Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    I also applied, I put in for the Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic position. What I find interesting is the written exam is the same for both, but for Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic it is weighted 100%. While for Firefighter Trainee it is pass/fail. Why is that?
    Where did you hear/read that?

Forum Member

How's everyone doing with the reading material? Anyone start making up their own practice questions?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TruckOps84 View Post
    Where did you hear/read that?
    Read the info under "recruitment process" on the job announcements. You'll see what am talking about.

Forum Member

Yeah you're right, that's weird. I went to an informational meeting put on by PFR and they didn't even mention it there. They must just want to weigh the trainee candiates based solely off of their interviews. Makes sense I suppose, I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that can do great on a test but can't actually do the job when it counts.

Forum Member

I'm hoping to get into a trainee position. Anyone have an idea how many trainee candidates will go to interviews after the passing the written?

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone else put in for the Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic position? Just be sure to put in for the position that best suits you. If you don't, it could come back and bite you in the a** during interviews. By the way, this comes from a liable source. That's all I will say. Good luck to the rest of you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    Anyone else put in for the Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic position? Just be sure to put in for the position that best suits you. If you don't, it could come back and bite you in the a** during interviews. By the way, this comes from a liable source. That's all I will say. Good luck to the rest of you.
    I was under the impression that if you have your EMT-B, then you are not able to sign up for the firefighter trainee.

Forum Member

Anyone know what their schedule is (24 on 24 off, 48 on 72 off, etc.)?

Forum Member

FIREFIGHTER TRAINEES
    Candidates with little or no fire service experience are encouraged to apply for the Firefighter Trainee Program.

FIREFIGHTER EMT-BASIC/PARAMEDICS
    Applicants with fire service experience and who hold a minimum of an Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B) certification are encouraged to apply for the Firefighter EMT/Paramedic exam

Looks like even if you have your emt-b or medic certs, you still would apply for trainee if you have no experience. that's my understanding based on the email that was sent out from Lindsay W.

Another question...did anybody notice that the app asked if you would be 18 years old by the year 2014? wondering if that has anything to do with hiring dates or anything like that...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar N. View Post
    Anyone know what their schedule is (24 on 24 off, 48 on 72 off, etc.)?
    Straight Detroit - 24/48.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fieronfire View Post
    I was under the impression that if you have your EMT-B, then you are not able to sign up for the firefighter trainee.
    Not true. I have a friend who just finished probation as a trainee. He had his EMT and was a resident volunteer for 1 year prior.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguy85 View Post
    FIREFIGHTER TRAINEES
    Candidates with little or no fire service experience are encouraged to apply for the Firefighter Trainee Program.

FIREFIGHTER EMT-BASIC/PARAMEDICS
    Applicants with fire service experience and who hold a minimum of an Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B) certification are encouraged to apply for the Firefighter EMT/Paramedic exam

Looks like even if you have your emt-b or medic certs, you still would apply for trainee if you have no experience. that's my understanding based on the email that was sent out from Lindsay W.

Another question...did anybody notice that the app asked if you would be 18 years old by the year 2014? wondering if that has anything to do with hiring dates or anything like that...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it say that Fire Technology classes at a college also counted as experience?

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    Straight Detroit - 24/48.
    Thank you!

Forum Member

Ok, the way I read the app. it seems that if you have any kind of firefighting experience you are suppose to put in for the EMT-B. If this is the case and I do not have my EMT-B are they going to put me through the class? It seems that there are two different kind of recruit classes, do they have a "streamlined" recruit class and if so what does it entail?

On a completely separate note, I am coming from Charleston SC to take this test and it is not going to be cheap. I need to know if this is worth it. Are they just starting a new list to go off of for the next two years? Or are they in need of people fast? Does anyone know how many people they are looking to hire?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devin.Keber View Post
    Ok, the way I read the app. it seems that if you have any kind of firefighting experience you are suppose to put in for the EMT-B. If this is the case and I do not have my EMT-B are they going to put me through the class? It seems that there are two different kind of recruit classes, do they have a "streamlined" recruit class and if so what does it entail?

On a completely separate note, I am coming from Charleston SC to take this test and it is not going to be cheap. I need to know if this is worth it. Are they just starting a new list to go off of for the next two years? Or are they in need of people fast? Does anyone know how many people they are looking to hire?
    As far as I know from the few folks I've talked to down there (Firefighters, not officers so the info isn't necessarily 100% accurate of course), they definitely aren't looking for anyone quickly. But you never know how these things will go - I say better to take the trip and hope rather than miss it and have no chance. Good luck!

Forum Member

The app says if you have fire experience (OR college coursework in fire science) AND you have an EMT-B you should apply for the Firefighter/EMT. If you don't have your EMT-B you should be taking the trainee exam. If you do not have fire service experience or college coursework you should take the trainee exam.

Forum Member

Ok so I messed this part up, I filled out the Firefighter EMT-B/P application and not the trainee app. I am in the process of getting my EMT-B but do not curently have it. I sent an e-mail to HR in hopes of them telling me what to do. Are there any sugnestions or phone numbers I can call to fix this problem? The deadline is coming fast and I would really like to fix this quickly.

If I submitted the wrong app and I cannot send in the trainee app should I still come and take the test?

Forum Member

Yeah definitely take the test. You don't need to have your EMT until February anyway so you have plenty of time to get it.

I think you have to have your EMT-B by the time you recieve an offer of employment. So if your in the process of getting it you should be fine. Finish it up and go from there, lots of time to get it done. Good luck.

Forum Member

I know someone asked this question a few posts ago. But the answer was not clear enough for me to make my decision to make the trip from So Cal. So does anyone else have better inside info on if they're hiring right away, or is this for a list?

We have been hiring very steady for a long time, appears things are going to slow down a bit late this year. Not a given but a possibility, have gone through this before a couple years ago and we continued to hire. Can’t say for sure one way or another what is going to happen with the new lists. Portland is a great department and worth the effort to get hired.

Thread Information