Thread: Leatherheads

Forum Member

Default Leatherheads

Im the new proud owner of a Sam Houston N6A. Untill then I was wearing the Bullard traditional. It took me a few days to get used to the weight. but now that I have it adjusted accordingly I love it. So My question is How many leatherheads we got around here?

Bobby

Forum Member

Right on brother! I have been in an N6A for about 6 months now..

What you need is a shield that is the crowning jewel for a great helmet like this.. Go see Bryan at Red House Shields.com and order yourself up a "Dark Knight" model like I did. My shield is pictured in the "Standard Shield" section ( I have no idea why since it is a Dark Knight model), the last one on the bottom "LHFD, 141, HANLON".

For N6A Sammys, have him make it the old-school "flared" version, 6.25" and a bit thinner. Mention my shield and he will know exactly what you are talking about.

I am having him make me another one just like that one but with the lettering painted white.. Hey, one of his shields is just never enough

Forum Member

I have 2 Sam Houstons, one for each department. Love them both.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronValor View Post

Im the new proud owner of a Sam Houston N6A. Untill then I was wearing the Bullard traditional. It took me a few days to get used to the weight. but now that I have it adjusted accordingly I love it. So My question is How many leatherheads we got around here?

Bobby
    I have an N6A and and N5A. My N5 is my "work lid"... I'm giving my son my
    N6A when he graduates from the Academy in March.
    Here's the work lid...

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Nice N5A Chief.. Did you take the brass "cap" off the very top or is it painted white also?

Forum Member

To be honest.. I never really looked.. a friend refinished it for me.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Oldie but a goodie
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

I have two. N6A and Conway Heritage. The Conway sits lower and rides better, but the N6A looks way more bad ***! Congrads on the helmet, I'll never willingly wear plastic again.

Forum Member

My next helmet will be a Conway Heritage. I really like those. I will always wear the N6A first but I just want to try one since I already have an N6A now..

Forum Member

leather forever
    Lieutenant
    Joel Chouinard
    Rescue Co. 106 "When Push Comes To Shove"
    Engine Co. 307 "Pride Of The South Side"
    Cairns Leather, the only choice!

Forum Member

I have a few pictures of some nice leathers on my website if you guys would like to check them out:

www.capitolcityfirehelmets.webs.com

Forum Member

I am going to have to second that shoutout to Red House Shields. I also have the Dark Knight on my Phenix Leather and it is awesome! He does great work.

Forum Member

speaking of leather. Ive seen a bunch of you have taken out the top of the head pad in the houstons. What does this accomplish? Should I do it? Hows it done? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by truckedup133; 02-19-2011 at 01:05 AM.
    "It's a living thing brian..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    speaking of leather. Ive seen a bunch of you have taken out the top of the head pad in the houstons. What does this accomplish? Should I do it? Hows it done? Thanks in advance.
    It lets the helmet sit lower on your head in a more positive way. Just snip away at the back of the pad.. easy enough and takes about 30 seconds.

If you don't like it, the fire store sells a replacement pad. Look in "replacement parts" section of the Cairns helmet section.

Forum Member

Ive always wondered. What is the major diffrences between the leathers I see some swear by the New Yawkah. Some swear by the Paul Conway, Alot of the Lexington Fire guys I work with swear by the Sam Houston. I have seen where some have said the New Yawkah is OSHA Approved and the Sammy isnt. however when I purchased mine the information that came with the helmet said it met both NFPA and OSHA Guidlines.

And as far as " Ripping the guts out" Of the sammy to make it sit lower. Would this interfere with the helmets ability to protect My melon?

And one more question.. ( Yeah I know Im getting annoying) What are some of the best ways to shape the helmet besides letting Old Man Fire do it for me?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkullKrusher2010 View Post
    It lets the helmet sit lower on your head in a more positive way. Just snip away at the back of the pad.. easy enough and takes about 30 seconds.

If you don't like it, the fire store sells a replacement pad. Look in "replacement parts" section of the Cairns helmet section.
    Wow. I gotta start trusting you guys. Taking that pad out made a tremendous difference. Fantastic. Thanks.
    "It's a living thing brian..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I have an N6A and and N5A. My N5 is my "work lid"... I'm giving my son my
    N6A when he graduates from the Academy in March.
    Here's the work lid...

