work out hard get your cardiovascular and breathing down you will be ok, watch the YouTube videos they are excellent base your workouts on that. But worry about the written first and the maze hahahaha good luck

Forum Member

no password yet ... wtf

Forum Member

hey bro..did you call?

Forum Member

no password yet ... wtf
    When did you submit your app? Sent mine in the day the period was open and got my password the next day.

Forum Member

no password ... can't get in touch with anyone .. fml

Forum Member

Nobody answered at HR?

Forum Member

some lady said there's hundreds of applications and theyre not in order so she doesn't know ... she didn't seem to care too much about it lol

Forum Member

Deadbear... Get used to them not caring the city human resources dept and civil service staff are absolutely horrible and a miserable group of people who have ZERO people skills

Forum Member

Atown- I am guessing the you aren't testing again with Allentown, but if you are it might be wise to handle your issues professionally or with your lawyer instead of blowing them up on a website. This is a public forum so anybody could be reading this and you already gave your list number. The name of the game is don't burn your bridges. In the mean time serve your country. Have the discipline to be away from friends and family for 6-7 months in a sh*thole country and still get the job done under extreme pressures, without complaint. Maybe that's why so many fire departments are focused on hiring vets.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irish2522 View Post
    atown- i am guessing the you aren't testing again with allentown, but if you are it might be wise to handle your issues professionally or with your lawyer instead of blowing them up on a website. This is a public forum so anybody could be reading this and you already gave your list number. The name of the game is don't burn your bridges. In the mean time serve your country. Have the discipline to be away from friends and family for 6-7 months in a sh*thole country and still get the job done under extreme pressures, without complaint. Maybe that's why so many fire departments are focused on hiring vets.
    motivation!

Forum Member

thanks for the info atown

Forum Member

I was told that Allentown uses the "Rule of Three" for hiring off of their lists. Does that also mean that if you're passed up three times you're out or what?

Forum Member

sent my app in today good luck to everyone taking the test

Forum Member

Excuse my ignorance gentlemen, but what is the "rule of three" for hiring?

Forum Member

From what I understand it goes something like this. Candidates 1, 2 and 3 on the list will go take an interview. Out of those three, one person must be picked, so say candidate 3 does. Now everyone who was below candidate 3 moves up one spot, so now candidates 1, 2 and 4 are at the top of the list and it goes like that so on down the list. Also, I think it s mandatory in pennsylvania that if the position is between a veteran and a non-vet, the veteran has to be chosen.
    Last edited by ddrum; 03-04-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ddrum View Post
    From what I understand it goes something like this. Candidates 1, 2 and 3 on the list will go take an interview. Out of those three, one person must be picked, so say candidate 3 does. Now everyone who was below candidate 3 moves up one spot, so now candidates 1, 2 and 4 are at the top of the list and it goes like that so on down the list. Also, I think it s mandatory in pennsylvania that if the position is between a veteran and a non-vet, the veteran has to be chosen.
    You are correct. That is how Allentown Bethlehem and Easton hire. They have to hire 1 out of the three, or they can hire 2, or all three. If one of the 3 is a vet then they get a job. It is pretty ****ty that you could be #1 and never end up getting the job. The Physical test is a joke. Take the NJ test or CPAT down south. They are a better evaluation of physical fitness for the job. The fire departments in the LV operate with very minimal manpower, there is no room for dead weight.

Forum Member

So, they can hire those top 3 guys all at once and move onto the next 3 ranked below them? I personally am not worrying too much. With the potential for as many as 40 hires off the list, I am sure there will be plenty of non-vets being hired. Alot of people seem to have an issue with it but remember, not all vets were Angels when they were young either and they can still fail a background.

Forum Member

theres 2 classes...1 in july..and 1 in september..according to Atown HR...so 20 per class makes sense, since the talk about 40 hires...just a little FYI

Thread Information