Forum Member

Default Plastic/Rubber Mallets

Wondering if anyone uses specific mallet types for tightening rocker handles for drafting. We used a zephyr spanhammer for years, but recently the caps broke on both. Looking to change to another mallet for our new engine. Input? How does a deadblow mallet work? Rubber? etc...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CCCFire09 View Post
    Wondering if anyone uses specific mallet types for tightening rocker handles for drafting. We used a zephyr spanhammer for years, but recently the caps broke on both. Looking to change to another mallet for our new engine. Input? How does a deadblow mallet work? Rubber? etc...
    Get a Snap-On plastic dead-blow mallet. Trust me, pay the extra bucks and get the Snap-on. If and WHEN you do break it, exchange it no questions asked. (yes it's what we use.)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Talking

The dead blow hammer was invented by a company on the East side of indianapolis called Compocast. nice family owned business.

They were bought out by Stanley tools back in the mid 80's They make all the deadblows on the market with a proprietary molding process and sell them to Snap-on , Mac tools , Matco tools , Sears and many others by changing the name imprint on the mold.

I have in my personal collection everything from a 2 oz up to 14 lb sledge in ballpein and urethane faced. They will get the job done and not damage the chrome plating. Also good on a stuck hydrant cap.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can get new caps for them. I dont rember where I got them, just had to replace one.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use dead blow hammers as well. Used rubber mallets years ago and hated them.

Back In Black

We have used rubber mallets since before they were invented. Work fine, never had an issue.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sklump View Post
    You can get new caps for them. I don't rember where I got them, just had to replace one.
    I know where to get them, but the company is not responding to e-mails, and their website lists that they are 12 weeks behind.

Sounds like we are getting a deadblow.

MembersZone Subscriber

Try a Google search for "NUPLA DEAD BLOW HAMMER"

Available in a couple of sizes - ~ $25.00 and so far, indestructable.

Can be found at Sears, Amazon, Grainger etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

We to use dead-blow mallets. We have not had any issues. If your looking to purchase try Graingers, McMaster-carr, or any good supplier.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    We have used rubber mallets since before they were invented. Work fine, never had an issue.

We also did as well. Usually if you kept the face of the male thread surface smooth and used a good gasket, a fireman could used his arms muscles to get a good tight seal on the hard sleeve couplings.

Very seldom did I ever use a mallet on a wing lug when I was a driver.

Now days, everyone want to beat the crap out of the wing lugs and ruin the gaskets.

When I coupled two sections of hand line hose with my hands, you didn't need a spanner to check it up. But you need one to loosen the connection!
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 02-22-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

always used the rubber mallets. nothing fancy and they have held up for years

MembersZone Subscriber

alot of rural depts use bowling pins.... no joke, they work well.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    We also did as well. Usually if you kept the face of the male thread surface smooth and used a good gasket, a fireman could used his arms muscles to get a good tight seal on the hard sleeve couplings.

Very seldom did I ever use a mallet on a wing lug when I was a driver.

Now days, everyone want to beat the crap out of the wing lugs and ruin the gaskets.

When I coupled two sections of hand line hose with my hands, you didn't need a spanner to check it up. But you need one to loosen the connection!
    I would have to agree. We now carry spare gaskets because of some mutual aide companies' insistense on crushing them by using a mallet. We have never had an issue when we hand tightened a suction trying to pull prime. That is other than when we had a bad gasket.

There have been many times when we had to use a rubber mallet to remove the suction after use, but we do not want them used to set up.

Forum Member

we are now all Dead Blow all the time ................
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

How about the good old bowling pin????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I know where the bowling pins are made. I might be able to get blemish or second quality pins.
    Fyrtrks

MembersZone Subscriber

I look like a bowling pin...does that count?

Real men do not use hammers to tighten up...they use hammers to loosen up...

I use a freakin big dead blow...
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    I know where the bowling pins are made. I might be able to get blemish or second quality pins.
    We still have some bowling pins floating around. I like them better than any mallet I've used, but we've never bought a dead blow...

Plus, you can throw the pin into the porta tank to help break up the little vortices that draw air into the strainer as it floats on the surface.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    We still have some bowling pins floating around. I like them better than any mallet I've used, but we've never bought a dead blow...

Plus, you can throw the pin into the porta tank to help break up the little vortices that draw air into the strainer as it floats on the surface.
    I thought that's what the probies were for ! :-}

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

We also carry the bowling pins on our older engines. Rarely have I ever had to use a hammer/dead blow/ bowling pin.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I thought that's what the probies were for ! :-}
    I miss the days of tossing them in. May have to bring that tradition back...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Haha " hey probie! get that bowling pin off the truck!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya use the bowling pin to knock the probie into the port-a-pond for the vortices-duh.
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Forum Member

alot of rural depts use bowling pins.... no joke, they work well.
    This is one of those traditions the that we have used for years, and we're not rural. They do work well and they're cheap. We get spent pins from the local alley for nothing.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Zephyr Industries is offering the Span-Hammer again- The company briefly closed down before it was purchased by its new owners- Here is a link for the hammer-

http://zephyrindustries.com/collecti...hyr-industries

Name:  DSC_0110-2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  13.4 KB

Thread Information