Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Your welcome and good luck.

For everyone testing I have said it many times on here and I will continue to beat that dead horse. GET YOURSELVES IN SHAPE. Our PAT isn't difficult if your in shape, if your not different story. Our academy is very physical and if you come in out of shape you will struggle that is a guarantee. Once training starts it is difficult to be able to work your way into shape. Give yourself every advantage you can to succeed, you don't want to be on the radar because you are struggling physically. Good luck everyone, Portland is an excellent department and well worth the effort.

Now get to studying!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzleman25 View Post
    Your welcome and good luck.

For everyone testing I have said it many times on here and I will continue to beat that dead horse. GET YOURSELVES IN SHAPE. Our PAT isn't difficult if your in shape, if your not different story. Our academy is very physical and if you come in out of shape you will struggle that is a guarantee. Once training starts it is difficult to be able to work your way into shape. Give yourself every advantage you can to succeed, you don't want to be on the radar because you are struggling physically. Good luck everyone, Portland is an excellent department and well worth the effort.

Now get to studying!
    I can second that the physical is tough. I'm in fairly decent shape and workout 3-4 days a week and i was sucking wind at the end. I was wondering if anybody knows if Portland will be taking people from the current list to the August acadmey or will they pull from the new list? Im on the current list and a buddy of mine that was in the same interview group just got a job offer and starts acadmey in May.

If there is an August academy it is probably off the current list since the new test isn't till August and it takes time for the process to get done. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone happen to know when the first academy is expected to start from this new test in August?

My guess would be late in the year if not early in 2012, Don't know for sure but it takes time to get through the process. Haven't looked at everything but I am assuming that with going back to the written type test we used to give that they will also go back to interviews, those take time and then you have to get people through the PAT. So the process takes a few months. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Any idea as to the timeframe for interviews? Specifically, how soon after the written test oral boards usually are held and if there is more than one interview. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
    Any idea as to the timeframe for interviews? Specifically, how soon after the written test oral boards usually are held and if there is more than one interview. Thanks in advance.
    Not sure what the format is going to be this time around. In the past there has been an oral interview portion of the test which will generally happen a month or more after the written. The written and the Oral interview have determined final score and depending on which test you take (FF/EMT or trainee) it determines your rank on the FF/EMT list. Then there is a chiefs interview closer to hiring where they decide who will get hired out of a group of people, example they interview 1-20 and hire 12 out of that group. Just a few things that have happened in the past, not counting that terrible video based test they gave last time.

Forum Member

Not sure what the format is going to be this time around. In the past there has been an oral interview portion of the test which will generally happen a month or more after the written. The written and the Oral interview have determined final score and depending on which test you take (FF/EMT or trainee) it determines your rank on the FF/EMT list. Then there is a chiefs interview closer to hiring where they decide who will get hired out of a group of people, example they interview 1-20 and hire 12 out of that group. Just a few things that have happened in the past, not counting that terrible video based test they gave last time.
    As far as the trainee list goes, is it ranked in the same way? I've heard different things about the trainee program including that the list is not ranked and its more of a lottery.

As far as the trainee list goes, is it ranked in the same way? I've heard different things about the trainee program including that the list is not ranked and its more of a lottery.
    I can honestly say I have no Idea how the trainee list is ranked. It has some sort of ranking I am sure but it isn't known out in the companys. It is for sure not random I do know that. Sorry I can't be more help on that part.

Forum Member

I can honestly say I have no Idea how the trainee list is ranked. It has some sort of ranking I am sure but it isn't known out in the companys. It is for sure not random I do know that. Sorry I can't be more help on that part.
    No problem, thanks for the help. I'm knee deep in studying the book, and preparing for interviews so I'll give it my all and see where it puts me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Retirement

What type of retirment does Portland have?

Enrollment opens in the morning, good luck to those signing up.

http://www.portlandonline.com/fire/i...353176&c=50972

Forum Member

Anybody else not able to apply yet? I am on government jobs but not seeing that it's opened yet!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eherm33 View Post
    Anybody else not able to apply yet? I am on government jobs but not seeing that it's opened yet!
    I just submitted my app. Go to the Portland Fire website and there's a link there to the job posting.

Forum Member

I just submitted my app. Go to the Portland Fire website and there's a link there to the job posting.
    Thank you! That worked, got it in!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eherm33 View Post
    Thank you! That worked, got it in!
    Best of luck to you!

Forum Member

Done and done. Now to just wait and study.

Hope to see you all August 1st.

Forum Member

Also completed application. Really like Portland's department and hope to be able to move on in the process. Good luck to you all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also applied, I put in for the Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic position. What I find interesting is the written exam is the same for both, but for Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic it is weighted 100%. While for Firefighter Trainee it is pass/fail. Why is that?

Forum Member

have anyone heard how many people they are looking to hire?

Thread Information