Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Need help with TIC

We got our new MSA 5200HD today and yes ok we were playing with it to learn about it. Some of us were outside tonight and we noticed that when you aim at the gound of course it read the temp. It also does some neat things when you aim in at a cloud in the night sky. It seems to read the temp of the cloud. The air temp. was about 65 tonight but the cloud temps were in the lower 40's. Now if I aimed the TIC are the clear night sky we got temps in the -negatives usually about -16 to -44. Also if we aimed the beam right at the moon it read temps of some where about 140 to 160 degrees. No yes i know it's not actually temping the moon lol. I just thought it was really unusual and fun to see how it read the differant temps in the sky. I just would have assume it would read the air temp and that the temp would be about the same everywhere in the sky I aimed it.
    Anyone ever do this and have simalar results???

Spend the time on actually training with the camera instead of "playing" with it reading temps of the night sky.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

DO you not ever have a little fun!!! We had been training for 2 hours before we noticed the difference in the night sky temps.

We got our new MSA 5200HD today and yes ok we were playing with it to learn about it.
    I'm betting the Gonzo was basing his response on your statement above. If you had started with "after 2 hours of training, we tried some other things with the new MSA" you probably would have gotten a different response.

I'd suggest, and you may have done this in your training, looking through the camera at different surfaces and compare what it sees to what is going on. Try windows, glass doors, metal walls/partitions, water. You may be surprised what on how the TIC "reacts".
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh yes we learned alot about glass and metal surfaces and the false reading they can give. We also used the oven to have the TIC switch to high temp mode to show the difference. We still have alot more training to do.

Me being me,I could care less about the temp of a cloud. Relative temps of LP tanks,light ballasts,interior room temps are things that would interest me. Comparisons of normal room temps and burn room temps would be of interest. Not all our TI's have temp,we have IR guns for that. Check and double check,but temps of irrelevant things like clouds is NOT something I would waste any time on. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I'm betting the Gonzo was basing his response on your statement above. If you had started with "after 2 hours of training, we tried some other things with the new MSA" you probably would have gotten a different response.

I'd suggest, and you may have done this in your training, looking through the camera at different surfaces and compare what it sees to what is going on. Try windows, glass doors, metal walls/partitions, water. You may be surprised what on how the TIC "reacts".
    I hope you bet a lot of $$$$.. because you are correct!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.............

I guess perception is everything. Almost. I'm not going to knock looking at Clouds because there is something to be learned everywhere. One thing that I found some years back was the Training value of using a Deer for a stand-in for a victim in an "off road" Search. The Factory Manual never covers everything........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

When our guys got their TIC's, some decided to check brake/wheel temps. When they saw 600 degree's, I got phone calls.

The TIC's to a degree will record "light" temps, or feed back from a light source. More than likely, that is what is showing the strange temp readings in the sky.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Woods yes we were learning how the TIC would work for wildland search and rescue. We certainly learn a lot especially how it reacts to differant times of the day and night.

Was in driver doorway of truck today changing battery in the TIC. Turned it on to make sure battery fully charged and saw my body showing in the passenger side window. Weird to see yourself when you know you are behind the camera.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah I noticed the same thing when I pointed the TIC and the back of the pumper which is diamond plate. I saw my self. Thats something were going to have to practice more learning that there can be false images when pointing the TIC at metal or glass.

Could a TIC be used in a water rescue or recovery? You would think where there is a warmer temp ( A Human Body) Sticking up out of the water or just under the surface that it would in fact show up in conditions that would not nomally allow you to see such a thing. Just have always wondered that
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Quote Originally Posted by IronValor View Post
    Could a TIC be used in a water rescue or recovery? You would think where there is a warmer temp ( A Human Body) Sticking up out of the water or just under the surface that it would in fact show up in conditions that would not nomally allow you to see such a thing. Just have always wondered that
    TICs won't "see" through water.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information