MembersZone Subscriber

Default LED Scene lighting

Does anyone have any experience with LED flood lighting for body and brow lights? I know what the manufacturers say, and I could care less... I am asking for first hand end user information.

Forum Member

We have used them for almost a year on our Attack and we love them.
    http://www.sperryvillefire.com/news....iew=1&id=30717

Forum Member

I have used them as well - mainly Whelen Pioneer LED lights. You can get those in 12V or 110V, but the 12V definitely put out more Lumens. I also saw that FRC was coming out with an LED light and it seems to be pretty close to the Whelen 12V version. The Pioneer is a great light in my opinion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our new engine has a total LED lighting package including both emergency and scene lighting. On the rear there are two FRC 12 volt LED telescopic lights and centered above the pump operators panel is a Night Scan 12 volt LED light tower. These along with the side scene lights on the cab provide ample lighting in the work area.

http://www.bruinvfd.com/news.htm

Let's talk fire trucks!

I worked mutual aid last night with a company that used all Whelen Pioneer Plus LED scene lighting, and it was every bit as good as halogen/incandescent. It only reaffirms the head-to-head trials and tests we did last month when the local Whelen rep met us (the apparatus committee at work) to show how well his product worked. We were sold that night. Excellent lighting that doesn't require a $15k generator? We're sold.

FWIW, we're moving to all LED scene lighting both at work and at the VFD, which will include brow lights, pole lights, fixed lights, and Will-Burt Night Scan 2.3 12V LED light towers. The light that they produce is far more white/silver than the more "orange" light produced from comparable halogen bulbs, but once you get used to the different look, you'll be plenty pleased.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Our 2010 Engine came with Fire Research LED Lights, very impressive amount of light. We have the Focus, they just sent a flyer to the firehouse for the Evolution, 15000 Lumens. We have a Brow and two Telescopics.

Forum Member

Check the lumens BEFORE you buy. Whelen offers several choices as does Fire Research. The new Whelen Pioneer plus CAN put out 14,000 lumens and is a nice light. Haven't played with the Fr yet but knowing their products i'm sure they are very nice too. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

great feedback, thank you to all.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a brow light on 1 engine forward facing, it works well. We also installed last month a command light tower w/ 4 whelen super pioneer 150 watt heads, it works great, we love it. Only draw backs are here in snow country, snow sticks to the light heads, wont melt. stay safe

Forum Member

We just recently placed 3 Whelen Pioneer Plus single lights on our engine (1 on the brow, 1 each side on poles). Wow, it's unreal what these lights can do. Extremely bright and it barely takes any juice to run them. If you are looking at scene lighting for your apparatus and would prefer not to have a generator, look no further than these. Like someone said, the light does take some getting used to, but for what it can do for you, it's worth it. Personally I feel it's a "harsher" light than the usual halogens, but that's a small tradeoff for having an instant on light that doesn't require a generator. As bright as the Pioneer Plus singles are, I can only imagine how bright the doubles would be.

We did the installation and upgrade of our scene lights ourselves. It was a piece of cake, and very cool to take it outside at night and turn it on for the first time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hfpd352 View Post
    Our 2010 Engine came with Fire Research LED Lights, very impressive amount of light. We have the Focus, they just sent a flyer to the firehouse for the Evolution, 15000 Lumens. We have a Brow and two Telescopics.
    It just didn't "come with LED lights"!

It was specified to be that way.

Forum Member

Default Brow Light Idea

I've used the Whelen Pioneer LED on the Brow of some recent Engines and been very pleased with performance and just did the following:

for those with rural roads and visibility issues I put a Whelen Dual Head Pioneer on the brow and wired as well to the High Beams to work in conjuction and provides excellent long distance illumination and great as a Spot/Flood combination when stationary.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Aerialguy11 View Post
    for those with rural roads and visibility issues I put a Whelen Dual Head Pioneer on the brow and wired as well to the High Beams to work in conjuction and provides excellent long distance illumination and great as a Spot/Flood combination when stationary.
    Do you have the ability to turn on the brow lights without the headlights? I remember a NIOSH report that listed one of the contributing factors to a firefighter falling off a bridge was excessive low level (headlights) at the scene.

Forum Member

I've been fairly impressed with the Whelen Pioneers. I've never been on scene with them but I have dealt with them a good deal. Seem to be less failure prone than FRC halogens and like someone noted being able to have great light without the generator is really cool. The setup on the Havis Shield poles is pretty nice as well.

I've seen a few trucks with the brow lights wired in with the emergency lighting so you can toggle them on/off with the whites in the lightbar or put them on their own flasher.

I've only been hands on with FRC LED lights once but those were very impressive.

Forum Member

What is a typical price for one of these lights on a push up pole mount?

Forum Member

We bought ours online at (http://www.jsradiosales.com/products.asp?cat=279). They had the lowest online price that we could find, and they were priced lower than our local fire equipment supplier. Make sure you get the Pioneer Plus model. Not sure about push pole mounting price, we already had existing pole mounts.

Forum Member

FRC LED lights for us as well on the new engine. Brow lights are 110, side lights have both 110's and 12's. Light tower as well. Rear scene lights are 12's.

For the guy that asked, yes we can run the brow lights without the headlights being on.

Very happy with the setup and would/will do it again.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information