Forum Member

We're a small career department that due to the loss of our Steel Industry a couple decades ago, went from 4 stations and 100+ total strength to 2 stations and less than 20 total strength and only 2 Engines on-duty.

Over that last decade we've slowly reversed some of the lost staffing and the City is small enough that working from 2 stations really isn't a burden. We replaced one of the front-line engines with a Quint (75' stick) nine years ago. At the time, our only aerial was a 30 year old Aerialscope Tower and only responded to working fires when off-duty personnel were called in. As such, it's usage was not very efficient or effective since it was arriving well after the 2 engines were on scene and a supply line was in operation and usually limiting access to the scene.

So, when the decision came to acquire a new aerial, a Quint was purchased in order to add aerial capabilities to the on-duty response while maintaining the needed engine capabilities since staffing levels precluded the deployment of 2 engines and a truck, on-duty wise. So far, it has worked out very well for us.

Hopefully, the next one will be even better for us. Even though it's been great (bought as a Demo model), there's definitely some things that could be improved upon.

Forum Member

I thought I'd just read somewhere that the actual Telesquirt has a 500# tip load. I was reading up on KME's Firestix a while back, and while I don't remember the exact figure off the top of my head, I THINK it is right around there, too.

I always thought the issue with these types of aerial was that the ladder being atop the boom made it more difficult to use for roof access, and the non pinnable waterway gets in the way. Not that they were "weaker" than a ladder. Also, like the aerialscope, there's no turntable or platform to exit the bottom of the ladder onto. Just a couple small steps built into the pedestal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
    I thought I'd just read somewhere that the actual Telesquirt has a 500# tip load. I was reading up on KME's Firestix a while back, and while I don't remember the exact figure off the top of my head, I THINK it is right around there, too.

I always thought the issue with these types of aerial was that the ladder being atop the boom made it more difficult to use for roof access, and the non pinnable waterway gets in the way. Not that they were "weaker" than a ladder. Also, like the aerialscope, there's no turntable or platform to exit the bottom of the ladder onto. Just a couple small steps built into the pedestal.
    We went with a mid-mount ladder to avoid those small steps at the bottom. The tip load is plenty for a short single ladder. You aren't putting a lot of people on the tip at one point so you don't need a huge tip load. 300 was the tip load, with water flowing. The ladder itself had adequate rating for 3 guys climbing it as long as they were not up each others butt. We had it for 20 years and the tip load was never an issue. Accessed many roofs from it and also used it as an elevated nozzle. Ya, the boom under the ladder left the ladder rungs about 2 feet from the roof surface.

Was much better/sturdier to work on than the 75' ALF ladder I worked off of before that.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh yes the tip load it 400 with water and 750 with out. The nozzle retracted and folds up underneath. No it's not a ladder but since were so small a fire department it's the only one we could afford. A fire department in the next county sold it to us for only $6,000, with a $8,000 per year budget thats all we could afford. So a real full ladder will never be a option for us. Plus we proabbly only use it as a true ladder maybe once or twice a year and the master water way most of the time. It's not perfect but for us and our needs it gives us the most options in one unit.

MembersZone Subscriber

A 65' squirt with water flowing is 250 pounds, 500 without water and 1000 supported.

Forum Member

My immediate previous volunteer department uses a quint as a truck.

Primary reason the quint was bought was so that it could pump it's own master stream. This allowed us to go from 3 to 2 engines at Central Station as we no longer needed to commit a supply pumper when the tower ran mutual aid.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    A 65' squirt with water flowing is 250 pounds, 500 without water and 1000 supported.
    Cool, thanks! I looked up the Fire stix on KME's site after posting. The tip load on that is 500# too.

I know they rate it because it has a climbing ladder on it, but why would you want to climb one in watertower mode? Isn't that the point of having the electric controlled monitor??

For the other brother, I hear ya- we went through a succession of older ladders before we could afford to buy a new and modern one. The pre-NFPA ones were rather scary in unsupported mode... The tip bounced and swayed
    all over the place, and the outriggers seemed way too small for the job! We use ours for REACH far more than for height, so light duty ladders aren't a good idea. 250# is very easy to reach with a fully geared and equipped firefighter! Add a rescuee- esp another firefighter, and you are well into overload... Now toss into the mix 20+ yrs of wear and tear, old tired hydraulics, and inadequate stabilizers. Yep, a telesquirt looks better and better!

Forum Member

Nozzlenut - there have been times when having a set of eyes on the top worked better than standing on the pedistal. Not all the time by any means but I have seen the times.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Nozzlenut - there have been times when having a set of eyes on the top worked better than standing on the pedistal. Not all the time by any means but I have seen the times.
    Yeah, I can see that being an issue occasionally. Now that we've gotten the firefighter off the tip of the watertower, (most of the time) we need an AFFORDABLE way to get eyes up there w/o needlessly endangering someone. Tethered and RC remotes are a good start. Now we need a camera or TIC! ( it would probably be considered bad form to dynamite the neighbor's building or that 200 yr old tree that's blocking our line of sight...)

Forum Member

The way technology is going, In a couple of years there will proably be an app for your phone------ kinda like a real time goggle earth.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    The way technology is going, In a couple of years there will proably be an app for your phone------ kinda like a real time goggle earth.
    Or, perhaps a fully automated system, tied to a TIC, and other nifty gadgets, that directs the elevated stream onto the hottest heat source. It could have an ember suppression mode, an exposure protection mode, ect too. Think of it- no more blasting streams at blank walls cuz you can't see the window opening for all the smoke, No more missing the fire building entirely, no more missing the most at risk exposure for the one that LOOKS like it needs a squirt, etc...

For an extra $50 grand you could add: Initiate the probie mode; and victory! mode ( douses the IC with ice cold water). Also, if you sign a hold harmless/ liability waiver, We'll add the "GO AWAY" mode, which uses hydraulic power to disperse angry, hostile crowds, annoyingly persistant reporters, and clueless news choppers. Works great for those ****y property owners who were too cheap to protect their property and are now taking it out on you!

Forum Member

we have a Quint since 1978 but it didnt get used properly until the mid'90's. It runs second out on all fires, it was replaced recently by 1995 model. We are POC/Volly, a few of the reasons we kept a Quint was to as noted before, it can supply itself, another reason is that when one of our engines go down for maintence we still have a pumping apparatus, and some times we just got that damn many fires !!!!!! check it out @ www.rossfordfire.com
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    we have a Quint since 1978 but it didnt get used properly until the mid'90's. It runs second out on all fires, it was replaced recently by 1995 model.
    As a second unit out, is it used as another attack unit, ladder, or both.

Not knowing your coverage, I would have guessed that it would be a first out for ladder/truck work. Do you have MA with a ladder to make your quint second due???

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    As a second unit out, is it used as another attack unit, ladder, or both.

Not knowing your coverage, I would have guessed that it would be a first out for ladder/truck work. Do you have MA with a ladder to make your quint second due???

FM1
    it is used as a ladder ..........first..........only time it is used a pumping appratus is to supply itself or if there are no more engines left to respond to an incident.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information