Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fieronfire View Post
    I was under the impression that if you have your EMT-B, then you are not able to sign up for the firefighter trainee.
    Not true. I have a friend who just finished probation as a trainee. He had his EMT and was a resident volunteer for 1 year prior.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguy85 View Post
    FIREFIGHTER TRAINEES
    Candidates with little or no fire service experience are encouraged to apply for the Firefighter Trainee Program.

FIREFIGHTER EMT-BASIC/PARAMEDICS
    Applicants with fire service experience and who hold a minimum of an Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B) certification are encouraged to apply for the Firefighter EMT/Paramedic exam

Looks like even if you have your emt-b or medic certs, you still would apply for trainee if you have no experience. that's my understanding based on the email that was sent out from Lindsay W.

Another question...did anybody notice that the app asked if you would be 18 years old by the year 2014? wondering if that has anything to do with hiring dates or anything like that...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it say that Fire Technology classes at a college also counted as experience?

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    Straight Detroit - 24/48.
    Thank you!

Forum Member

Ok, the way I read the app. it seems that if you have any kind of firefighting experience you are suppose to put in for the EMT-B. If this is the case and I do not have my EMT-B are they going to put me through the class? It seems that there are two different kind of recruit classes, do they have a "streamlined" recruit class and if so what does it entail?

On a completely separate note, I am coming from Charleston SC to take this test and it is not going to be cheap. I need to know if this is worth it. Are they just starting a new list to go off of for the next two years? Or are they in need of people fast? Does anyone know how many people they are looking to hire?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devin.Keber View Post
    Ok, the way I read the app. it seems that if you have any kind of firefighting experience you are suppose to put in for the EMT-B. If this is the case and I do not have my EMT-B are they going to put me through the class? It seems that there are two different kind of recruit classes, do they have a "streamlined" recruit class and if so what does it entail?

On a completely separate note, I am coming from Charleston SC to take this test and it is not going to be cheap. I need to know if this is worth it. Are they just starting a new list to go off of for the next two years? Or are they in need of people fast? Does anyone know how many people they are looking to hire?
    As far as I know from the few folks I've talked to down there (Firefighters, not officers so the info isn't necessarily 100% accurate of course), they definitely aren't looking for anyone quickly. But you never know how these things will go - I say better to take the trip and hope rather than miss it and have no chance. Good luck!

Forum Member

The app says if you have fire experience (OR college coursework in fire science) AND you have an EMT-B you should apply for the Firefighter/EMT. If you don't have your EMT-B you should be taking the trainee exam. If you do not have fire service experience or college coursework you should take the trainee exam.

Forum Member

Ok so I messed this part up, I filled out the Firefighter EMT-B/P application and not the trainee app. I am in the process of getting my EMT-B but do not curently have it. I sent an e-mail to HR in hopes of them telling me what to do. Are there any sugnestions or phone numbers I can call to fix this problem? The deadline is coming fast and I would really like to fix this quickly.

If I submitted the wrong app and I cannot send in the trainee app should I still come and take the test?

Forum Member

Yeah definitely take the test. You don't need to have your EMT until February anyway so you have plenty of time to get it.

Forum Member

I think you have to have your EMT-B by the time you recieve an offer of employment. So if your in the process of getting it you should be fine. Finish it up and go from there, lots of time to get it done. Good luck.

Forum Member

I know someone asked this question a few posts ago. But the answer was not clear enough for me to make my decision to make the trip from So Cal. So does anyone else have better inside info on if they're hiring right away, or is this for a list?

Forum Member

We have been hiring very steady for a long time, appears things are going to slow down a bit late this year. Not a given but a possibility, have gone through this before a couple years ago and we continued to hire. Can’t say for sure one way or another what is going to happen with the new lists. Portland is a great department and worth the effort to get hired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzleman25 View Post
    We have been hiring very steady for a long time, appears things are going to slow down a bit late this year. Not a given but a possibility, have gone through this before a couple years ago and we continued to hire. Canít say for sure one way or another what is going to happen with the new lists. Portland is a great department and worth the effort to get hired.
    Thank you for the quick reply!

