MembersZone Subscriber

Default Turnout Gear Prices

I am looking for new turnout gear for our vol. dept. I found pretty good prices on Lion but was wondering about Globe. We have a dealer but you have to call to get a price. Anybody prices the G extreme lately? I will call when I have time just trying to get an idea.

Forum Member

First off you need to know what materials you would like to try/buy. don't compare just PRICE,you need to compare EQUAL materials. The Suit we currently spec IS Globe and it runs around $1600 a set. But a MP in Pbi will have a diffeent price than a G Xteme in millenia,for example. Next are the accessories,light tabs, harness tabs or integrated,radip pocket,Etc. We had Globe for YEARS,we have good service life and product support is First rate. Others have similar results with MP. Look,Compare and decide. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 02-18-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Forum Member

Buying turnout gear is a lot like buying a car.

There are options, color choices and choice of "upholstery"...

Keep in mind that you can get the "KIA Rio" of gear at a low price or opt for the best in materials and options and pay a "Bugatti Veyron" price.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

We just got new G-Xtreme delivered and it came in around $1900 a set I believe... $2200 with an integrated harness (I could be wrong but those prices are close)

We have Advance outershell, dont remember the thermal barrier, dragonhide cuffs and knees (knees also have the silzone foam which is THE BOMB!), the hanging name panel and a few other add ons.

Wore it all night on a fire a few days ago and the stuff is great! Felt like I was wearing sweatpants and the coat was awesome too. Much easier to move in than my now backup set which is 5 year old Janesville. I would definitely reccommend the Globe. I know of quite a few departments that run alot of fire and their gear has held up really well for them.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

1. Figure out what details you want - pockets, hooks, snaps, lettering, trim etc. Get it out of the way now so it won't bog you down later. All this is piddly in cost to add to gear - $10, $20, $30 each. You're spending over $1200 per set so if you thinks it matters (likely really doesn't much) make the list with a sketch. Then set it aside.

2. Do some basic research on materials, thermal liner, moisture barrier. A internet retailer with wide choice of options is a start point. You'll overpay if you buy thru them.

3. Invite in a salesman you trust with a local fire equipment distributor. If you don't have a salesman you trust you need to change distributor and stop buying for the same old twit. Have him explain material choices to you, performance/price, feel fabric samples. Let him explain his house brand gear and why it's great. How it's SEWN, about the mfg, about his company. Who is using it, recent and long term.

4. Put together a gear spec that ONLY has generic items that matter. This is material shell/TL/MB with the performance you want/can afford and add the details you listed in step #1. If they are too big to be bothered with your "custom" stuff, and get it done in a timely manner forget about them. Add option upgrade in Shell, TL, MB.

Leave out all the "Heatchannel", "Semper", "Axtion", etc. Unless you're trying to direct you business to only ONE mfg (pay to much). All are 95% marketing BS of no real relence. For every mfg yapping about how they cut/sew their ____ using lots of little piece of material to improve shape/flexibility/comfort/etc you'll find a mfg sweeping and reusing up the little pieces of material off the cutting room floor. Every seam is one that more to tear out. Lots of stitches in a small piece of material is bad.

Original question. Janesville is lower middle in everything. Globe and Morning Pride are overpriced marketing driven (based on given material choices and performance for the $). You see lots of advertising for both yapping about all the ______. Who do you thinks pay for this BS?

Then buy your guys leather boots. The extra $80-100 will mean way more to them than going from Advance to PBI. The performance improvement may give you bragging rights in spending $2000/set and perhaps allow an open casket funeral but really no realworld benefit to the FF.

Forum Member

If you really want G-Extreme you will pay top dollar for it.

When we performed our latest testing we left the decision up to the individual turnout gear manufacturers as to what "design" of gear (same materials) they would submit as long as it met our very basic specs. We told them that ergonomics and performance were key, but if a set of gear came in second (but still respectable) in our wear testing ranking and the price was significantly less we would have a hard time going with the more expensive set. Globe realizing that the G-Extreme would very possibly be more expensive than the other manufacturers' submissions rolled the dice and submitted the G-Excel design. They knew it would be competitive in both price and ergonomics. The top three performers were Globe G-Excel 1, Morning Pride 2, and Lion V-Force 3. All three were within $25.00 a set of each other.

