Forum Member

Talking What's the funniest incident ever on your rig?

This happened years ago to a close friend, who as he got older, finally left the field and trained to work in Dispatch (as I did).

So one night, he was on a Rescue truck, an old beat up Modular type vehicle, when he and his partner took a patient into the hospital in the city.

Well, we used to leave the motor idling, because often the rigs would not start back up, when this old drunk, waiting for a bed, wandered out of the waiting room and saw the idling unit.

Well, you guessed it, he got in the rig and drove it away, now this hospital was on a island, connected by a bridge, and my friend came out of the ER with the stretcher only to see his unit going the wrong way across the bridge to the city.

It only gets better, because by now, everyone knows it and is monitoring the radio, and the dispatcher is periodically calling the man, whose only reply was "Doing Just Fine, Doing Just Fine" until he bogged the unit down on the eastside, and thankfully he didn't put the red lights or siren on because he was too busy driving!

Well, to sum it all up, they brought him back on a Baker Act observation to the very same hospital he left from, and one of the cops took my friend and his partner to retrieve the rig.

To this very day, I can only speak those immortal words and get my friend going, "Doing Just Fine, Doing Just Fine".

Forum Member

We dumped about a gallon of palmolive in the empty tank of our brush truck during a woods fire....Had our rookie go fill it up

Always a classic

Forum Member

One evening one of the firefighters had apparently gotten an air horn ringtone on his phone and kept coming up behind one of the medics and playing it in his ear.

Very early the next morning the engine and medic unit get sent out for a vehicle accident, turned out to be a minor accident (van swerved, allegedly to miss something, went off road into hydrant, then tree, rolled over once, driver got out and walked around). The engine crew went back to quarters (and back to bed) and the medic unit, on which I was an observer, transported the driver to the local hospital.

On the way back from the hospital, the medic conspired with the driver to "get back" at the firefighter who had been playing the air horn ringtone in his ear all evening. Our station is designed such that the door to the bunk room is at the back of the bay directly behind where the medic unit parks. So what they did is instead of backing into the bay, they pulled in head-first, the medic got out and threw open the bunk room door, and the driver stood on the air horn button for a good ten seconds.

Ah, the looks on the faces that suddenly popped up all over the room...priceless!

On a related note, I don't think many of the residents near the station (our station is in a residential neighborhood) will be sad to see us go when we move into our new station that's supposed to get built this year...
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

Talking "Good Pooch, now come on, get out"

I was starting to think there would be no responses, but seriously, let's keep the humor alive for a very stressful job, we can do (or did) our jobs, but let's take the time to laugh at some of the things we did or someone else did.

So another one comes to mind where I was involved:

Early morning we get a call alone for an elderly male with some SOB, we arrive and are greeted at the door by a very friendly dog who leads us back to the patient, we give him the usual procedures and prepare him for transport.

This is where it gets funny, we wheel the patient out to the unit, the dog follows and she sees us ready to load, jumps in the back of the unit and sits on the squad bench, we can't coax the dog out, so we unload the patient (he's stable), the dog jumps out.

This goes on for several times, we load, the dog loads, finally my partner says he's had enough of this, by this time a cop drops by to see if we need any help, my partner says yeah, hold the dog while we load the patient.

He does, we load, and I slam the back doors, partner and the Patient are in the back, minus one very upset dog, who starts circling the unit whining trying to get in.

The cop is preparing to leave and I get ready to drive, open the driver's door and the dog jumps in, my partner is telling me to get going, the dog looks she is ready to drive, and the cop is nowhere to be found now, finally a neighbor comes out and retrieves the dog, we leave running Black for the Hospital, end of story.

I often wonder whatever happened to that loyal dog, whether she got re-united with her owner or what, "Good Pooch, now come on, get out".

Forum Member

Talking It's late, do you know where your Hose is tonight?

So after several members wrote me an E-Mail, here is another one:

This happened soon after I had trained to work in Dispatch, I was working one afternoon when I received a call from a citizen who reported that there was a long length of fire hose laying down the street.

She didn't want to stop, so I called a Chief who was on the air and asked him to check it out, and coming down the street he spotted the hose laying right there in the middle of the roadway, it looked to be the size we used in our hose beds!

Well he got out and dragged the entire length of the hose to the side of the road, and then starting checking the hose, and engraved on the fittings at either end was a Supply Control Number.

So since it was early, Supply was still open, and they supplied us with the Station that had checked it out last, and lo and behold, that very same Station was nearby,
    so he loaded the Hose into his SUV and drove over there, and when he got there, he noticed the rear bay doors were open, as obviously the Engine had entered the Station from there.

