Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    I have pictures from the base at Norfolk...lol...my Dad kept telling me to stop taking pictures of the ships before we got in trouble haha.....should go see where they are.....
    If you are into Navy ships and will be in the Norfolk area, how would you like to go aboard the (ex) USS Zuni ATF-95? She is a 205' Fleet Oceangoing Tug, which is currently being restored (myself and my father are both founding members of the restoration/museum group.) In 1946, she was turned over to the USCG, where they changed her name to something you might recognize- The USCGC TAMAROA, WMEC-166. Was made famous by real-life events depicted in the movie The Perfect Storm.

While the ship is not open to the general public at this time, I can make some phone calls and get a firefighter friend a tour from the bilge all the way up to the wheelhouse. Let me know if you are interested.

http://www.zunitamaroa.org/
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

that would be AWESOME FWD......one question though - can you check if it would be possible to bring someone (Dad) with me? He is actually in the USCG Aux. although right now he isn't too active.....

Forum Member

that would be AWESOME FWD......one question though - can you check if it would be possible to bring someone (Dad) with me? He is actually in the USCG Aux. although right now he isn't too active.....
    Absolutely, especially for the USCG Aux Member. Both of you should wear clothing that can get dirty, warm as it gets pretty chilly below the water line this time of year, and sturdy shoes. Be prepared to climb some steep ladders (steps.) I need a date from you and a general time frame (morning, afternoon....)

Forum Member

Cool!...I will send you a PM with possible dates - my brother and nephew are flying in for the weekend too - so not sure what our plans will be for each day.....THANKS! My step-mom said my Dad would LOVE this!

Forum Member

Other than telling you stay in I-81 and then I-64to stay away from the garden state, once you get in the Tidewater area plan to go to Norfolk's and take this harbor cruise.

http://www.navalbasecruises.com/

Also you can visit the USS Wisconsin and other great sites.

Pay no attention to fruit loops. He is just a school kid in Williamsburg/James City County and unless he is with an adult he doesn't venture across the James River.

I'll drop you a pm on this as well. Your pm file is full!!
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 02-28-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

CoT - I've cleaned out my PM box, you can resend!

Forum Member

CoT - I've cleaned out my PM box, you can resend!

Sent again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Also you can visit the USS Wisconsin and other great sites.
    If the Zuni/Tamaroa is where I think it is, she is tied up at the pier next to the Wisconsin. (I have not been aboard her in over a year, at which time she was still inside NAB Little Creek.)

Forum Member

I think she is across the Elisabeth River, in Portsmouth, VA.

http://www.zunitamaroa.org/

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Other than telling you stay in I-81 and then I-64to stay away from the garden state, once you get in the Tidewater area plan to go to Norfolk's and take this harbor cruise.
    Yeah - I was going to suggest I-88 to I-81 to I-64, unless you want to run down US17 from Winchester to Fredricksburg, where you'll hit the other NASCAR track - I-95, and thence onto I-64.

Last time I went down I-81 in PA it was mostly clear sailing, except for that one-lane stretch southbound between Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton.

Another option is to take I-83 south out of Harrisburg, then pick up I-95 south of Baltimore. That means putting up with the Capital Beltway, however, and that's often a zoo, depending on what time you hit it.

If you really want to get adventuous, go to Balto, take I-97 to US301, which will take you to Richmond, where you can pick up I-64....

Enjoy your trip!
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Pasobuff:

I called the Director of Operations of the Zuni/Tamaroa this morning. Unfortunately it does not look like they will be able to accomodate you this weekend, as they will be moving the ship from it's current location to another location tomorrow. It is unknown what the conditions for access will be like once they reach the new location. They will not accept visitors unless the brow is able to be dropped onto a solid pier, and they dont know exactly where they will be at the new location, not to mention they may not be able to access the ship on weekends. I was asked to pass on regrets from the foundation as they hate to turn down visitors, especially ex-Coasties and Navy personnel. Please keep the ship in mind the next time you are in the area.

As for me, when/if you will be passing through, if you want to meet up if the time is mutual for both of us lets do it. I will probably be busy Friday and Saturday with funeral stuff for a friend who passed suddenly yesterday. But gimme an idea of when/if you'll be passing through and mebbe we can arrange something.

Forum Member

http://www.zunitamaroa.org/gallery27/index.html

Some pics of me with a Naval JROTC class aboard the Zuni/Tamaroa, doing some damage control/firefighting training back in the spring of 2002. I am the tall buff looking dude with the high and tight haircut, sunglasses, and navy blue uniform.

Somewhere else in the picture galleries are some shots of myself and my father doing some repair work on one of the fire pumps, and some shots of me preparing dinner one night for the crew out on the steel beach.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by notfruitybutloopy View Post
    Never said Williamsburg wasn't bad. Gang violence is so through the roof here as well as drug use and teen suicide, there's too much of a gap here, it's either really old rich folks with nothing to do or us high school kids with rich mommies and daddies that'll bail us out at the first sign of trouble, and then of course the cops that roll lights and sirens into the KFC drive thru to get their free chicken. : (

Granted that may be true, but I've only been to the more lower class areas of Norfolk because that's where the hobby shops and smaller more bargin shops are, but I would not be caught out at night in either Norfolk or Newport News. And I think you would agree too.

