Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    I find that the P90X workouts work well for me. It's not just the workouts though, it's the full program that works. The program focuses on strength, flexibility, mental relaxation, cardio and muscle confusion.

Everyone I know that uses/has used P90X has said the same thing. You have to follow it for everything, including the nutrition plan. The strength workouts are good, but if you don't do the whole entire program, you don't get the max results.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's very true, but we've incorporated the basics of the nutrition portion. Increased protein, less carbs, no or less sugars and still had great results.

I'm not a salesman, but I do know that it works. My body is not perfect, but it's a lot healthier than it was a year ago.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

The nutrition part is all based on what you want... If you want to get big, then you're diet is MUCH different than say if you want to lose weight and stay slim. Also, your workout types should be different as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you want job specific training, I've come upon a few articles on t-nation.com by Dan John. The first link, which talks about goblet squats, has within it two more links, one about metabolic swings, and another about loaded carries (like what we do when we're humping hose, or a bunch of gear up a high rise, for example). Good reads, IMO:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...let_squats_101

If you've ever tried carrying a sandbag while wearing a vest, while also dragging an attatched sled, it becomes immediately apparent how that type of effort transfers to the job. Great conditioning for carrying a civilian or an injured FF, humping a blitz line, throwing a 35', making the 20th floor of a high rise, etc.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BennyT373 View Post
    I would invest in some good literature... some books by Men's Health or things like that. Don't forget one VERRYYYYY crucial element... DIET! You can work out all you want, but you won't be at your full potential unless your fueling your body properly.
    Benny is right about diet being important. In my humble opinion...I would stay away from Men's Health, Maxim, or any other "Men" magazines for nutritional advice. They're all a joke.

The sole purpose of magazines is to stay in circulation...anything to fill the pages...so lots of BS.

Here are some eating plans I have had great success with:

"The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson
    "The Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolf
    "The Zone Diet" by Barry Sears

Forum Member

Paleo for the win! Who knew you could eat meat and be healthy? Just started 2-3 weeks ago and although I'm not 100% Paleo yet, I love what its doing for me

If you get a chance, pick up Robb Wolfe's above mentioned book. Well worth the read. It will give you a whole new outlook on what is good for the bod
    Last edited by FDNYPD; 03-04-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Forum Member

I never meant the magazines, as they are never consistent. The book I refer to is the "Hard Body Plan" by authors of Mens Health. It's more of a "basics" book to educate on how to begin a good diet. It lay's out a 12 week workout plan, which is for guys who troll the beach, not functional workouts for FF. It just breaks down the basics, got some recipes and what not in it. Would I follow it verbatim? No. But, if for the purpose of learning beginning basics, I believe it's good. The LL Cool J platinum workout is decent too. It was a NY Time best seller. Once again, all basics and for the beginner. There is a ton of stuff out there. And as long as your being pro-active and trying to learn new things, you can't go wrong no matter which route you take.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Paleo for the win! Who knew you could eat meat and be healthy? Just started 2-3 weeks ago and although I'm not 100% Paleo yet, I love what its doing for me

If you get a chance, pick up Robb Wolfe's above mentioned book. Well worth the read. It will give you a whole new outlook on what is good for the bod
    I've never felt better than when I was on a strict Paleo lifestyle.

My sleep, body composition, energy, focus, mood an motivation were all firing on all cylinders.

I'm on a Starting Strength cycle right now...so calories and GOMAD are king. Once I get my strength levels where I want them I'm going back to Paleo.

Forum Member

I never meant the magazines, as they are never consistent. The book I refer to is the "Hard Body Plan" by authors of Mens Health. It's more of a "basics" book to educate on how to begin a good diet. It lay's out a 12 week workout plan, which is for guys who troll the beach, not functional workouts for FF. It just breaks down the basics, got some recipes and what not in it. Would I follow it verbatim? No. But, if for the purpose of learning beginning basics, I believe it's good. The LL Cool J platinum workout is decent too. It was a NY Time best seller. Once again, all basics and for the beginner. There is a ton of stuff out there. And as long as your being pro-active and trying to learn new things, you can't go wrong no matter which route you take.
    Gotcha...

I think anyone can agree: Up the lean meats, the healthy fats and the fruits and veggies...and ditch the processed carbs, sugar, HFCS, etc. and your life and fitness will improve dramatically.

Forum Member

Amen, Coug! My trash can is basically a compost pile from apples, bananas, etc.

Forum Member

One of the biggest things I did, and saw awesome results, was dropping soda. I wasn't a huge soda junkie, but I prolly had a soda a day or so. Well I dropped that and drink water/milk or OJ now, and I can tell ya it was a big difference when I started doing that.

Forum Member

Pop is a waste... just like smoking cigarettes... It's pointless, expensive, and has ZERO positive effects.

