Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default turn out gear help

We are in the process of getting new turn out gear, and there is some debate in how the closure should be on the coats. Some want Velcro then the d-rings. Others want the zipper then the Velcro. I want to know the pros and cons of each closure. I donít want to who has what, I just want the pros and cons of each.

They're all good. I liked the zipper and velcro deal.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Depends on what you are looking for. Speed, ease, and convenience will be found with the zip/velcro type. To be honest I don't know why they ever decided to drag the process out with buttoning, velcroing, and then hooking. Maybe some one more experienced will be able to enlighten me on this.

I can only tell you I have used both, and much prefer the zip and velcro.

Call me crazy but I only like the Hook and D. Its traditional and luckily, my department agrees. Guess I like it for the same reason I like my leather. Just my two cents, you didnt say that I had to make sense
    "It's a living thing brian..."

Get samples of each, if the vendor wants to sell you gear, they should be able to provide you with test/demo gear. Remember the vendor works for and with you or they work somewhere else.

Forum Member

I like the D ring and clips. Takes abuse much better and easier to replace. I don't see them as being any slower than a zipper either.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I like the D ring and clips. Takes abuse much better and easier to replace. I don't see them as being any slower than a zipper either.
    Really? They take abuse better? I have not had a turnout coat in over 20 years that hasn't had a zipper and I have only had one that had to be replaced because the coat tore at the end of the zipper.

My experience with hooks and D's was they hung up on everything and were a complete pain in the ***. I know some guys seem to like them but for me give me the zipper.

The reason why hooks and D's are slower than zippers is that they almost always have snaps that must be fastened in conjunction with the hooks and D's, well if you are doing it right anyways.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    The reason why hooks and D's are slower than zippers is that they almost always have snaps that must be fastened in conjunction with the hooks and D's, well if you are doing it right anyways.
    Are you talking about the little buttons infused into the velcro? I must not be doing it right. I have NEVER snapped those. Not once. Not even for inspections. Our hook and D's overlap to the left side of my chest too, so its not like im losing protection by not snapping them. Shoot, I bet it does take longer if you're snapping those.
    "It's a living thing brian..."

Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    Are you talking about the little buttons infused into the velcro? I must not be doing it right. I have NEVER snapped those. Not once. Not even for inspections. Our hook and D's overlap to the left side of my chest too, so its not like im losing protection by not snapping them. Shoot, I bet it does take longer if you're snapping those.

Dude roll your eyes all you want. I couldn't care less. But if you are putting the gear on as the manufacturer designed the snaps are supposed to be fastened.

The snaps are located on the inner flap, the same flap the hooks and D's are on. You are supposed to fasten the snaps, then the hooks and D's, then close the outer flap with the velcro.
    Maybe it's not too late

Our current turn-outs have zippers. Before I received mine I was dead-set against the zippers, the hook and D system had always worked and I never found it lacking. Now, after a year or so of the zipper. I find my new turnouts quicker and easier close and there have been no durability issues.
    "The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
    "Speed is not a good alternative to lack of knowledge." -armymedic571

Not really worth arguing over... some like blondes, some like brunettes.

Bull likes redheads.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

I have problems with the zipper sometimes simply because I learned on the hooks. Not enough to complain or slow me down, it just feels like it takes me forever to get it started.

An advantage to the zipper is the quick release. Most modern zippers will open very quickly if you pull them up. Simply pull the zipper up, pull the coat apart and the zipper opens along with the Velcro.

It makes removing the coat in an emergency much easier.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Much prefer the zippers to the snaps/hooks. Been wearing a zipper for 15+ years without the first issue in any of my departments.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Why not let the guys get what they want? We've done that before.

We, as a department, have had issues with zippers in the past. We've gone away from them. I can replace a clasp or d-ring much easier than a zipper.

Last time I checked, the zipper is actually less money up front through our supplier, but not by much.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Maintenance on the zipper is easy. Clean them on occasion and apply either some wax to it or rub a bar of soap on it for lubrication.
    Maybe it's not too late

I've been in zipper & velcro for about 7 years now, and I far prefer it to hook & D's because I don't have those pesky metal closures getting cinched up against me when I pack up or getting snagged in tight spots.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Really? They take abuse better? I have not had a turnout coat in over 20 years that hasn't had a zipper and I have only had one that had to be replaced because the coat tore at the end of the zipper.

My experience with hooks and D's was they hung up on everything and were a complete pain in the ***. I know some guys seem to like them but for me give me the zipper.

Maybe your goods spends more time on the rack than ours, We've had a number of zippers break and you have to replace the whole zipper vs. just a clip. Clips getting hung up sounds like poor coat design, our outside flap completely covers the clips and D rings so there is nothing to snag.

MembersZone Subscriber

just my two sense.... i prefer the chicago closure snaps and hooks/d's then a velcro flap covering that. i just recently purchased a new set of gear that has the zipper and it has seemed to slow me down a bit as far as getting my gear on at first but both have their advantages. the zipper being that it completly closes the coat unlike the hook/d that still leaves gaps under the velcro. but in all reality its about the same either way
    We walk where the devil dances... FIR NA TINE

Forum Member

If you have problems with zippers you need to buy a better brand of gear. Not by price or brandname to keep up with the Jones.

You have hook and dee on your Levis or winter coat?

Forum Member

When the dealer came out, he had both styles. One was just velcro on the inside and then the hook and D on the outside. The other was a zipper on the inside then velcro on the outside. Again I am really looking for the pros and cons of each.

Thread Information