Forum Member

Default Portland Fire & Rescue (Oregon) recruiting 2011

As promised, here's the current info on the next round of recruiting for Portland Fire & Rescue:

- Downloadable study material will be available beginning April 18, 2011.
    - Open enrollment begins June 20, 2011 (When 4,500 applications have been submitted, enrollment will close and no further applications will be accepted.)
    - Multiple-choice test will be August 1, 2011.

For more information: http://tinyurl.com/4gwqy72, updates will also be at http://www.portlandonline.com/fire/jobs

We strongly encourage you to sign up for email notices about recruiting information at http://www.portlandonline.com/fire/index.cfm?c=37525

Good luck, all!

MembersZone Subscriber

Now that their not using the fireteam test. What test company did they decide to go with? From reading the info from their website, it states that their will ONLY be a study guide for the first component of the written exam, which consist of a total of four components. Just curious to know. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    Now that their not using the fireteam test. What test company did they decide to go with? From reading the info from their website, it states that their will ONLY be a study guide for the first component of the written exam, which consist of a total of four components. Just curious to know. Thanks
    We're not using a commercial testing company. We're going back to what we've done successfully in the past: generating questions from material that PF&R thinks is important.

You're correct: study material will be provided for the PF&R-specific questions. The other three components of the multiple-choice test include a mechanical aptitude test, math test, and reading ability test. These three components are general knowledge, and no study material is provided.

Forum Member

With regard to the mechanical, math and reading, will these questions be similiar to Fireteam test or something different?

MembersZone Subscriber

Different.
    That is why they are not using fireteam anymore.

With this swing back to what they feel is important, you should pick up a Firefighter Exam prep book at B&N or Borders. Barron's and Arco are good to start with.

Forum Member

Barrons and Arco? Is that the Author or title? Sorry not familiar with the exam prep books. Apart from the material that Portland Fire will provide, any other reading material you would recommend?

Forum Member

This will be my first time applying to test with PF&R, and I was somewhat confused on the application process. The website says the applications will be available on June 20th, so does that mean I need to download it on the 20th, and fill it out and return it as quickly as possible? Or is the application already available somewhere I do not know of and it can start being turned in on the 20th?
    Sorry if it sounds like I'm kind of confused, it's the end of the semester and my brain is a bit fried.
    Thanks,
    Aidan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by aidaninreno View Post
    This will be my first time applying to test with PF&R, and I was somewhat confused on the application process. The website says the applications will be available on June 20th, so does that mean I need to download it on the 20th, and fill it out and return it as quickly as possible? Or is the application already available somewhere I do not know of and it can start being turned in on the 20th?
    Sorry if it sounds like I'm kind of confused, it's the end of the semester and my brain is a bit fried.
    Thanks,
    Aidan
    Yes.
    Directions there are pretty straightforward. If you are too fried sitting at a computer reading basic instructions not under any duress, how will you be when something is physically or mentally demanded of you at a fire?

Apparently a study guide will be available to download 4/18 there.

Forum Member

No, I'm quite fried because I've been working my balls off to finish my senior year at UNR after 3 years gone from college. But I understand and can appreciate the point you are making, and why you would make it.
    And thank you for the confirmation on how the process works.

Forum Member

I got my email today. Can't wait until August!

Forum Member

Study material is available on the website. Good Luck!

http://www.portlandonline.com/fire/TPM2011Fire.pdf

Forum Member

Downloaded the study guide today and printed out all 143 pages. Anyone in the Portland area interested in forming a study group?

MembersZone Subscriber

I printed all 143 pages out today. Good thing I work nights. That will be good reading material for the next couple months

Forum Member

Remember guys, almost every sentence in that TPM is a potential test question. Back in the day when I took it, the people that did well made their own questions to study off of on 3"x 5" cards.

I looked at it online and much of the material is the same, very Portland specific. Love those funny old cartoon drawings too. Good luck and study hard.

Forum Member

having just gone through last years process, the academy and now at station 2, take this material very seriously!...pfr loves verbatim and grocery lists. this is the same material you will see later, albeit a very small fraction of what you will get at the academy and later down the line...and its been mentioned here before...get in shape!!!

Forum Member

Is anyone else having trouble downloading the study guide? I've tried multiple times and it keeps saying the file is corrupt....tried from three different computers!!!

Forum Member

If you are having trouble downloading it go to this link and there is an email address right under the study info link to contact if you are having trouble. Good luck.
    http://www.portlandonline.com/fire/index.cfm?c=54157

Forum Member

I don't want to apply anymore after seeing what kind of helmets they wear!

I'm playing, I'm just not used to seeing that style where I'm from.

Forum Member

Thanks Nozzleman25, got it all worked out!

Forum Member

Your welcome and good luck.

For everyone testing I have said it many times on here and I will continue to beat that dead horse. GET YOURSELVES IN SHAPE. Our PAT isn't difficult if your in shape, if your not different story. Our academy is very physical and if you come in out of shape you will struggle that is a guarantee. Once training starts it is difficult to be able to work your way into shape. Give yourself every advantage you can to succeed, you don't want to be on the radar because you are struggling physically. Good luck everyone, Portland is an excellent department and well worth the effort.

Now get to studying!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzleman25 View Post
    Your welcome and good luck.

For everyone testing I have said it many times on here and I will continue to beat that dead horse. GET YOURSELVES IN SHAPE. Our PAT isn't difficult if your in shape, if your not different story. Our academy is very physical and if you come in out of shape you will struggle that is a guarantee. Once training starts it is difficult to be able to work your way into shape. Give yourself every advantage you can to succeed, you don't want to be on the radar because you are struggling physically. Good luck everyone, Portland is an excellent department and well worth the effort.

Now get to studying!
    I can second that the physical is tough. I'm in fairly decent shape and workout 3-4 days a week and i was sucking wind at the end. I was wondering if anybody knows if Portland will be taking people from the current list to the August acadmey or will they pull from the new list? Im on the current list and a buddy of mine that was in the same interview group just got a job offer and starts acadmey in May.

Forum Member

If there is an August academy it is probably off the current list since the new test isn't till August and it takes time for the process to get done. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone happen to know when the first academy is expected to start from this new test in August?

Forum Member

My guess would be late in the year if not early in 2012, Don't know for sure but it takes time to get through the process. Haven't looked at everything but I am assuming that with going back to the written type test we used to give that they will also go back to interviews, those take time and then you have to get people through the PAT. So the process takes a few months. Good Luck.

Thread Information