We went with the G-Excel.

I understand that the G-Extreme is probably around $200.00 more a set than the G-Excel. Try them both on and see if the extra cash is worth it. I know that $200.00 extra a set would have made us think long and hard about going with our second ranking gear.

Another angle to work is Cairns gear. It is made by and is virtually identical to Globe. The Reaxtion is comparable to G-Extreme and the RSX is comparable to G-Excel and might cost a few less $$$.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    1. Figure out what details you want - pockets, hooks, snaps, lettering, trim etc. Get it out of the way now so it won't bog you down later. All this is piddly in cost to add to gear - $10, $20, $30 each. You're spending over $1200 per set so if you thinks it matters (likely really doesn't much) make the list with a sketch. Then set it aside.

2. Do some basic research on materials, thermal liner, moisture barrier. A internet retailer with wide choice of options is a start point. You'll overpay if you buy thru them.

3. Invite in a salesman you trust with a local fire equipment distributor. If you don't have a salesman you trust you need to change distributor and stop buying for the same old twit. Have him explain material choices to you, performance/price, feel fabric samples. Let him explain his house brand gear and why it's great. How it's SEWN, about the mfg, about his company. Who is using it, recent and long term.

4. Put together a gear spec that ONLY has generic items that matter. This is material shell/TL/MB with the performance you want/can afford and add the details you listed in step #1. If they are too big to be bothered with your "custom" stuff, and get it done in a timely manner forget about them. Add option upgrade in Shell, TL, MB.

Leave out all the "Heatchannel", "Semper", "Axtion", etc. Unless you're trying to direct you business to only ONE mfg (pay to much). All are 95% marketing BS of no real relence. For every mfg yapping about how they cut/sew their ____ using lots of little piece of material to improve shape/flexibility/comfort/etc you'll find a mfg sweeping and reusing up the little pieces of material off the cutting room floor. Every seam is one that more to tear out. Lots of stitches in a small piece of material is bad.

Original question. Janesville is lower middle in everything. Globe and Morning Pride are overpriced marketing driven (based on given material choices and performance for the $). You see lots of advertising for both yapping about all the ______. Who do you thinks pay for this BS?

Then buy your guys leather boots. The extra $80-100 will mean way more to them than going from Advance to PBI. The performance improvement may give you bragging rights in spending $2000/set and perhaps allow an open casket funeral but really no realworld benefit to the FF.
    And what exactly do you base this off of? I have yet to figure out who keeps spreading the rumor that MP and Globe are overpriced and full of hype. I just ordered four sets of MP for some of our new recruits and it is awesome gear. And it was either right about the same or even a little cheaper than comparable gear from other, less recommended manufacterers. Not to mention all of the little things Morning Pride comes standard with that you have to pay extra for with other companies.

Keep drinking the KoolAid...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    And what exactly do you base this off of? I have yet to figure out who keeps spreading the rumor that MP and Globe are overpriced and full of hype. I just ordered four sets of MP for some of our new recruits and it is awesome gear. And it was either right about the same or even a little cheaper than comparable gear from other, less recommended manufacterers. Not to mention all of the little things Morning Pride comes standard with that you have to pay extra for with other companies.

Keep drinking the KoolAid...
    Could be our local salesman trying to make a few extra bucks, but we priced Morning Pride and it was more than everyone else. We previously used all Janesville gear but, bought several sets of Cairns Reaxtion gear to try and so far really like it.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have Janesville in my paid dept. and the vol. dept right now. We are trying to get more gear up for my vol. dept. and was just looking at the options. I know the Janesville is cheaper but like you said you get what you pay for. Of course our budget is limited. We have never had anything but Janesville so I have no knowledge of other brands. Heard pretty good reviews ot the Globe and MP. Really I was wanting a feel of the prices on the Globe to see if it was comparable to Janesville. Wischief how are the prices of the cairns gear you purchased?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wischief View Post
    Could be our local salesman trying to make a few extra bucks, but we priced Morning Pride and it was more than everyone else. We previously used all Janesville gear but, bought several sets of Cairns Reaxtion gear to try and so far really like it.
    I ordered from an online dealer and payed right at $1600 a set for nomex/kevlar blend Morning Pride with all of the Morning Pride bells and whistles. And I had all four sets sitting in my office in 2.5 weeks from date of order.

