Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qinkai View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows of somewhere that I can secure stuff around the convention center. I am flying in the day before the test and will have a backpack with cell phone and other items but it says nothing is allowed in the testing area. Is there somewhere that I can secure my things while testing since I won't have a car to lock them in?
    How are you getting from the airport to the Convention Center? I'd be happy to meet up with you if you want to leave your stuff in my car. I probably won't steal it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruckOps84 View Post
    How are you getting from the airport to the Convention Center? I'd be happy to meet up with you if you want to leave your stuff in my car. I probably won't steal it
    I am taking the MAX light rail. I will send you a PM!

Forum Member

So first I got an email saying my app was rejected for trainee, now I got an email today saying they reviewed my app and I can test for the Firefighter/EMT position since I have previous experenice lol strange

MembersZone Subscriber

Whats the chances on the test they are going to give a specific general rule of conduct that we have to know the exact article number like 500.48. If thats the case im in trouble. But I guess everything is fair game. Anybody got those numbers down yet??

Forum Member

Default study guide. Video test.

Don't worry I am not really much competition so dont be afraid to let me know. MY highest score on a test so far was a 92 on any test. I am trying to test anywhere. I heard there was a study guide. Does anyone know which test or type of test they dminister. Is there a video simulation? How many do they take to the physical and how many go to the next interview, avg high scores. blah blah blah.

Forum Member

I applied but unfortunately won't be able to make the test. Good luck everyone!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashncole View Post
    Don't worry I am not really much competition so dont be afraid to let me know. MY highest score on a test so far was a 92 on any test. I am trying to test anywhere. I heard there was a study guide. Does anyone know which test or type of test they dminister. Is there a video simulation? How many do they take to the physical and how many go to the next interview, avg high scores. blah blah blah.
    Dude really? How about a little confidence, a 92 isn't even that bad for some tests. Yeah there is a study guide. Probably a good practice to start checking out the website for departments you are testing for, they'll have all the info you're looking for. Good luck and study hard cause you're already a little behind he game.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TakingMauiTest View Post
    I applied but unfortunately won't be able to make the test. Good luck everyone!
    Same here, I got my EMT final the next day. Good luck everyone and study hard!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruckOps84 View Post
    Dude really? How about a little confidence, a 92 isn't even that bad for some tests. Yeah there is a study guide. Probably a good practice to start checking out the website for departments you are testing for, they'll have all the info you're looking for. Good luck and study hard cause you're already a little behind he game.
    I found the study guide and I'm in the last week of my finals for paramedic so I'm trying to finish that up before I dive into the study guide. 92 wasn't bad for the city I was testing in but I'm hoping for a lot better assuming 92 won't even cut it close for 4500 testing. I'm hoping A new test, a little studying and a city that I qualify for vets points will give me a confidence boost itself. I really am looking forward to the experience and practice....a job would be cool!

Forum Member

I was on Portlands blog page and this was on there if you didn't see it then here it is.... it gives a pretty good idea about their process....

"One of the things that people need to know about the testing process with PF&R is that it takes time!

Our open enrollment ended July 1st with 3,500 candidates signing up for our August 1st exam. This year we have a written exam that is similar to what we used to call the “red book” test. We have a 137 page study guide that candidates were able to download beginning April 18, 2011. Although this study guide is going to be the bulk of the written exam, the rest of the exam will be general knowledge with no study guide provided. The three general knowledge components are math, reading comprehension, and mechanical aptitude.

Candidates with the highest written exam scores are eligible for the second phase of the exam, the Physical Agility Test (PAT). The PAT is often difficult for people who have never handled firefighting equipment so we have five weekends of practice sessions available for candidates that passed the written exam. These practice sessions are highly recommended. Candidates are reminded that the PAT is a minimum requirement and training is much more physically demanding. The PAT exam is scheduled for the second and third weekends of October. The number of candidates invited to the PAT can vary depending on test scores.

Candidates that pass the PAT are invited to the last phase of the hiring process, the Chief’s Selection Interview. These panel interviews are tentatively scheduled for November and December. This is where the final hiring decisions are made. I find that many candidates put so much time and effort preparing for the first two phases of the exam that they are unprepared for the third phase, the panel interview. Candidates are encouraged to practice interviewing skills and think about how their life experiences may relate to the job of a firefighter. Candidates are given the questions for ten minutes prior to their interview. This gives them an opportunity to brainstorm and think about the questions prior to meeting the panel. Interviews are generally scheduled for between 20 and 30 minutes and have between five and seven questions. Good luck to all and remember to prepare for not only the testing, but interviewing skills also."

Forum Member

Does anyone have an idea from previous tests what the math and mechanical aptitude sections might be like? Is it basic arithmetic and the standard levers/pulleys/tools or more in-depth? Thanks for any input.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RMRS View Post
    Does anyone have an idea from previous tests what the math and mechanical aptitude sections might be like? Is it basic arithmetic and the standard levers/pulleys/tools or more in-depth? Thanks for any input.
    It is a completly different test. The previous test was a video based test and the math/mech. is unique in its own right. the mech in the last test was a brick factory that you watched and answered questions based on what you would see. The math was basic adding and subtraction. Ie. you have 24 lengths of 50'hose how many feet do you have. With all of the questions on the previous test you had 10 seconds to answer the questions and you couldnt write anything down for the math. I have no clue on what the math may be i would study all the basics from a GED book they have all the basic math and a step by step process on how to do it with questions and answers..... Mechanical i would use a barrons fire test prep book because they have step by step details on all aspects of mechanical appitude..... if you have any questions PM me......Good luck.....

Back to beating the dead horse I continue to beat.

Make sure to be working out and staying in shape, so that when the PAT comes up you are ready. It will also make life easier if you are to get hired. Have seen to many recruits come in and be out of shape and they struggle. Our training is demanding and will take a toll even if you are in shape. So hit the workouts and the books hard.

Forum Member

Nozzleman,

I workout hard and often, including plenty of cardio, but I don't care for running long distances. Does the acadamy include many long runs?

No real long runs, the academy does a few runs of laps around the drill ground on occasion. Usually the workouts are around the tower and incorporate running towers. Burpee, pushups and some other types of exercises. If you workout hard and aften it will be no problem. Where people have trouble is they come in out of shape and expect to be able to work thier way in shape. Makes it very tough on them. Just best to come in in shape, will also make the PAT easier. Our PAT isn't dificult but can hang people up once in a while. If I remember correctly there is a video of it somewhere on the bureau website.

Forum Member

Right on, thanks Nozzleman. That's what I wanted to hear.

Forum Member

I applied and was going to fly out for the test but then I looked at airfare and it was going to cost me about $600 bucks. Good luck to all who are going.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzleman25 View Post
    No real long runs, the academy does a few runs of laps around the drill ground on occasion. Usually the workouts are around the tower and incorporate running towers. Burpee, pushups and some other types of exercises. If you workout hard and aften it will be no problem. Where people have trouble is they come in out of shape and expect to be able to work thier way in shape. Makes it very tough on them. Just best to come in in shape, will also make the PAT easier. Our PAT isn't dificult but can hang people up once in a while. If I remember correctly there is a video of it somewhere on the bureau website.
    Here is the link to the PAT video posted by Portland Fire on youtube. There are also some other good video posted by Portland Fire on there as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siefv0_QgHw

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by ciandebaldo; 08-17-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Forum Member

Any advice on which station to check out to get a feel for Portland fire?

Thread Information