Entering through them, he immediately noticed that the hose bed was empty, every last stitch of hose was gone, so he went inside and informed the Captain that he wanted to inspect the Engine, so everybody went outside and watched as the Captain realized that the Hose Bed was empty, and the Chief just couldn't help himself, he asked the Captain (who was new in rank) where the Hose was.

Now this was one worried Captain as he stammered "He didn't know", and started to man the Engine with his men to go searching for it, when the Chief says "Later, I've got some supplies out in the SUV, give me a hand, Cap"

The Chief and the Captain went outside to the SUV and the Chief pulled down the tailgate and there was the Hose laying there, needless to say, the Captain had a very hard time living that one down, and up to the time I retired, I'd call the Captain up every so often (if he had had a late call) and ask him,"It's late, do you know where your Hose is tonight?"

MembersZone Subscriber

Best one ever for me:

Call for a battery victim, at the local sports bar that we seem to end up at weekly for fights. Local law enforcement on scene times four or five, so of course the lot is choked up with police cruisers. We had a good size crew, and given the clients that come out of the joint, I opted to stay with the rig as I was driving and make sure no one got too curious with it.

So the injured party is being treated indoors, the assailant is outside, cuffed and detained against a police vehicle while being questioned, and out comes another individual independent of the incident, looking ready to leave.

He struggles to get his keys out of his pocket, appears to me to be clearly intoxicated, and while doing so actually verbally interacts with one of police officers. He finally succeeds in gaining entry to his vehicle, and gets it, starts it, and sits. I figured maybe he wasn't a drunk, perhaps has some other issues, as the police officer didn't blink an eye as he was entering his car, etc. My belief was he was going to sit until the lot cleared out so he could leave.

Five or so minutes later, without warning, the driver promptly puts the car into reverse, accelerates and backs squarely into an unoccupied squad car 10 feet behind him. I suspect he dozed off in his car, woke up, maybe had a moment of panic, and tried to leave.

Best part of the whole episode was the driver immediately pulled forward back into his spot, shut the car off, stepped out of the car, put his hands behind his back and leaned over the hood before any of the police folks had time to react. While the incident could have had a bad outcome, the manner in which the driver "assumed the position" was priceless...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Not mine, yet one from my brother.

While on an In-flight emergency, my brother and his crew noticed something along Hotel taxi large in size. While waiting for the aircraft in question, the crew chief repositioned the apparatus to investigate the debris. Upon further inspection it was found to be a LARGE snapping turtle, which needed to be removed from the flight line. Beings they were waiting for an aircraft with a possible fire emergency and could not leave, they covered it with a turn out coat and placed it in the compartment on top of a few tool boxes. Upon return to the station, they acted as if there was a problem with some equipment, and asked one of the engine guys to grab a socket set off of the rescue.........
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Talking Good One's Guys

I opted to stay with the rig as I was driving and make sure no one got too curious with it.

Upon return to the station, they acted as if there was a problem with some equipment, and asked one of the engine guys to grab a socket set off of the rescue.........

Good one's NPFD801 and mtg55!

It got to the point where I had extra keys made for my unit so we COULD lock it up while it was running (at the scene, at the Hospital, etc).

Because depending on what unit it was, sometimes it wouldn't start again.

It was SOOOO embarrassing to call for another unit for transport.

Sooner or later, they finally seemed to get a grip on the mechanical issues.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    One evening one of the firefighters had apparently gotten an air horn ringtone on his phone and kept coming up behind one of the medics and playing it in his ear.

Very early the next morning the engine and medic unit get sent out for a vehicle accident, turned out to be a minor accident (van swerved, allegedly to miss something, went off road into hydrant, then tree, rolled over once, driver got out and walked around). The engine crew went back to quarters (and back to bed) and the medic unit, on which I was an observer, transported the driver to the local hospital.

On the way back from the hospital, the medic conspired with the driver to "get back" at the firefighter who had been playing the air horn ringtone in his ear all evening. Our station is designed such that the door to the bunk room is at the back of the bay directly behind where the medic unit parks. So what they did is instead of backing into the bay, they pulled in head-first, the medic got out and threw open the bunk room door, and the driver stood on the air horn button for a good ten seconds.

Ah, the looks on the faces that suddenly popped up all over the room...priceless!

On a related note, I don't think many of the residents near the station (our station is in a residential neighborhood) will be sad to see us go when we move into our new station that's supposed to get built this year...
    Who was going to be the man and stand up to the MAN when he came down on their *****es and what if one of those members in their racks had an heart attack?

You don't do child play in the fire house.

You guys are ******ing the neighborhood off playing games.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Who was going to be the man and stand up to the MAN when he came down on their *****es and what if one of those members in their racks had an heart attack?

You don't do child play in the fire house.

If you're in this line of work, and going to get an AMI, it's not going to be from an airhorn.