Hard to beat in my opinion.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I ordered from an online dealer and payed right at $1600 a set for nomex/kevlar blend Morning Pride with all of the Morning Pride bells and whistles. And I had all four sets sitting in my office in 2.5 weeks from date of order.

Hard to beat in my opinion.
    When you next need gear get educated. You overpaid by at least $300 for stock/shelf size gear. Perhaps 2weeks quicker delivery is worth paying extra 25%.

Anything you're buying from edarley is WAY overpriced. I don't have that kind of $ to throw down a rathole at my FD.

A good quality set of Advance, Arashield, RT7100/Stedair 3000 should be under $1300. Uncluding typical features and customized as you think is required (padded knees, radio pocket size, flashlight hook/strap, glove strap, etc). And a salesman should be standing in your station measuring your guys so the gear fits/covers properly. TO gear is certainly one area I'd not ever consider buying online.

Yeah, MP has developed cutting and sewing (see their publications) and bashing their competition. Full of BS trademark nonsense (see heatchannel,tails, Kinetic Kut, Foward Flex, etc etc etc). Endless BS over substance. And it's really nothing great in sewing. Fit is completely subjective.

I have one set each of Veridian (2010), Janeville (2005), Morning Pride (2004). Janesville was bought on FD Fire Grant as cheapest/good enough with decent materials. Morning Pride purchased by a Chief 1st set of gear he'd ever ordered and was based on well known brandname. Very mediocre.

Veridain is by far the best quality I think of the 3 fits well, major seams are triple sewn.

Forum Member

When you next need gear get educated. You overpaid by at least $300 for stock/shelf size gear. Perhaps 2weeks quicker delivery is worth paying extra 25%.

Anything you're buying from edarley is WAY overpriced. I don't have that kind of $ to throw down a rathole at my FD.

A good quality set of Advance, Arashield, RT7100/Stedair 3000 should be under $1300. Uncluding typical features and customized as you think is required (padded knees, radio pocket size, flashlight hook/strap, glove strap, etc). And a salesman should be standing in your station measuring your guys so the gear fits/covers properly. TO gear is certainly one area I'd not ever consider buying online.

Yeah, MP has developed cutting and sewing (see their publications) and bashing their competition. Full of BS trademark nonsense (see heatchannel,tails, Kinetic Kut, Foward Flex, etc etc etc). Endless BS over substance. And it's really nothing great in sewing. Fit is completely subjective.

I have one set each of Veridian (2010), Janeville (2005), Morning Pride (2004). Janesville was bought on FD Fire Grant as cheapest/good enough with decent materials. Morning Pride purchased by a Chief 1st set of gear he'd ever ordered and was based on well known brandname. Very mediocre.

Veridain is by far the best quality I think of the 3 fits well, major seams are triple sewn.
    Before you go running off at the mouth telling someone else to get educated, you may want to do the same.

First off, this was not stock/shelf gear. We sent in full measurement sheets (the same ones you fill out when the rep comes to measure you) that were filled out by our local uniform supplier. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that the gear our guys received was not stock gear- all you have to do is look at how well it fits. To further this fact, my rep actually called me back after the gear had been ordered to say that the factory had called them questioning a measurement we provided. Turns out it was a misprint and it was fixed. I am not really sure why you think you need a rep to come to town to do the same thing a uniform shop can do.

I ordered a set of PBI gear from this dealer back in the fall that was completely made to my spec under the Morning Pride instructor discount program. I went through the same measurement and ordering process then, and my set is easily the best fitting set of gear I have ever owned.

And for the record, this rep did not work for eDarley. But nice try.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

That's funny. Veridian finished last in our wear test.

The most common complaint mentioned was the stiffness and bulkiness of the collar. It was even mentioned by one of our field testers during a live burn that he could not raise his head to look up while crawling due to the collar being either bunched up or pulled down on his neck. We ensured that he was wearing his SCBA properly and his hood wasn't bunched up in the collar. I think it is the design of the gear. I currently wear Veridian and I have found that after wearing the coat for a while my neck will get sore and I feel a lot of weight at the base of my neck directly between the shoulder blades. It feels as if the coat collar is pulling my neck forward. This is both with and without an SCBA so it has to be the coat. None of the other gear tested and none of the other gear I have ever worn has done this.

