Forum Member

Ok thank you for the quick reply!

Forum Member

I'm guessing that means they'll shortlist enough trainees to start a class in July that will merge with a recruit academy in the Fall.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caput58 View Post
    I'm guessing that means they'll shortlist enough trainees to start a class in July that will merge with a recruit academy in the Fall.
    Thats usually how they do it. I was hoping for a full class of EMT/Paramedics given the retirement situation, but sounds like that's not going to happen. Oh well.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard how the budget situation is going in Portland?

Forum Member

Nobody will know until the new fiscal year which is June. Latest rumor I heard from a PDX FF is a 2M dollar cut which could mean layoffs, rolling blackouts or something else. Outlook is grim but nothing is for sure until june

Forum Member

The Mayors proposed budget is due out this week to be publicly posted I believe in a couple of weeks. I think that will give you a pretty good idea as to how bad it will be. DblBlack is right though, if they cut two million that's two stations according to their requested budget. The outlook is definitely grim right now, but as a buddy of mine who works up there says "they always manage to find millions lying around somewhere to pay for these things". Hopefully they find those millions again.

Forum Member

The proposed budget it out and you can find it here:

Proposed Budget Documents

It looks like (and I'm no expert at reading a budget) he is proposing cutting 9 FTE's (none are line personnel) and will not be funding one of the rescues. The other rescue looks like it's getting a one time influx to fund it. Not sure how much this proposed budget will change by June, but at this point it looks a little more promising than before.

Forum Member

any updates, rumors, word on the street, etc.. getting antsy. Anyone from the trainee side hear anything, I think someone mentioned some trainees would be receiving emails or phone calls in may?

Forum Member

I'm a Trainee candidate. I am also waiting on the "end of may" email. Standing By-

Forum Member

Things are still looking up as far as the budget goes;

Council closing in on budget

Forum Member

Also, may 30th and 31st is when the budget will be initially approved it looks like, so maybe we will hear something within the next two weeks.

Forum Member

I'm still not expecting to hear anything until July. The budget may be good news, but as the email stated a lot will depend on how many are retiring next month.

Forum Member

Got an email today saying that trainee candidates on the short list will be notified before the end of the business day today. If anyone gets an email saying they are on the short list please post a comment!

Forum Member

I got the first email jn1989 but unfortunately not the one telling me I'm on the "short list"

Forum Member

Im sorry. Do you know if anyone has gotten an email that they are on the short list. I thought 'end of business day' would be 5 o'clock.

Forum Member

Don't know anything about the list or why it isn't out yet. Can tell you all that right now that we are looking at possible hiring group sometime early 2013. That is the current rumor at least. With it taking almost a year to complete training they need to hire sometime around then to keep up with the retirements that are projected over the next year. So not a lot of info for all of you waiting to hear, I would hope that HR gets a list put together so everyone at elast knows where they are on it. Good luck

Forum Member

Nozzleman-

Is the budget situation looking pretty good? I know it was supposed to adopted last week but I haven't seen any info on that yet on the website.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brogun View Post
    Nozzleman-

Is the budget situation looking pretty good? I know it was supposed to adopted last week but I haven't seen any info on that yet on the website.
    We did OK budget wise, didn't loose any positions. Sounds like we may loose the RRV rescues but those people just go back into the traveling pool. We lost some non sworn support personell. As far as I know the final budget has been adopted by the city.

Forum Member

Nozzleman -

Do you know what this supposed short list that the trainees got is all about? Seems like if they're starting trainees they will either need a full academy late 2012 or make them wait until early 2013???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skitahoe View Post
    Nozzleman -

Do you know what this supposed short list that the trainees got is all about? Seems like if they're starting trainees they will either need a full academy late 2012 or make them wait until early 2013???
    I don't have any idea what that is about. Can tell you that no one is starting anytime soon. TAC isn't even staffed right now. The late this year early next year projections are for whatever group is hired first, whether it is a Trainee group or FF/EMT group. Wouldn't be surprised to see a trainee group start late in the year to join up with a FF/EMT group in the early spring. But that is pure specualation on my part, nothing other than a guess.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzleman25 View Post
    I don't have any idea what that is about. Can tell you that no one is starting anytime soon. TAC isn't even staffed right now. The late this year early next year projections are for whatever group is hired first, whether it is a Trainee group or FF/EMT group. Wouldn't be surprised to see a trainee group start late in the year to join up with a FF/EMT group in the early spring. But that is pure specualation on my part, nothing other than a guess.
    Thanks for the info. At least I can be fairly certain that when we hear something, it won't be to start immediately. A bummer, but good things come to those who wait I guess

MembersZone Subscriber

Ski,

I've got a friend who made the short list for the trainee group. I think he said there are 30 of them. My understanding is that when Portland hires a Trainee group, they will pull from these 30 for it. They were encouraged to maintain their EMT if they already have it, and if they don't Portland will be scheduling an EMT class for them sometime in the near future, it may have said late summer or early fall. They were not given any dates though...

I'm in the same boat as you, on the EMT list and still wondering about the results from the Chief's Interview. Yeah, we'll probably be waiting awhile longer before we hear, but I'm glad to know that something's going on with the list now. Maybe we can get excited when they staff the TAC again...

Nozzleman, thanks for the updates you keep giving us! Even if it is speculation or a rumor, its a more educated guess than we can come up with right now, and we appreciate it!

Forum Member

Nozzle and NW,

Thanks for the updates. Although everything is speculation, it's at least something!

Forum Member

Does anyone know how long this list lasts or when they are going to test again?

Forum Member

Sizzle,
    I believe the list is good through December 2014. I could be wrong, but that's what seems to be stuck in my head for some reason.

Thread Information