Thread: My First Tour

Forum Member

Default My First Tour

Howdy guys,

I go on my first 48 hr tour Wednesday morning. I just graduated from the academy and am pretty excited! I am looking for a few good breakfast lunch and dinner ideas for my new crew.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Don't be late.
    Maybe find out what the like and don't like before you plan any meals.

Remember: you have two eyes, two ears, and one mouth. Put what nature gave you the most of to good use.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmoconnell View Post
    Howdy guys,

I go on my first 48 hr tour Wednesday morning. I just graduated from the academy and am pretty excited! I am looking for a few good breakfast lunch and dinner ideas for my new crew.

Thanks!
    Yeah like len said, hold off on planning anything until you see what they like/dislike. However, if you show up to your first tour without a copious amount of baked goods (pies/cakes/doughnuts/bagels) and ice cream, that strange sensation you would feel in the seat of your pants would be the Senior Man's foot.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmoconnell View Post
    Howdy guys,

Thanks!

If you are married, I hope your wife will understand. I would never work a 48 hour tour unless it was on overtime!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    If you are married, I hope your wife will understand. I would never work a 48 hour tour unless it was on overtime!!
    A lot of department's in my area are going to the 48/96 shift.

Forum Member

When I was a Federal FF we used to do 72's all the time; I did them pretty regularly as I had a 135 mile one-way drive....But then I would have 3 or 4 straight off as opposed to 24/24.

Forum Member

Meat balls Subs
    buy a bag of meatballs couple jars of spaghetti sauce and some hoagie rolls. Add some chips to the side....one of our favorites.

Burgers
    plan on 3/4 of a pound of ground beef per firefighter.

breakfast burritos are easy. Suasage, Egg, onion, peppers, cheese, and some tortillas. maybe add some bacon and some sort of hash brown.

Biscuits and Gravy....Just get a couple rolls of easy biscuits and a couple packets of white gravy. add some sausage and some bacon and possibly has browns.

Those are some easy ideas....some guys like to eat healty so maybe ask them for some menu ideas but have a few ready just to throw out there.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Forum Member

If you bring jar sauce to any firehouse, be prepared to bring it back home with you. And the golden rule is, if you buy it, they eat it, we don't care if you like it, but you still pay! If someone takes the time out of their OWN day to buy food that shows everyone at work you actually give a rats behind about them. Especially when you can go get the meal while at work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by barlaam1 View Post
    Meat balls Subs
    buy a bag of meatballs couple jars of spaghetti sauce and some hoagie rolls. Add some chips to the side....one of our favorites.

Burgers

breakfast burritos are easy. Suasage, Egg, onion, peppers, cheese, and some tortillas. maybe add some bacon and some sort of hash brown.

Biscuits and Gravy....Just get a couple rolls of easy biscuits and a couple packets of white gravy. add some sausage and some bacon and possibly has browns.

Those are some easy ideas....some guys like to eat healty so maybe ask them for some menu ideas but have a few ready just to throw out there.

If a proby in my house made any of these, that strange sensation in the seat of his pants would be the senior man's foot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    If a proby in my house made any of these, that strange sensation in the seat of his pants would be the senior man's foot.
    You being serious?

So a guy comes in a gives cooking a shot first day and you guys are going gripe about it? Sure typical probie razzing but man give the guy a shot or start teaching him to cook your way. What would be your senior man's suggestion then?
    "It's a living thing brian..."

Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

man, you are something else.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

Any rook that comes in and takes initiative to "cook" is alright in my book. Of course, if it sucks, we'll razz them a little, but still eat it out of respect.

As different rookie classes come through, initiative like this is becoming harder and harder to find. The sense of entitlement is killing me!!!

Forum Member

WOW goys! just got back from my first tour! One hell of a 48! I think the 48 on are nice especially with 96 to recoup! and thanks also for all the posts! I ended up just making green chili chicken enchiladas for dinner last night. They turned out good and no one complained. lol! besides that, I think I was tossed into the "fire" so to speak. I think it the best way to learn though. Anyways, thanks a lot! Take care!

Forum Member

Exclamation

Rookies aren't going to be cooking period! They may help peel potatoes or some else in the kitchen but no cooking.

They have enough to do for the first year beside cooking.

They will always be the first at the sink to wash dishes!!

Agree if a JAFR comes in with a jar of sauce , they will take it home. The gravy is made first hand in the house.

Forum Member

You throw this phrase around all of the time. Just makes you sound like an idiot. And an *******.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rookies aren't going to be cooking period! They may help peel potatoes or some else in the kitchen but no cooking.

They have enough to do for the first year beside cooking.

They will always be the first at the sink to wash dishes!!

Agree if a JAFR comes in with a jar of sauce , they will take it home. The gravy is made first hand in the house.
    So a Rook who went through culinary school for 2 years before deciding on firefighting as a profession would be assigned potato detail? I'd want them to cook every meal and get in the suds after dinner. We've had a few guys like that and it makes for some very nice dinners.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by barlaam1 View Post
    Meat balls Subs

Burgers

See this is what happens when you don't have enough Italians in a firehouse. Jar sauce does not belong in a firehouse, the same with pre-made meatballs, burgers are for lunch, and you can't cook an entire meal out of boxes and bags.

Forum Member

All departments are like your department, so broad statements are applicable in this case.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

You Texans wouldn't understand, all you guys do is dump some Campell's tomato soup over your "noodles" and call it a dinner.

MembersZone Subscriber

If any probie ______, then as an officer, I'd ______ till his _____ ______ all over the floor, and then make him mop it up!!
    Why?
    Because my parents had sex decades before his did, so I deserve respect!

Kids these days, ugh.

( insert random capitalized words and eyeroll emoticons for effect)
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    If any probie ______, then as an officer, I'd ______ till his _____ ______ all over the floor, and then make him mop it up!!
    Mad Libs are awesome, my kids do them all the time.

I'll go first.
    -----
    1. Speaks

2. Scream

3. Urine

4. Spills

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    You Texans wouldn't understand, all you guys do is dump some Campell's tomato soup over your "noodles" and call it a dinner.
    We invented barbecue and freedom.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    You throw this phrase around all of the time. Just makes you sound like an idiot. And an *******.
    Thank you, I appreciate that! And if you were an ancient roman emporer, your name would have been Ballbaggius Maximus.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    We invented barbecue and freedom.
    Don't forget leisure suits and livestock manipulation.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Don't forget leisure suits and livestock manipulation.
    Texas, **** yeah!

Thread Information