My last N6 Rehab.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rescue101; 02-19-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    My last N6 Rehab.
    Mr. Stella did a wonderful job on that shield!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Ive always wondered. What is the major diffrences between the leathers I see some swear by the New Yawkah. Some swear by the Paul Conway, Alot of the Lexington Fire guys I work with swear by the Sam Houston. I have seen where some have said the New Yawkah is OSHA Approved and the Sammy isnt. however when I purchased mine the information that came with the helmet said it met both NFPA and OSHA Guidlines.

And as far as " Ripping the guts out" Of the sammy to make it sit lower. Would this interfere with the helmets ability to protect My melon?

And one more question.. ( Yeah I know Im getting annoying) What are some of the best ways to shape the helmet besides letting Old Man Fire do it for me?
    The New Yorker is OSHA, the Sam Houston is NFPA (With the goggles attached). Otherwise, there isn't much difference between the two. The Houston has a plastic impact cap inside, which helps bring it up to the NFPA reqs. The Conway is fiberglass covered with leather, which is sewn. It looks and feels pretty much the same, but it doesn't change shape. I've gotten my Houston pretty hot, and it drooped and curled on me, the Conway however, doesn't do that.

I find the fit of the Conway more comfortable for my head, but I think they are both awesome helmets. If you want a "leather" get the New Yorker/Sam Houston, if you like the fit of the plastic Conway (which I always have) but want something better looking and more "prestigious" or whatever, get the Conway Heritage. Only reason I bought the Conway that has ultimately replaced my Houston is because I found one on Craigslist for $150. They are both great helmets, I have always had guys ask about both of them.

So far as reshaping them, Conway is a no go, I think you'd melt it before you shaped it. The Cairns is easy, just get it hot, wear gloves and bend it. Better to do it after fire though, I don't see how baking it in the oven to get it that hot would be a good idea.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Mr. Stella did a wonderful job on that shield!
    Like ALL his work. I sent in a rough sketch and let him loose. The results EXCEEDED my expectations,T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkullKrusher2010 View Post

Totally agree made my Sammy 100 times more comfortable
    Whos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I will be the dissenting voice.

Unless they allow the use of the original, non-skull cap version of the N5A, count me out. That original N5A I had was an absolute tank of a helmet. I used it for line firefighting, instructing in the burn room, and everything else firefighting related.

My N6A was a piece of junk. It fell apart in 5 years, had the shell replaced under warranty and it fell apart too.

No thanks. I have a Chieftan traditional that I have been using for several years that shows no signs of damage. I also have a Morning Pride Ben 2 that I have been using as a tech college instructor for several years and it has no signs of damage either.

But, I am not telling you not to but a leather if you have the money laying around. Enjoy it, it's just not my cup of tea any longer.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I am still loving the sammy every time I put it on. I swear to Jesus if I could just grow a handle bar mustache I would run this town! haha
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I will be the dissenting voice.

Unless they allow the use of the original, non-skull cap version of the N5A, count me out. That original N5A I had was an absolute tank of a helmet. I used it for line firefighting, instructing in the burn room, and everything else firefighting related.

My N6A was a piece of junk. It fell apart in 5 years, had the shell replaced under warranty and it fell apart too.

No thanks. I have a Chieftan traditional that I have been using for several years that shows no signs of damage. I also have a Morning Pride Ben 2 that I have been using as a tech college instructor for several years and it has no signs of damage either.

But, I am not telling you not to but a leather if you have the money laying around. Enjoy it, it's just not my cup of tea any longer.
    Please explain what you mean that "the helmet wore out" .. What caused the issues? Did the stitching come out or what?.. Did you use it as a hammer or something? Break concrete up with it? My N6A seems like a friggin tank to me..
    Last edited by SkullKrusher2010; 02-20-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

I am still loving the sammy every time I put it on. I swear to Jesus if I could just grow a handle bar mustache I would run this town! haha
    I wear a, 17 year old New Yorker, impact cap, pre ratchet. It has been through hell. It has never failed me. I dont give a rats *** about what NFPA says in regards to 10 years of service life. I will not give up this lid for anything.

Rip out the pad - it won't interfere with protection, in fact, I do not even think these helmets NEED an impact cap. Never in my 20 years have I taken a hit and said. "Man...am I thankful for that chunck of foam up there!" A New Yorker will protect you regardless.

To change the shape of the brim - which I hope EVERYONE who buys a newly manufactured leather does - the factory bends and shape are AWFUL...FRIGGIN' AWFULL!

Take the helmet and hold it over a big pot of boiling water, right in the steam. After a while it will become quite pliable for a bit.

And I agree about the 'stache.....37 years old and I am still awaiting mine!

I also collect helmets so I have a few.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Thread Information