Hampton, Virginia Fire and Rescue
Job Title: Firefighter Recruit
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 02/28/11 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Salary: $36,500.00 - $41,975.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent
Location: Fire and Rescue, Hampton, Virginia
Print Job Information | Apply
Function Benefits Supplemental Questions
Combats, controls, and extinguishes fires; rescues persons and salvages property in emergency situations; maintains equipment, fire station buildings, and grounds; performs fire prevention activities; drives or assists ambulance drivers to transport sick, injured, or convalescent persons.
Examples of Duties:
• Responds to fire alarms and other emergency calls. Under supervision, lays out and connects hoses, and directs streams of water or chemicals onto fires. Positions, raises, and climbs ladders to gain access to upper levels of buildings or to rescue individuals from burning structures. Carries out firefighting activities using tools and methods in a prescribed manner; creates openings in buildings for ventilation or entrance using axes and crowbars and other appropriate tools. Salvages and preserves property to minimize fire loss; protect property from water and smoke by use of waterproof salvage covers, smoke ejectors, and deodorants. Performs emergency life-saving activities; administers medical aid. Performs clean-up activities after fire suppression.
• Drives or accompanies and assists ambulance driver to transport sick, injured, or convalescent persons. Places patient on stretcher and loads stretcher into ambulance. Takes sick or injured persons to hospital or convalescents to destination using proper knowledge and skill in driving. Changes soiled linen on stretcher. Sanitizes and decontaminates ambulance and equipment. Administers medical aid as needed, such as bandaging, splinting, administering oxygen, performs cardio-pulmonary resuscitation. When assigned, performs advanced life support and emergency medical services in the capacity of a trainee under the general guidance of a medic firefighter.
• Performs assigned duties in maintaining apparatus, quarters, buildings, equipment, and grounds. Sweeps and mops station house floors; cleans and clears driveway; polices grounds and trims grass. Inspects all fire apparatus daily; checks crankcase oil level; observes coolant level in radiator, checks batteries and all warning signals; inspects tires, and cleans body of trucks. Checks two-way communications equipment. Inspects all related fire tools and equipment daily. Cleans and paints equipment as necessary.
• Participates in drills, demonstrations, and courses in hydraulics, pump operation and maintenance, and firefighting techniques. Inspects buildings for fire hazards and compliance with fire prevention ordinances.
• Drives fire apparatus to the scene of emergencies. Makes adjustments to equipment as the situation demands at a moments notice. Maintains proper operation of fire apparatus at all times. Informs fire communications dispatcher of status of emergency situations via radio.
• When assigned, may perform the following: vehicle maintenance and station maintenance; maintains supplies, conducts inventories; prepares a variety of reports; performs a variety of training functions under the direction of a senior officer; and performs a variety of safety functions, such as conducting safety inspections and tests, preparing safety materials and statistical reports and completion of accident reports.
• Performs other related duties as required
Graduation from high school or successful completion of the GED; must be at least eighteen (18) years of age; graduation from the Tidewater Regional Fire Academy or a Virginia state certified EMT Intermediate or Paramedic preferred.
Must meet the required medical standards provided by the city by a licensed physician; successful completion of the division's physical abilities test; successful completion of the required Fire & Rescue application process; must pass a background investigation and a polygraph examination; must agree to conditions of employment as specified by the Fire & Rescue Division must successfully complete Emergency Vehicle Operator's course and Pump Operator course; must possess no physical defects which would render the incumbent unfit to perform all the duties of a firefighter/emergency medical technician.
Ability to be courteous yet firm with the public; ability to communicate effectively and coherently over radios and other types of communication equipment; ability to prepare written documents and reports such as special reports, accident or investigation reports, etc.; ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions; ability to operate equipment and machines such as fire and emergency response equipment and two-way communication equipment; ability to use personal computers for job specific applications; ability to communicate general information regarding laws, ordinances, and regulations to the public; ability to communicate effectively with others by giving information and directions; ability to interact positively with members of the community and maintain harmonious working relationships with diverse groups; good skills of observation and memory.
Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued by the State of Virginia and must have a satisfactory driver's record based on the city of Hampton's criteria.
Duties may be performed on various shifts to include 8-hour shifts; 40 hours per workweek and/or 8,12,16 or 24 hour shifts; average 52 hours per workweek. Receives formal performance evaluations at required intervals. Requires working under hazardous conditions. May be rotated to firefighter positions throughout all bureaus in the Fire & Rescue Division.
Incumbent must successfully complete all required training programs in the Recruit Academy. Incumbent will be required to work in small confined areas; to work in areas of extreme danger, to include heights; and to deal with extreme stress. Incumbent will be administratively upgraded to the position of Firefighter upon successful completion of the Tidewater Regional Fire Academy and certification as an EMT-B.
This position is non-exempt.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Thread: Hampton, virginia fire & rescue
02-16-2011, 12:47 PM #1
Hampton, virginia fire & rescueStay Safe and Well Out There....
Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers
02-16-2011, 02:46 PM #2
The applicant assembly is a new one for me... guess that's to weed a lot of people out! And a 90-120 day hiring period is fairly fast!!
09-14-2011, 10:49 PM #3
- Join Date
- May 2011
Anyone familiar with this process want to give me a PM?
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily ReportReplies: 0Last Post: 02-17-2006, 10:55 PM
By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily ReportReplies: 0Last Post: 06-06-2005, 01:38 PM
By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily ReportReplies: 0Last Post: 01-29-2005, 08:55 AM
By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily ReportReplies: 0Last Post: 12-02-2003, 10:43 PM
By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily ReportReplies: 0Last Post: 11-16-2003, 07:35 PM