Re: child play---HAHHAHAHA I want to see how high your fire department's morale is........

Forum Member

Wink I Smell Pizza!

We were having one of those days where it was one emergency call after another, so since it was well into the afternoon, and we had not made it back to the station yet, we were desperate.

So we slid sideways (just kidding) into a drive-in Pizza place and asked for anything they had at the moment, and were preparing to eat it in the parking lot, when they banged out another call for us and a Engine.

We ran into someone else's territory because they were busy also, and found the Engine with a little old lady, stable with a very minor CVA or TIA.

We did all of the procedures on her, loaded her up and started for the Hospital, and I'm driving and my Senior is in the back, and in the meantime, the Pizza is under the front seats, staying hot on the hot floor, wrapped in towels.

Well, the LOL was very stable and her VS's were very good, so my Partner, sitting behind her in the Captain's chair, asked for a slice of Pizza, because he was starving, so at a traffic light, I pulled a slice out and handed it to him through the glass divider.

So with the patient still stable, he's eating his Pizza behind her and I'm wolfing mine down, when all of a sudden, the LOL screeches at the top of her lungs: "I smell Pizza" and my Partner, who had almost flung his slice across the compartment from the surprise, quickly said that it was just a side effect of a possible CVA or TIA.

And about every minute or so, she would screech out "I smell Pizza" (think along the lines of the "Where's my Beef" commercial) until we got to the Hospital, with one very confused LOL who was still screeching out "I smell Pizza" to anyone who would listen.

Luckily the ER staff didn't connect the dots and we didn't say anything, but we did manage to finally get to eat as we were beyond desperate by then!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney15 View Post
    "I smell Pizza" (think along the lines of the "Where's my Beef" commercial)
    ROFL...It's "Where's the beef". "Where's my beef" has an entirely different meaning altogether!
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

Default "Where's THE Beef?"

Yeah, a memory is a terrible thing to have if it's not right, mines like Swiss cheese, full of holes.

Forum Member

One of the funniest moments we had was returning from a burnt food-on-the-stove structure fire type calls. Long day, this topped it off. On the way back we were listening to the FM radio and the words start going "Love, is a burning thing, it makes a fiery ring". All the members in the cab started hollering it and by the time we got back to the station and put county 911 on to call back in quarters the chorus was in full swing, so we left the mic keyed for just a touch longer for the county to join in the great song with us

Chief at the time must not have liked the song to much, he pulled the fuse out of the radio on the truck.

Was very funny.

Forum Member

Not entirely sure this is in the correct forum here, but till a mod moves it, mine as well keep going!

So a few months back we had a decent gas leak up in the heights section of town. We had all the area evac and marked the hot zone, no one comes in without being plugged in. Well with one part time cop on that night, traffic started to build up in some areas surrounding the hot zone. As we were low on staffing that day too, we began to flair off a block away from where the zone started, to avoid any more traffic mishab's. Half way through, the driver on that call handed 2 flairs to a new guy, and said "go take these to the chief" so the new guy plugged in, and started walking toward the chief (in the hot zone) By the time he got to the chief, he realized what we had done and started to yell to him to get out of the zone with a damn flair (unlit). He was pretty p.o.'d on scene but after we laughed about it and busted the probie's nuts for awhile.

Another happened to me tonight. We ran a Tractor Trailer fire in a lumber yard, us expecting the worst. We arrived to just the tractor off (and pretty much gone) so the engine stretched a line as we began pulling debrie out of what was the cab. My captain comes up to me and tells me to open the door on the cab. Without thinking I reached my hand in to push the lock up, and there was no lock. No door for that matter and just a frame. I got a kick out of it, and I'll be busted about that one for a few weeks.

Nothing spectacular, but we don't get many runs around here, so things are... dry.

Forum Member

Here's a few off of the top of my head;

We had one guy that used to get deep into conversation while driving. He'd often pass up the firehouse after a run, and the Lt. would just let him keep talking to see how far past the firehouse he'd go.

Years ago the rescue at our station had just recieved a new truck. One of the guys on the engine painted a bolt red and threw it under the new truck. He pointed it out to the rescue crew and they spent an hour under the truck on creepers trying to find out where it came from.

Once on a run, we were trying to turn down an alley to get to our run address. There was a car that had stopped at the street and the Lt. was trying to wave the car out of the way. The driver laid on the siren, Q, and airhorn to no avail, the driver just sat there with a blank look on his face. The Lt., who rarely got upset, jumped out of the seat, slammed the door, started waving to the guy to move as he stormed towards the car. He made it about 3 steps before his head snapped backwards...due to the headset he still had on his head that had the cord stuck in the door he just slammed.

