Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Forum Member

I'm on week 4 of Starting Strength. It's going well. Probably going to look into Texas Method, or CrossFit Football when I'm done.

Forum Member

Hey all member's of the forum I think that Cardio is the best one to do. And also many of the person's and the member's of the forum got much positive and influencing effects of that kind of.....

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    I'm on week 4 of Starting Strength. It's going well. Probably going to look into Texas Method, or CrossFit Football when I'm done.
    What is Texas Method and CrossFit Football...I'm not familiar with these

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BennyT373 View Post
    What is Texas Method and CrossFit Football...I'm not familiar with these
    http://www.crossfitfootball.com

Texas method is a intermediate continuation of Starting Strength.

Ohhh, just a different workout regime. Looks good

I don't know about anyone else's experiences with this, but before the fire company I fought MMA, I circuit trained then, and still do now and I love it!

Forum Member

Im not a FF but I am currently doing SS. I am actually doing a SS seminar on the 15th.

Starting strength is a book and a program but beyond the program is a very in-depth description and instruction on how to do the major lifts by mark rippetoe. He has some youtube videos and has written the most respected books on barbell training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by simpllyhuge View Post
    Im not a FF but I am currently doing SS. I am actually doing a SS seminar on the 15th.

Starting strength is a book and a program but beyond the program is a very in-depth description and instruction on how to do the major lifts by mark rippetoe. He has some youtube videos and has written the most respected books on barbell training.
    I am in week 8 of Starting Strength. It is going very well. I'm hoping to reach the following work sets by the time I leave the program:

Squat: 315 x 5
    Bench: 225 x 5
    Press: 135 x 5
    Clean: 195 x 5
    Deadlift: 350 x 5

Prior to doing Starting Strength, I was a huge advocate of CrossFit and related programs (SealFit, Military Athlete, General CrossFit programming, etc.) on this board. My department even put me through my CF Level 1 trainer program to bring to our line firefighters as part of our PT programming.

However, my major liability was overall strength. I had a good "work capacity" as it pertained to CrossFit workouts, but my strength was lacking.

My opinions have evolved. Raw strength is the most important foundation of this job. horsepower (Cardio - CrossFit) is great, but torque (Strength) is the motor that drives the "vehicle" in this job.

Before, due to bodyweight and strength limitations, I struggled to handle a 2.5" hoseline on my own. After 8 weeks of SS, I can do it with ease.

Obviously, there is a balance point to be found. My plan is to focus on strength through the end of the year, possibly longer, and THEN add conditioning work back into the program.

Just my 2 cents.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by benjy22 View Post
    I know there's probably a thousand threads on here about this but I wanted to ask some questions. I currently train with mostly bodyweight exercises (pull-ups, push-ups, dips, dive bomber push-ups, lunges, squat jumps, tire flips also) and running for cardio. I also do a lot of sledgehammer work on a tire twice a week. I don't want to hear about crossfit because I don't like it and I don't care what you have to say about it because it's not going to change my mind. I don't want to to be average at 30 things I want to be the best physically fit person for firefighting around. I'm probably going to get back to some strength training weight lifting soon and eventually get a weighted vest. What suggestions do you all have that I can do for cheap that will make me ready for the job other than what I do now?
    Here are two excellent books.....

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Get.../9781569756263

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...SRI=fit+or+fat

PM me if you want more details on the workout itself from the first book, I currently take a class written by the author and there are some tricks you need to know that aren't covered in the book

Forum Member

So when you are using the weight vest is it only for the stair climber or do you use it when you run to? do you use it weight lifting?

Quote Originally Posted by mikecarroll84 View Post
    So when you are using the weight vest is it only for the stair climber or do you use it when you run to? do you use it weight lifting?
    I would NOT use a vest for a run. If doing short runs, say 100m, that's different. But do it with lighter weight so you don't blow out your knees and spine. Using a vest during workouts is an excellent boost! When you use the vest, it ultimately work's all your muscles, more so than the muscle group you are focusing on. Just make sure its a tight fit. You don't want a loose vest throwing off your stabilization.

Forum Member

quick question..
    i have a physical ability test in a few days.. been working out/training for it.. but what are your suggestions for the day before the test? Do no work outs at all and let your legs rest, or do a light run/walk/climb?

Also.. what to eat the morning of the test.. i know not to eat anything heavy and drink plenty of water.. but what do you guys usually eat for energy?

I trained MMA Previously before joining my Fire Department, but I continue the workouts from those classes on the FD, and am in better shape then just about everyone else who goes to the gym on the department. I Circuit Train, and still take heavy influence from my days of fighting, with a few tweaks here and there. Circuit training allows you to build strength, but is heavy on card so I guess it works quite well for the FD situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyT373 View Post
    I would NOT use a vest for a run. If doing short runs, say 100m, that's different. But do it with lighter weight so you don't blow out your knees and spine. Using a vest during workouts is an excellent boost! When you use the vest, it ultimately work's all your muscles, more so than the muscle group you are focusing on. Just make sure its a tight fit. You don't want a loose vest throwing off your stabilization.
    Not arguing, just throwing out a point.

Many people run with weight vest (ranging in weight from 10 pounds to 100) fairly often with no ill effects. For the past 2 years, I haven't ran without a rucksack weighing 45 pounds. If you have poor running technique then you'll have problems, weight or not.

My BC's son runs with a 100lb one nearly every day in afghanistan, my neighbor and I run with 45-75 on the days that we're off. You are correct on getting it to fit perfectly. The workload it puts on your core is intense and the amount of help it's given to my balance is well worth it.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Not arguing, just throwing out a point.

Many people run with weight vest (ranging in weight from 10 pounds to 100) fairly often with no ill effects. For the past 2 years, I haven't ran without a rucksack weighing 45 pounds. If you have poor running technique then you'll have problems, weight or not.

My BC's son runs with a 100lb one nearly every day in afghanistan, my neighbor and I run with 45-75 on the days that we're off. You are correct on getting it to fit perfectly. The workload it puts on your core is intense and the amount of help it's given to my balance is well worth it.
    I should have clarified.... I know several people who wear it all the time as well. My only point was it's not for the novice trainee... or you'll be to sure to work out for weeks haha. Once you get in pretty good shape, it's a great way to really amp it up. Just don't watch in info-mercial and think you want to get in shape and go throw 100lbs on your back and take off... baby steps or you'll walk like an old lady.

PM me if you want more details on the workout itself from the first book, I currently take a class written by the author and there are some tricks you need to know that aren't covered in the book[/QUOTE]

My buddy got me this book but ive never tried it. Is it really a great read?

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post

PM me if you want more details on the workout itself from the first book, I currently take a class written by the author and there are some tricks you need to know that aren't covered in the book
    My buddy got me this book but i never used it. Is it really a good read?

Thread Information