Thread: Noob

Forum Member

Thumbs up Noob

So I got a job with USFS this season and im trying to get a grasp on what to expect (first year) . Im wondering what ill need to bring with me when i got out to my station. I talked to a couple guys out there (northern cali) and they said they will supply me with PPE but ill need to buy some boots. he sugested nicks or whites. Any other sugestions?
    Also he said bring 2 weeks worth of food incase we get busy early this season. What should i be packing with me? Sleeping bag? Housing is provided
    also anything elese that comes to your mind will help.

I know ill be on an engine with about 4 other people. What should i be expecting?

thanks for the input and thanks for everyone helping me out this season with useful information while applying.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    So I got a job with USFS this season and im trying to get a grasp on what to expect (first year) . Im wondering what ill need to bring with me when i got out to my station. I talked to a couple guys out there (northern cali) and they said they will supply me with PPE but ill need to buy some boots. he sugested nicks or whites. Any other sugestions?
    Also he said bring 2 weeks worth of food incase we get busy early this season. What should i be packing with me? Sleeping bag? Housing is provided
    also anything elese that comes to your mind will help.

I know ill be on an engine with about 4 other people. What should i be expecting?

thanks for the input and thanks for everyone helping me out this season with useful information while applying.
    Congrats!

I don't have much else to add other than Georgia Boots makes a good wildland boot as well.. Pack extra socks and moleskin until you break your boots in.

-Damien

Forum Member

Buy your boots NOW and get them broken in before you start work. Also start getting ready for the pack test.

How far from civilization is the station? If it's a good location, there will be no cell service, and possibly no phone at all (maybe a satellite phone that works when it wants to?

Are you prepared to be without a few amenities you are accustomed to having? Have a few ideas for after-hours entertainment.

Good luck, and out of curiosity, what Forest/RD?
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice,
    I just ordered my boots. Had to because im a girl so my feet are smaller :/
    How do you suggest i break them in? By wearing them 24/7?

Yeah my captain said no cell phone service out there at all. But they do have wireless internet. He also told me to bring my fishing pole which i already planned on but it was a relief hearing it form him haha.

I believe he said the closest city with a store is 40 miles away.
    ill be stationed in northern california out by Alturas.

Forum Member

Ahh, you are going to the one of the few parts of CA worth anything. I may be a bit biased from having spent time in that area.

I've heard many ways to break in boots... one I hear alot is to fill them with water till they are soaked, then drain water and wear them around until they dry. I myself liberally grease my boots and then just wear them. Nothing breaks them in like 14 days of 16 hour shifts, most of being walking. Since you'll be on an engine, several days of mop up with lots of water will get them broken in also.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

Default 1st season

Wow your about to get to work. I'd suggest the greasing and wearing of boots too. Water makes them shrink and get brittle.
    Yes they will give you your PPE but not your undergarments. SOCKS!!! are key. I prefer merino wool with at least 75% or more merino. They are comfy, albeit warm sometimes, and unabrasive on your feet. Also they wick away the moisture from your skin and dry fast. Also enough undies for a two week stint. Again I prefer merino wool but they can be a little spendy. most crews have a minimum required and recommended list of things for your line gear (web gear) and red bag (assignment needs). Pack what you NEED in you red bag to supply necessary clothing and personal toiletries for a 14 day dispatch. Also ask what to carry for initial attack. If you are on an engine chances are you will be very close to it and can easily access your stuff. Much different from helitack or initial attack hand crews who often sling in or pack the minimum necessary for a couple nights stay. Your boss and or coworkers will give you the best advice for the environments and fire/fuel types you will be working in most. Congrats and good luck.

Forum Member

Default Welcome

Welcome to modoc county, it sounds like you'll be at crowder flat station or buck creek station. Bring lots of socks t shirts and under garments. You will be away from the engine sometimes while fighting fire they have a lot of walk-in fires. Bring sleeping bag or blankets for your bed. Make sure you have plenty of food at the station you may not be able to get into town as often as you would like and you are out in middle of egypt.

My suggestion would be to have at least 14 days worth of socks and undergarments just for your red bag and 7 days worth for everyday use.

Bring fishing pole the fishing is great in that area

Forum Member

Talking

Thanks everyone for the great advice! Ive been looking forward to this job for along time and I couldn't have gotten it without all the input ive gotten from all you firehouse guys. Anymore advice that anyone has to put out here would be great.

Thread Information