Forum Member

One of the guys on the engine painted a bolt red and threw it under the new truck.
    I'm going to have to remember this one

One of our neighboring stations (like us, volunteer) brought a new truck. While it was being delivered, the delivery driver wrecked it a quarter mile from the station. I don't think anybody got hurt, but I don't know how bad it was damaged, either...

(can you imagine THAT phone call..."Hey boss, guess what? The good news is that I got here...")

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know if this one is cruel or funny, I tend to lead towards cruel, but I'll let others decide:

We used to have this captain in my old department who ran our recruit academy who would at some point have the class load up an entire bed of LDH, around 1000' if I remember correctly. When they'd get it all loaded up he'd ask them if they checked all the gaskets. "Yes Sir!" would be the immediate reply. Then he'd ask them, "Are you sure???" Again, the response would be "Yes Sir!" At this point, he'd produce an LDH gasket from his pocket and scream, "Then where is THIS from?" A panicked look would cross the recruit classes faces and they'd proceed to unload and disconnect the entire 1000' of LDH. Eventually they'd discover that there were in fact no gaskets missing because the one the captain produced was one he had pulled from storage. His justification was that it made sure that they'd never fail to check gaskets after that. He did it to every recruit class and I personally thought it was BS, but nobody ever said anything about it. If you want to teach them a proper lesson, remove a gasket from the hose before they load it.

Forum Member

Default Joke

On the same line....put a bolt underneath a Fire Engine and watch the Engineer spend most of his shift trying to find where it came from. I can say this as I was the Engineer who spent the shift looking for a missing bolt......
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

My volunteer company does not run EMS calls unless requested by the hospital based EMS company in our township and normally it is for lifting or extrication from a residence. Our dispatch notified us for non emergency lift assist on a cold snowy and icy day. We are rural and the driveway we were in was steep and ice covered and there were alot of steps around the house so we figured when we pulled in we were to bring someone out and just give some muscle to the situation. We always help bring people out never take them in so we figured this was no different. The ambulance was parked on a steep drive and no EMS crew around the rig. So we opened the back doors to retrieve the stretcher to take it inside. As we are doing this we are kind of joking as fireman do about the oversized load this person probably is and other such jokes. We had been out on storm calls all night and cranky and trying to make the best of being up for 6 hours after running on only a few hours sleep. In my crew getting in on the inside laughs is a new guy in the company who was trying to pull the stretcher out. The way the rig was parked we figured the steepness and the stretcher was kind of heavy is to why it would not come out and of course we are still joking about the situation and we cant see the front of the stretcher. Finally after getting the stretcher out the new guy looked down to see a face and jumped only then to slip on the ice and fall in the snow. We all jumped after realizing there is a patient on the gurney and luckily my Asst Chief grabbed the stretcher so it did not tip and the wheels were in the down position. What were not advised of when we pulled in was we were helping to take somebody inside not bring them out and the EMS crew was inside moving some furniture to get the patient to a hospital bed inside. The patient was covered up on the stretcher and the only thing showing was the patients face which of course was the last to come out and scare us all. Luckily the patient was elderly and with his medical situation he didn't hear any of the jokes. We got the patient inside without any further incident. The new guy after hitting the ground managed to break the ice of a puddle and was soaked to the skin. We still laugh about kind of putting our foot in our mouths that day.

Forum Member

We got called out on a car fire earlier this week. The vehicle was abandoned, and appeared to an insurance job. The deputy on scene was talking to us while we waited for the wrecker, and said, "You guys are my heroes. You kick in someones door, and they bring you cookies and say thank you. I kick in someones door, and they get ****ed off at me."

Forum Member

A 14 year old girl smoked some potpourri and thought she was dying.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    A 14 year old girl smoked some potpourri and thought she was dying.
    Sounds hysterical.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Another thing we used to do to any of the new recruits or ff's that transferred into the station was that the first time their wife of girlfriend visited the station, one firefighter would after being introduced, he'd look at the new guy incredulously and ask "That's your wife? (or GF) That's your WIFE? Then when they nodded yes, he'd respond; "SHE'S NOT FAT!!" A few guys got hit pretty hard by their wives with that one.

Forum Member

Happened this morning....

Called out to go on scene for a Truck not wanting to start. Had to finish up what I was doing, so it took me about 30 minutes to get there. Talked to the driver and Officer, and they said they'd been there awhile doing nothing and shut the rig down for about an hour. Went to start it, nada, not even clicks. Asked if they kicked the front tire, and obviously, the answer was "no". So laughing, I went over and kicked the front tire, jumped in, and started the rig. Silence.... except for a running truck.

Me?? I just turned my head and smiled. Shut it down, and restarted it. Didn't find anything wrong, and they made a few more runs. Beats me what happened. But the looks and comments were priceless.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information