Forum Member

Default Portland Written

Any idea on how soon word will get out on approvals to take the written?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrf215 View Post
    Any idea on how soon word will get out on approvals to take the written?
    My status changed on governmentjobs.com yesterday from "Application Received" to "Written Test", but no date yet. Looks like they're in the system!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktcan View Post
    My status changed on governmentjobs.com yesterday from "Application Received" to "Written Test", but no date yet. Looks like they're in the system!
    Same for me, and when you click on "Written Exam" it gives you details about the different steps. It say "MQ's - Pass, Written Exam - Current Step", but no date or time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philk2511 View Post
    Same for me, and when you click on "Written Exam" it gives you details about the different steps. It say "MQ's - Pass, Written Exam - Current Step", but no date or time.
    That's exactly what mine says. I'm very excited, and honestly, a little relieved that I apparently (at least so far) picked the "right" application to fill out. lol!

Forum Member

Just checked mine, same status as everyone else. Got scared for a second there....

How's everyone doing with studying the book? Any ideas what the questions will look like?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
    Just checked mine, same status as everyone else. Got scared for a second there....

How's everyone doing with studying the book? Any ideas what the questions will look like?
    Someone else on here mentioned that every single word is fair game.

I'm going through, reading and highlighting, making flashcards and reviewing the snot out of those.

I wonder if its at all similar to the FPSI test, like Tacoma gave or Burbank...? Anybody know?

Forum Member

Just checked my account and it is the same as everyone else that posted on here. I am super excited to fly up and take the written exam. As far as the date and time that everyone is wondering about, that was listed on the job description. Copied Below

"The written test will only be held on Monday, August 1, 2011 at the OREGON CONVENTION CENTER located at 777 N.E. Martin Luther King Blvd., Portland, OR 97212. The examination times will be scheduled based on the first letter of your last name. The test will start promptly as scheduled. Please review the schedule carefully. Only applicants who have submitted their application on time will be permitted to take the written examination. YOU MUST BRING PHOTO IDENTIFICATION SUCH AS A DRIVER’S LICENSE, PASSPORT, OR DMV ID IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION.

Check-in time for A-L 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Exam Begins 9:00 a.m.

Check-in time for M-Z 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Exam Begins 2:00 p.m.

The check-in times for each exam will begin one hour before the scheduled exam times. YOU MUST BE IN THE CHECK-IN LINE BEFORE THE DOORS ARE CLOSED, TO PARTICIPATE IN THE EXAMINATION PROCESS (THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS SO PLEASE PLAN YOUR ARRIVAL ACCORDINGLY).

PLEASE NOTE: PURSES, BACKPACKS, BAGS, CELLULAR PHONES, PAGERS, CALCULATORS, OR ANY OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICES WILL NOT BE ADMITTED INTO THE TESTING AREA. IF YOU BRING ANY OF THESE ITEMS, YOU WILL NOT BE ADMITTED AND YOU MUST SECURE THEM ELSEWHERE. DUE TO TESTING REQUIREMENTS AND CONFIEDNTIALITY, ANYONE FOUND WITH ONE OF THESE DEVICES IN THE TESTING ROOM WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DISQUALIFIED. ADDITIONALLY, THIS IS A TIMED, TWO-HOUR, WRITTEN EXAMINATION, THEREFORE THERE ARE NO SCHEDULED RESTROOM BREAKS DURING THE TESTING PERIOD, AND FOOD AND DRINKS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN THE TESTING AREA."
    Last edited by Qinkai; 07-07-2011 at 02:29 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone happen to know how many total questions will be on the written exam?

Forum Member

Heard from a source within Portland Fire today that after this year's recruitment Portland won't be hiring for a while, up to 5 years. Can anyone confirm or deny this information?

Forum Member

Don't know your source but that's completely opposite to what I've heard from other PFR sources. Also a rumor, but I've heard that there is a potential for over 100 retirements over the next couple years. But again, all heresay.

Forum Member

I thought it was a little weird too, being the rather large department they are.

KTF
    Forum Member

Just got my email for the written. Remember to write down your #. See ya'll on the 1st.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii44 View Post
    Just got my email for the written. Remember to write down your #. See ya'll on the 1st.
    I haven't gotten anything yet, hopefully will get the email soon..

Default Paramedics?

Does anyone know if there is any preference given to individuals with medic certs? I understand we all take the same written test but do they separate the candidates down the road to fulfill medic slots? How does it work? Any info is appreciated.

Thread Information