Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Allentown Fire Dept 2011 Test

The Allentown Fire Civil Service Board will be accepting applications for the position of Firefighter to establish a 2011 eligibility list. 18 or older to apply, citizen of the U.S., valid driver's license, high school diploma or equivalent required. Non-refundable fee of $60.00 required. when returning completed application (money order or cert. check only, no personal checks or cash). Applications can be obtained between February 14, 2011 through March 15, 2011, on our website at www.allentownpa.gov, or at the Human Resources Dept., City Hall, Room 233, 435 Hamilton St., Allentown 18101, Mon.-Fri.8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Written examination will be held on Saturday, April 9, 2011. In order to be considered for the eligibility list, attendance at the written examination is required.
    EOE.

Starting salary is $43,000+
    Great Benefits
    Work Schedule is 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off
    12 days vacation after 1st year

6 Stations, 7 Engines, 2 trucks

List is good for 2 years.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

wow. $60 bones for a test is steep...but if it's towards a job...hmmm

Forum Member

any word on if there going to hire or they just trying to set up a list ??? ill definitely be taking the test
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

MembersZone Subscriber

There will definitely be hires off of this list. There is the potential for as many as 40
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Seems like a good department, and as JT said there should be a lot of hires in the next few years. Good luck to all that apply.

Forum Member

Default Last list

How many did they hire off the last list? I have an odd feeling i was skipped over. Anyone on here hired from last list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    There will definitely be hires off of this list. There is the potential for as many as 40
    Jt didn't you get hired last list?? If my memory serves me correct you were close or high on the list. How do you know there should be that many hired???

Forum Member

As anyone been through the process before? How long is the timeline from written to CPAT and so on? Well typically, I know each time is different.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JFD21 View Post
    As anyone been through the process before? How long is the timeline from written to CPAT and so on? Well typically, I know each time is different.......
    List has to be certified by the end of April, and academy starts early July, so sometime between then. Check out Youtube for 2 AFD videos of the Agility Test.

Forum Member

Thanks, How does Veteran's Preference work? I know the score gets added on top but how many points will I recieve? Is there different catoagories or just you served on Active Duty so you get points?

Forum Member

JT--- so are you on the Allentown dept??

MembersZone Subscriber

JfD, all I will say about the veterans preference is that they are very generous to veterans.

Candidate, I've been on about a year, and couldn't be happier!!

Forum Member

Hey JT..Do you think that being a "disabled vet" would be an issue? I put it in quotations because I'm considered that by the VA, I wasn't medically retired or anything.

Is there a oral board? or is it strictly written, physical and they base your list # off that?

Are people with certifications considered before others?

Forum Member

1 more question..I took a civil service test before so I'm sort of familiar with the type of material..however, would it be worth it to get 1 of those test preps from like a borders?

Forum Member

Does Allentown see a good bit of fire?

Candidate, I've been on about a year, and couldn't be happier!!
    Yes you could, you need a fire or two.....bwahahahaahahaah who loves you man????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

hey guys i just gave them my app yesterday, and that $60 gets u the pass word of a website so u can print out the study guide

MembersZone Subscriber

Griff, the disabled vet shouldn't be a problem, but I am not 100% certain, as that is up to the civil service commission. There is no true oral board. Written, agility, backround, medical, phsych. List number is strictly from written. Everyone is a probie, whether you have 20 years or no experience, so current certs do not apply for the hiring process. Can't really speak of the study guides...I personnally have not used them.

To berg: Have you been beneath a rock this past week???????

Forum Member

No...But I would be willing to bet thats not a typical week. In a typical week/year/whatever is there a good bit of fire to be seen. I know its been extraordinairly busy recently. So is this a typical week or not?

Forum Member

Griff, the disabled vet shouldn't be a problem, but I am not 100% certain, as that is up to the civil service commission. There is no true oral board. Written, agility, backround, medical, phsych. List number is strictly from written. Everyone is a probie, whether you have 20 years or no experience, so current certs do not apply for the hiring process. Can't really speak of the study guides...I personnally have not used them.

To berg: Have you been beneath a rock this past week???????
    JT, I was looking through the AFD site and see that you guys ride two on a few rigs??? Is this common??????

Thread Information