Why do you think Washington got the heck out of there? He was probobly sitting there thinking "Oh my god Jersey sucks, I need to save my men from this terrible torture, we must leave immediatly." So he got together all his troops and boats and crossed the Delaware, and just happened to find the Hessians, so seeing a moment of oppertunity, Washington killed and captured them, and had a wonderful Christmas, all to get out of New Jersey.

Communicate about something you know about. Something like after school activities with the boys and maybe girls!

I've been all over Norfolk and your burg as well and other cities in thet area, never did I have any problems. Maybe it was because of my size and knowledge of the area and the streets and not looking like a lackey.

Forum Member

Trip is getting closer! Now trying to figure out how to get blasted fence posts in the frozen ground so I can move the horses for the week (husband will NOT feed them! lol).....

My 2 hour 'detour' to Seacaucus got changed too....to a 1 hour phone interview - so my travel will take me down toward Hagerstown.....I'll be sending some PM's this week to firm up plans!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And.......

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post

if you really want to get adventuous, go to balto, take i-97 to us301, which will take you right past harve's farm,then on to richmond, where you can pick up i-64....

Enjoy your trip!
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

hmmmm...mapquest, here I come!!!!!

Forum Member

well - hadn't realized IKEA was right off 495/95...will be making a stop there this afternoon to do a bit of shopping.....last night a few of us from my meeting went out to eat - oh - and get ready for some video from the zoo tour!

Forum Member

Progress report!
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

just moved next to colonial williamsburg about five minutes from busch gardens. The JCC APAT is this saturday. Also check out the visitors center, they have costumes you can rent to look like your from the colonial period.
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

Forum Member

6Duron - I'm about 5 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg - 10 from Busch Gardens right now!!!!!.....

OK - for the update.....today was BEAUTIFUL.....almost 80 degrees, got a sunburn, spent most of the day at Busch Gardens riding roller coasters.....then to my Dad's for a visit and dinner - then to Norfolk to get baby brother from the airport - then back to Williamsburg.....stopped at Hooters for some fried pickles and cheese covered tater tots (and BEER).....now sitting in the condo having a couple beers while watching some tv.....

MembersZone Subscriber

6Duron - I'm about 5 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg - 10 from Busch Gardens right now!!!!!.....

OK - for the update.....today was BEAUTIFUL.....almost 80 degrees, got a sunburn, spent most of the day at Busch Gardens riding roller coasters.....then to my Dad's for a visit and dinner - then to Norfolk to get baby brother from the airport - then back to Williamsburg.....stopped at Hooters for some fried pickles and cheese covered tater tots (and BEER).....now sitting in the condo having a couple beers while watching some tv.....

I hate ORF. The traffic pattern sucks.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Hope you are having a great time. Thanks for spending you vacation in my town and helping to keep my taxes low! Pay no attention to the fruit kid he hasn't got a clue.

Plenty to see and do keep your better half out of the outlets, your billfold will thank you.

Piercies bbq is a great resturant to eat at, alittle off the beaten path but good food.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by notfruitybutloopy View Post
    Never said Williamsburg wasn't bad. Gang violence is so through the roof here as well as drug use and teen suicide, there's too much of a gap here, it's either really old rich folks with nothing to do or us high school kids with rich mommies and daddies that'll bail us out at the first sign of trouble, and then of course the cops that roll lights and sirens into the KFC drive thru to get their free chicken. : (
    What are you talking about kid. Have you ever been out of the burg and seen what a real gang infested area is?

I guess since I am not old and rich (yet) or a high school kid with rich parents I am not actually sitting in my living room in James City.

Go Back to the kids table and be quiet the grown ups are talking.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    Hope you are having a great time. Thanks for spending you vacation in my town and helping to keep my taxes low! Pay no attention to the fruit kid he hasn't got a clue.

Plenty to see and do keep your better half out of the outlets, your billfold will thank you.

Piercies bbq is a great resturant to eat at, alittle off the beaten path but good food.
    Thanks RFD...gee - if I had known you were close I'd have set up a station tour or something!.....

Had a good time, did a bit of shopping (my 'other' half hates shopping! lol)....but not at the outlets - Williamsburg Antique Mall has some of my hard earned cash, but I'm already making most of that back on ebay!.....

We ended up at Kyoto for dinner one night - had AWESOME sushi - and complimented the chef/owner by asking him to fix us HIS favorite....think my brother went back a second time.....

I'll have to keep Piercies in mind for next time - I'd rather go off the beaten path than the chain places.....

Forum Member

Thanks RFD...gee - if I had known you were close I'd have set up a station tour or something!.....

Had a good time, did a bit of shopping (my 'other' half hates shopping! lol)....but not at the outlets - Williamsburg Antique Mall has some of my hard earned cash, but I'm already making most of that back on ebay!.....

We ended up at Kyoto for dinner one night - had AWESOME sushi - and complimented the chef/owner by asking him to fix us HIS favorite....think my brother went back a second time.....

I'll have to keep Piercies in mind for next time - I'd rather go off the beaten path than the chain places.....

Did you eat at Captain Georges???

Huh??

Thread Information