Forum Member

I found some interesting reads if anyone is interested. This time, it's actually about Portland, Oregon.

http://www.portlandonline.com/omf/index.cfm?a=383734&

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl...ing_money.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...tland_fir.html

Forum Member

I think the second one is most interesting and will have the most effect on the department as the sentiment of PFR being "wasteful" is growing in city hall. With Hales winning the election for mayor, I think PFR will have a fight on their hands to maintain the levels they are at right now. I heard a rumor when I was up there last week that Hales thinks the bureau is OVER staffed by about 20 right now.
    Sadly, this all may mean that the list we're on will expire before any real hiring is done. Between current members not retiring and a new mayor that will fight the bureau on most spending issues, this may be a mostly dead list.
    Just my opinion (and I hope it's not true), but only time will tell. Congrats by the way to all who finished at the very top of the list!

Forum Member

What would you consider the very top of the list in this particular case?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MQuinones View Post
    What would you consider the very top of the list in this particular case?
    Top 10 or 15. Last couple academies I saw had only a couple FF/EMT's paired with six or seven trainee's. So, if that keeps up it would take five academies to even make it to 10 if nobody got kicked due to background/medical. This of course if figuring that they will only have one year left on the list by the time they start hiring. Again, only my two cents and it's all guessing/speculation on my part so don't hold me to any of this.

Forum Member

Thats fairly depressing... le sigh. Thanks for the info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MQuinones View Post
    Thats fairly depressing... le sigh. Thanks for the info.
    Again, just guessing here. Don't get too depressed off my opinions

Forum Member

No one knows for sure when we are going to hire again. Going to depend heavily on how many retirements happen this winter which appears there will be a decent amount and also next Summer. We are traveler heavy right now and the chief wants that number reduced before we hire again. The other thing that will impact hiring is the budget that the new mayor comes up with. Don't get depressed yet, we will ahve to hire at some point we just aren't sure as to when. Popular opinion leans towards next fall for the next hire, things can change quickly though.

Forum Member

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/fire/article/434099

Latest news I can find. Trying to keep the faith but from what I gather from this proposed budgets, station closures will be in the works.. Am I reading this right and does anyone have any other updates?

UPDATE: Found out this was the submitted budget, so probably some scare tactics from the Fire Bureau to avoid a 10% reduction? Hope so..
    Last edited by slapinjoe; 02-15-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Forum Member

most of the academies are mixed recruit and ff/emt. They do not favor recruits over FF/emt's, usually hiring 50% from each list.

also you could be number 20 and still be in the first academy. You never know who will stay eligible, who will move on to other things, who will do something stupid like get a dui. At some point hiring will start up again, and you wont have to be top 10 to get a job.

Quote Originally Posted by skitahoe View Post
    Top 10 or 15. Last couple academies I saw had only a couple FF/EMT's paired with six or seven trainee's. So, if that keeps up it would take five academies to even make it to 10 if nobody got kicked due to background/medical. This of course if figuring that they will only have one year left on the list by the time they start hiring. Again, only my two cents and it's all guessing/speculation on my part so don't hold me to any of this.
    Last edited by hammerhome; 02-24-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slapinjoe View Post
    http://www.portlandoregon.gov/fire/article/434099

Latest news I can find. Trying to keep the faith but from what I gather from this proposed budgets, station closures will be in the works.. Am I reading this right and does anyone have any other updates?

UPDATE: Found out this was the submitted budget, so probably some scare tactics from the Fire Bureau to avoid a 10% reduction? Hope so..
    Things are very bad budget wise right now, the submitted budget is just the first phase of things. Not scare tactics just the bureau doing what the mayor asked for in submitting 10% cuts. We have been cut just about every year fo rthe past 14 or so and are fairly lean. There will be a lot of jockying and negotiating over the next few months. Hopefully we don't close stations but I will be surprised if we don't. KATU.com had a decent story on response times in Portland yesterday and the effects stions closures will have on that also.

Don't get discouraged, we have been through this before and it will cycle back around.

Forum Member

in your experience would they let the list expire before any hiring was done, or could they possibly extend it if they hadn't used it? I guess what I'm asking is in your opinion do you think any hiring will be done off this list at all?

I know its dynamic, and things change all the time, but I appreciate any insight you can give!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slapinjoe View Post
    in your experience would they let the list expire before any hiring was done, or could they possibly extend it if they hadn't used it? I guess what I'm asking is in your opinion do you think any hiring will be done off this list at all?

I know its dynamic, and things change all the time, but I appreciate any insight you can give!
    I have heard rumors that they are looking at extending the list, they really like the list and want to hire of it. Just gonna take more time before that happens. They have extended lists before but it has been a long time, I wanna say they ran about 4 year lists 20 years or so ago.

I hope for all of you on the list that they extended it, tough spot to be in right now especially with our budget situation. We will hire again, just nor sure exactlly when.

Forum Member

Any word on the hiring freeze? The last email I got was about 6 months ago for the FF/EMT list that said I was 63rd on the hiring list. I'm from Los Angeles and have flown up there 3 times (Test, CPAT, Interview) and wanted to know if anyone up in Portland has heard anything. Thanks, Everyone.

Forum Member

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/fire/article/473388

Latest news I could find regarding Portland's budget. Great news for those 26. Here's to hoping they still use this list.

Forum Member

Did anyone else get this email today??? Are they just reconnecting with everyone on the list, or are a select few being LOOKED at?

In 2011 you were placed on the Firefighter Trainee eligible list. Please let us know whether you are interested in remaining on this list and are still available for consideration for hire by responding to this e-mail no later than 4:30pm, Friday, January 24, 2014.

If we do not hear from you by 4:30pm, Friday, January 24, 2014, we will remove your name from the eligible list.

Thank you for your interest in working at the City of Portland.

Forum Member

I received this email today also! I was questioning the same thing you are. Hopefully they will hire off of the list soon!

Forum Member

Hello - I just discovered this thread. Good luck to all of you guys on the list from 2011.

Does anyone have an idea how deep that list goes? I moved up here a year ago to try to join PF&R and obviously I'm still waiting. Any insight on how long this wait would be for someone who has yet to even get an interview? It sounds like it could be quite awhile if they've still got you guys from 2011 to go through first...

Thanks & Good luck everybody!
    Last edited by jerod8888; 02-18-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Forum Member

I am on the list from that test and am number 70 after the interviews. Last thing I heard was that they were trying to decide weather or not to extend the list ANOTHER year or to do another test this summer. I think that there has only been 1 academy used from this list so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerod8888 View Post
    Hello - I just discovered this thread. Good luck to all of you guys on the list from 2011.

Does anyone have an idea how deep that list goes? I moved up here a year ago to try to join PF&R and obviously I'm still waiting. Any insight on how long this wait would be for someone who has yet to even get an interview? It sounds like it could be quite awhile if they've still got you guys from 2011 to go through first...

Thanks & Good luck everybody!

Thread Information