BTW, our wear test was quite extensive and included all of the other manufacturers you mentioned.

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.

Forum Member

I had never even heard of Veridian until this thread.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

I had never even heard of Veridian until this thread.
    I never heard about it until we started purchasing it approximately six years ago.

It was low bid and we did not have any wear testing whatsoever. Over the years the complaints began to mount mainly about the ergonomics of the gear. That is what drove us into the wear testing program. All were given a fair shake including Veridian. Unfortunately for them they ended up scoring the lowest.

Forum Member

We have been buying Sperian Ultra Motion. It is just as moveable as the Janesville, but so much lighter. Sperian was just bought by Honeywell, owners of Morning Pride. Their user list is extensive! Remember all the different fabrics manufactures use come from the same mills, the only difference is in how the material is cut and sewn together to form the complete set.

Forum Member

I could not believe the mobility that our Morning Pride provided when I first tried it on. It is obvious that it is cut to be able to move in.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Default gear

i like the new type of gear coats were a flap hangs down over your butt of the gear with your last name on it
    Last edited by BFDFirefighter418; 02-19-2011 at 11:20 PM.
    Explorer Lieutenant
    2011 - 2011 - 3 days
    Explorer President
    2008 - 2011
    Fire Explorer
    2005 - 2011
    Volunteer Firefighter
    March 7th -?????

Forum Member

but up the gear ?
    ?

Forum Member

I will never order another set of gear with high back pants. Low pants and a tailed coat is the way to go.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Default yep

tailed coat is the way to go.
    yes it is the way to go
    Explorer Lieutenant
    2011 - 2011 - 3 days
    Explorer President
    2008 - 2011
    Fire Explorer
    2005 - 2011
    Volunteer Firefighter
    March 7th -?????

Forum Member

I will never order another set of gear with high back pants. Low pants and a tailed coat is the way to go.
    I cannot stand the high back pants. We just went with a little longer coat and the hanging name tag from globe. Much better
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm working on quotes for to gear for a fema grant. All three vendors have gear in different price ranges depending on who they are bidding aganist. Were getting MP because thats what the FF liked best, we looked at MP, Globe, and Janesville. I have worn Globe and Janesville and there basically the same. Again it all depends on outer shell and the liner. Were getting Advance outter, E89/Crosstech liner, pocket warmers, radio/flashlight pockets, tail name tags, american flag, cuffs reinforced with armid. Pant with armid on knees with pads, semi bellow pockets, boot cut away. 1000.00 for Jacket and 650.00 for pants. We are getting globe boots. Send me an e mail if you would like all three specs. ampaul@centurytel.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Mfd2008 View Post
    We have been buying Sperian Ultra Motion. It is just as moveable as the Janesville, but so much lighter. Sperian was just bought by Honeywell, owners of Morning Pride. Their user list is extensive! Remember all the different fabrics manufactures use come from the same mills, the only difference is in how the material is cut and sewn together to form the complete set.
    Yes most of the fabric comes from southern mills, which now has a different name. I was told that there is also some stuff from Canada hitting the market

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by admpaul View Post
    I'm working on quotes for to gear for a fema grant. All three vendors have gear in different price ranges depending on who they are bidding aganist. Were getting MP because thats what the FF liked best, we looked at MP, Globe, and Janesville. I have worn Globe and Janesville and there basically the same. Again it all depends on outer shell and the liner. Were getting Advance outter, E89/Crosstech liner, pocket warmers, radio/flashlight pockets, tail name tags, american flag, cuffs reinforced with armid. Pant with armid on knees with pads, semi bellow pockets, boot cut away. 1000.00 for Jacket and 650.00 for pants. We are getting globe boots. Send me an e mail if you would like all three specs. ampaul@centurytel.net
    You should be getting PBI in that price range. I wouldn't expect to pay over $1500-$1550 a set for Advance with E89/Crosstech. Tell them they can do better.

Thread Information