Thread: Tuscon

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tuscon

how has this not posted?

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/tuc...l-differences/

How do you not respond to a call 1-2 hours later?

Forum Member

There's a 5 page thread going on at FF Nation on this topic.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Back In Black

Dispicable. How this even enters your mind when responding is beyond me.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ogomez View Post
    how has this not posted?

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/tuc...l-differences/

How do you not respond to a call 1-2 hours later?
    How do you not respond to a call at any time, forget about one or two hours. Oh well, he retired right after this, so not much of a story, to me anyway.
    Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

Forum Member

At some point in time this moron forgot about the oath he took when he was hired.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

I just thought of something. It seems there might be more to the story. Being called an hour after the incident and no victims were left to assist, why were they called? Is it possible they were called so they could look good for a press conference? If so, I can kind of understand his point.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    I just thought of something. It seems there might be more to the story. Being called an hour after the incident and no victims were left to assist, why were they called? Is it possible they were called so they could look good for a press conference? If so, I can kind of understand his point.
    I can't. If you are on the clock and ordered to respond. You respond.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefkn View Post
    i can't. If you are on the clock and ordered to respond. You respond.
    this.. 1000%

Forum Member

1) when you respond, you respond
    2) To answer your question...I'd bet it was for washdown. I'd hope no chief officer would make the same companies that just dealt with a EXTREMELY significant MCI like that would also make that same company sit around, wait for hours for everything to be settled, and do the washdown.

Forum Member

I understand what everyone is saying as respond 100% and even with my earlier statement I agree with you but it seems there is more to the story. I do not trust a journalists article about stories like this. I believe there is more there to be told.

Forum Member

It was reported he was part of a special team that was trained to respond to mass casualty incidents. I can't find the article that stated that but I think their mission was to give support to people who were still on scene (setting up tents, providing support to those who weren't seriously injured, etc).

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry, I can't even begin to understand his point, or rather lack thereof.

From USA Today,

"Ekstrum's crew had been dispatched at 12:03 p.m., seven minutes after the last patient arrived at the hospital, said Joe Gulotta, an assistant fire chief. The team was responding as a support crew with a large delivery truck with tents, medical supplies, water and cots used to assist those who were not seriously injured."

Sounds like an appropiate response for what is surely going to be a long term scene, but it is still not up to the firefighter to pick and choose his calls.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...tm?csp=usat.me

"But the Star said Ekstrum gave a statement Wednesday to the Fire Department saying he was distraught over the shootings and was "distracted to the point of not being able to perform my routine station duties to such an extent that I seriously doubted my ability to focus on an emergency call."

Huh? And you are in what kind of work?

Forum Member

OK now the above two posts bring more perspective to me about what the crew was being called out for. The original posting had none of this information. I do not like assuming something.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Sorry, I can't even begin to understand his point, or rather lack thereof.

From USA Today,

"Ekstrum's crew had been dispatched at 12:03 p.m., seven minutes after the last patient arrived at the hospital, said Joe Gulotta, an assistant fire chief. The team was responding as a support crew with a large delivery truck with tents, medical supplies, water and cots used to assist those who were not seriously injured."

Sounds like an appropiate response for what is surely going to be a long term scene, but it is still not up to the firefighter to pick and choose his calls.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...tm?csp=usat.me

"But the Star said Ekstrum gave a statement Wednesday to the Fire Department saying he was distraught over the shootings and was "distracted to the point of not being able to perform my routine station duties to such an extent that I seriously doubted my ability to focus on an emergency call."

Huh? And you are in what kind of work?
    Thanks for the info, I stand corrected.

Thread Information