Forum Member

Default Streamlight "Vantage" on N6A Houston - Top mounted??

Hey all-

I am thinking about getting a Streamlight "Vantage" light for my Sam Houston N6A and I was wondering if anyone has mounted it on the top of the brim as opposed to under it.

Success or failure?

Thanks!

Forum Member

I'd bet you would like a $3.99 garrity light just as much. Its all I use and works just fine.

Forum Member

Not a fan of anything mounted above the brim with a clamp. Too easy to snag on something. Keep it under the brim. Just my 2c.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    I'd bet you would like a $3.99 garrity light just as much. Its all I use and works just fine.

That's what I have now Yes, it works great but I was just wondering about the Streamlight and thought it would throw a tighter, longer, brighter beam..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Not a fan of anything mounted above the brim with a clamp. Too easy to snag on something. Keep it under the brim. Just my 2c.
    Food for thought.. thank you.

Forum Member

Nobody has mounted one on top of the brim?..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkullKrusher2010 View Post
    Nobody has mounted one on top of the brim?..
    WHEN I WAS ALLOWED TO WEAR MY N6A....I had mine mounted up top. I'd check it periodically for snugness, never had a problem.

I played around with mounting it in the center (right in front of the helmet front), to flow with my line of sight, as well as on the side. I didn't use Bourkes with my lid, so the center mount area worked well.

Whichever you choose, I'm jealous you get to wear a 6A. I never realized how much I hate a 1010 until I had to go back to wearing it. Man do I miss my 6A....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
    WHEN I WAS ALLOWED TO WEAR MY N6A....I had mine mounted up top. I'd check it periodically for snugness, never had a problem.

I played around with mounting it in the center (right in front of the helmet front), to flow with my line of sight, as well as on the side. I didn't use Bourkes with my lid, so the center mount area worked well.

Whichever you choose, I'm jealous you get to wear a 6A. I never realized how much I hate a 1010 until I had to go back to wearing it. Man do I miss my 6A....
    And speaking of helmet lights, food for thought; there's nothing more annoying than being shined in the eyes during a job when someone is trying to relay info face to face with a big A S S hi-beam shining in your face!!

Cover it up!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
    And speaking of helmet lights, food for thought; there's nothing more annoying than being shined in the eyes during a job when someone is trying to relay info face to face with a big A S S hi-beam shining in your face!!

Cover it up!!!
    Thanks for the reply.. Still debating on getting it. I am just wondering about the nut working loose.

Yes, I am lucky to wear an N6A.. They say "How can you stand the weight of that?".. I say, with a smile on my face, "Very easily. You should try wearing a kevlar military helmet for days on end".. That usually shuts them up.

When talking to someone with my Garrity light on, I always keep that in mind.. I hate a light in my eyes also.. The light stays off and is only turned on when I absolutely NEED it on.

Forum Member

I wear a N6A on mine I have the Streamlight helmet band with a Fenix TK12 Light stuck through the holes. I like the light because A. It is very bright and B. it has a strobe feature which could help in Mayday situations for locating me.
    It was a bit pricey 50 bucks but hey its My butt. There is no better investment than ones own safety

Forum Member

I bit the bullet and ordered up the Streamlight Vantage and a pack of 12 lithium batteries last night .. I will just tuck the Garrity in my pocket for just incase.

Forum Member

Hey brother. There is nothing I have ever stressed more than to have a backup flashlight. Its one of the most overlooked and most underestimated tool we have in our arsenal. Though I feel like I am preaching to the choir I would stress that you do periodic self inventories to make sure your lights have not eroded on the inside and that your garrity still works.

there is no worse feeling than needing it and not having it.

Bobby

Forum Member

First of all, big +1 on the back up flashlight. I personally think you should have a light on your coat, a light on your helmet and a light in your pocket. If you're doing any sort of S&R, especially in a large dwelling, a box light is probably a good idea too (I would carry one anyway).

So far as the Streamlight, I have one that was passed down to me from my dad. He used it for a while at the Academy with no problems. I think several of the instructors up there use and like that light. It stood up well to the heat as far as I can tell. I tried it above the brim for a few days, but found it was easier to turn on and off with it below the brim, so I moved it back. It worked fine, but I did notice that the brim creates a shadow within 3-4 feet in front of your helmet, so that could be an issue too.

Either way, I think you'll like it, it's a nice light, and the blue LED on the back is hella bright.
    Last edited by Jrvrescue; 02-19-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Fixing a mis-spelling

Forum Member

Thanks for the input brothers.. That Garrity has worked for me and now it is time to move up to the Vantage. I will never NOT have a Garrity light in a pocket from now on.. when this one dies, I will order up another to replace it.

My goal was to have the Vantage on the Sammy, Garrity in the pocket and the personal light from the BRT on the front of my turnout coat.. three way attack that has redundancy in mind.

Thread Information