Forum Member

Any idea as to the timeframe for interviews? Specifically, how soon after the written test oral boards usually are held and if there is more than one interview. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
    Any idea as to the timeframe for interviews? Specifically, how soon after the written test oral boards usually are held and if there is more than one interview. Thanks in advance.
    Not sure what the format is going to be this time around. In the past there has been an oral interview portion of the test which will generally happen a month or more after the written. The written and the Oral interview have determined final score and depending on which test you take (FF/EMT or trainee) it determines your rank on the FF/EMT list. Then there is a chiefs interview closer to hiring where they decide who will get hired out of a group of people, example they interview 1-20 and hire 12 out of that group. Just a few things that have happened in the past, not counting that terrible video based test they gave last time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzleman25 View Post
    Not sure what the format is going to be this time around. In the past there has been an oral interview portion of the test which will generally happen a month or more after the written. The written and the Oral interview have determined final score and depending on which test you take (FF/EMT or trainee) it determines your rank on the FF/EMT list. Then there is a chiefs interview closer to hiring where they decide who will get hired out of a group of people, example they interview 1-20 and hire 12 out of that group. Just a few things that have happened in the past, not counting that terrible video based test they gave last time.
    As far as the trainee list goes, is it ranked in the same way? I've heard different things about the trainee program including that the list is not ranked and its more of a lottery.

Forum Member

As far as the trainee list goes, is it ranked in the same way? I've heard different things about the trainee program including that the list is not ranked and its more of a lottery.
    I can honestly say I have no Idea how the trainee list is ranked. It has some sort of ranking I am sure but it isn't known out in the companys. It is for sure not random I do know that. Sorry I can't be more help on that part.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzleman25 View Post
    I can honestly say I have no Idea how the trainee list is ranked. It has some sort of ranking I am sure but it isn't known out in the companys. It is for sure not random I do know that. Sorry I can't be more help on that part.
    No problem, thanks for the help. I'm knee deep in studying the book, and preparing for interviews so I'll give it my all and see where it puts me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Retirement

What type of retirment does Portland have?

Forum Member

Enrollment opens in the morning, good luck to those signing up.

http://www.portlandonline.com/fire/i...353176&c=50972

Forum Member

Anybody else not able to apply yet? I am on government jobs but not seeing that it's opened yet!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eherm33 View Post
    Anybody else not able to apply yet? I am on government jobs but not seeing that it's opened yet!
    I just submitted my app. Go to the Portland Fire website and there's a link there to the job posting.

Forum Member

I just submitted my app. Go to the Portland Fire website and there's a link there to the job posting.
    Thank you! That worked, got it in!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eherm33 View Post
    Thank you! That worked, got it in!
    Best of luck to you!

Forum Member

Done and done. Now to just wait and study.

Hope to see you all August 1st.

Forum Member

Also completed application. Really like Portland's department and hope to be able to move on in the process. Good luck to you all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also applied, I put in for the Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic position. What I find interesting is the written exam is the same for both, but for Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic it is weighted 100%. While for Firefighter Trainee it is pass/fail. Why is that?

Forum Member

have anyone heard how many people they are looking to hire?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    I also applied, I put in for the Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic position. What I find interesting is the written exam is the same for both, but for Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic it is weighted 100%. While for Firefighter Trainee it is pass/fail. Why is that?
    Where did you hear/read that?

Forum Member

How's everyone doing with the reading material? Anyone start making up their own practice questions?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TruckOps84 View Post
    Where did you hear/read that?
    Read the info under "recruitment process" on the job announcements. You'll see what am talking about.

Forum Member

Yeah you're right, that's weird. I went to an informational meeting put on by PFR and they didn't even mention it there. They must just want to weigh the trainee candiates based solely off of their interviews. Makes sense I suppose, I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that can do great on a test but can't actually do the job when it counts.

Forum Member

I'm hoping to get into a trainee position. Anyone have an idea how many trainee candidates will go to interviews after the passing the written?

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone else put in for the Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic position? Just be sure to put in for the position that best suits you. If you don't, it could come back and bite you in the a** during interviews. By the way, this comes from a liable source. That's all I will say. Good luck to the rest of you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    Anyone else put in for the Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic position? Just be sure to put in for the position that best suits you. If you don't, it could come back and bite you in the a** during interviews. By the way, this comes from a liable source. That's all I will say. Good luck to the rest of you.
    I was under the impression that if you have your EMT-B, then you are not able to sign up for the firefighter trainee.

Forum Member

Anyone know what their schedule is (24 on 24 off, 48 on 72 off, etc.)?

Forum Member

FIREFIGHTER TRAINEES
    Candidates with little or no fire service experience are encouraged to apply for the Firefighter Trainee Program.

FIREFIGHTER EMT-BASIC/PARAMEDICS
    Applicants with fire service experience and who hold a minimum of an Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B) certification are encouraged to apply for the Firefighter EMT/Paramedic exam

Looks like even if you have your emt-b or medic certs, you still would apply for trainee if you have no experience. that's my understanding based on the email that was sent out from Lindsay W.

Another question...did anybody notice that the app asked if you would be 18 years old by the year 2014? wondering if that has anything to do with hiring dates or anything like that...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar N. View Post
    Anyone know what their schedule is (24 on 24 off, 48 on 72 off, etc.)?
    Straight Detroit - 24/48.

Thread Information