Forum Member

A mix of lots of cardio (at least 45min each day), quality strength training and diet.

Make sure to refeed with good food. Keep protien up, eat lots of veggies and make the bulk of your carbs slow digesting ones, such as oat meal, brown rice and sweet potatoes.

There is lots of info on all of this, just create a plan that you can sustain longterm and your will acheive your goals.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFEP101 View Post
    A mix of lots of cardio (at least 45min each day), quality strength training and diet.

Make sure to refeed with good food. Keep protien up, eat lots of veggies and make the bulk of your carbs slow digesting ones, such as oat meal, brown rice and sweet potatoes.

There is lots of info on all of this, just create a plan that you can sustain longterm and your will acheive your goals.
    If you workout and need carbs, the sweet potatoes are something with which I can agree but oats, grains and wheat are robbing you of nutrients and the body doesnt digest them. The body uses nothing but the sugar you sprinkle on top. They sit in the intestines and soak up your essential calcium, magnesium and zinc. After they take up what they need to germinate, they get released into the loo.

Otherwise, get your carbs from fruit sugars on hard workout days

Forum Member

Check out starting strength. Mark Rippetoe.

Forum Member

I'm on week 4 of Starting Strength. It's going well. Probably going to look into Texas Method, or CrossFit Football when I'm done.

Forum Member

Hey all member's of the forum I think that Cardio is the best one to do. And also many of the person's and the member's of the forum got much positive and influencing effects of that kind of.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    I'm on week 4 of Starting Strength. It's going well. Probably going to look into Texas Method, or CrossFit Football when I'm done.
    What is Texas Method and CrossFit Football...I'm not familiar with these

Forum Member

What is Texas Method and CrossFit Football...I'm not familiar with these
    http://www.crossfitfootball.com

Texas method is a intermediate continuation of Starting Strength.

Forum Member

Ohhh, just a different workout regime. Looks good

Forum Member

I don't know about anyone else's experiences with this, but before the fire company I fought MMA, I circuit trained then, and still do now and I love it!

Forum Member

Im not a FF but I am currently doing SS. I am actually doing a SS seminar on the 15th.

Starting strength is a book and a program but beyond the program is a very in-depth description and instruction on how to do the major lifts by mark rippetoe. He has some youtube videos and has written the most respected books on barbell training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by simpllyhuge View Post
    Im not a FF but I am currently doing SS. I am actually doing a SS seminar on the 15th.

Starting strength is a book and a program but beyond the program is a very in-depth description and instruction on how to do the major lifts by mark rippetoe. He has some youtube videos and has written the most respected books on barbell training.
    I am in week 8 of Starting Strength. It is going very well. I'm hoping to reach the following work sets by the time I leave the program:

Squat: 315 x 5
    Bench: 225 x 5
    Press: 135 x 5
    Clean: 195 x 5
    Deadlift: 350 x 5

Prior to doing Starting Strength, I was a huge advocate of CrossFit and related programs (SealFit, Military Athlete, General CrossFit programming, etc.) on this board. My department even put me through my CF Level 1 trainer program to bring to our line firefighters as part of our PT programming.

However, my major liability was overall strength. I had a good "work capacity" as it pertained to CrossFit workouts, but my strength was lacking.

My opinions have evolved. Raw strength is the most important foundation of this job. horsepower (Cardio - CrossFit) is great, but torque (Strength) is the motor that drives the "vehicle" in this job.

Before, due to bodyweight and strength limitations, I struggled to handle a 2.5" hoseline on my own. After 8 weeks of SS, I can do it with ease.

Obviously, there is a balance point to be found. My plan is to focus on strength through the end of the year, possibly longer, and THEN add conditioning work back into the program.

Just my 2 cents.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by benjy22 View Post
    I know there's probably a thousand threads on here about this but I wanted to ask some questions. I currently train with mostly bodyweight exercises (pull-ups, push-ups, dips, dive bomber push-ups, lunges, squat jumps, tire flips also) and running for cardio. I also do a lot of sledgehammer work on a tire twice a week. I don't want to hear about crossfit because I don't like it and I don't care what you have to say about it because it's not going to change my mind. I don't want to to be average at 30 things I want to be the best physically fit person for firefighting around. I'm probably going to get back to some strength training weight lifting soon and eventually get a weighted vest. What suggestions do you all have that I can do for cheap that will make me ready for the job other than what I do now?
    Here are two excellent books.....

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Get.../9781569756263

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...SRI=fit+or+fat

PM me if you want more details on the workout itself from the first book, I currently take a class written by the author and there are some tricks you need to know that aren't covered in the book

Forum Member

So when you are using the weight vest is it only for the stair climber or do you use it when you run to? do you use it weight lifting?

Thread Information