MembersZone Subscriber

Default What do the bros think will be the best degree for the future???

I have an assoc in Fire Science but I am not too sure I want to pursue the Bach in the same. The degree most likely will not benefit me here in Detroit do to our system but I am thinking about my distant future (Like if I retire at 20 years and want to take my experience and education somewhere warm!!!). Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate it fellas!

Stay safe out there

Forum Member

Hi Detroit-

I think you should pursue the Bachelor's Degree in subject matter that most interests you. If you've got the associates and a badge, you're good for everything up to Captain in most municipalities within the fire service. If you want to do fire/emergency related stuff that doesn't necessarily mean fire chief, you can go for an Emergency Management degree. If you're interests lay elsewhere, say business...Go do that brother! You know you've got a great life now...just do what feels like it will make it better.

Best,

Paul C.
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Forum Member

agree something that you can use now and in the future

what about nursing??? pays good and you can use it in a lot of states

Forum Member

Thanks Paul for your advice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks a lot Paul I am looking into something along those lines. I may want another job in the future that still involves the fire service so Im going to research that a little more

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    agree something that you can use now and in the future

what about nursing??? pays good and you can use it in a lot of states

That's probably going to be the route I go after I finish my current degrees.

I'll be graduating next May with a Bachelor's in Fire Science and a Bachelor's in National Security. If I don't get a job by then, I'm going to continue onto the Nursing program at my school (hopefully) and do the accelerated program to get my RN.

Plus, it'll be something you can use while on the job. Per diem nurses make in the $30-$40 / hour range, which would be nice to do on your days off.

Forum Member

After 20 years, your experience will far outweight the education. Especially when a 20-year old education will be near obsolete. Something like business/education will help you, for example, if you want to open up a school on how to be successful fire candidate

Forum Member

One thing to consider is having a backup degree in a nonrelated field. Mine is in business management with a minor in marketing. I did this because if i ever get hurt firefighting and have to find a desk job, this is a pretty broad degree. My next goal is to get a masters, I'm just not sure what yet. Just my 2 cents, something to think about.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Since you already have an AS degree, the best way forward would be to put that to use before making further academic pursuits. But since options are limited in your field where you stay, getting another degree for a backup career is not a bad idea. I would suggest something in healthcare as the industry is abuzz with jobs right now. The most natural choice would be nursing and if thatís an area youíd like to explore, start by browsing through the details of the Associate degree in Nursing Education at Stevens-Henager College.

Thread Information