Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Captain Bob, gold package program reviews?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulC. View Post
    Hi Guys-

Capt. Bob's stuff is good, and I also used it several years ago. I've read Chief Lepore's Oral Board Guide and there's some good stuff in there also. I have a free written exam pretest and a list of commonly asked Oral Board questions you can get for free on my blog. As far as the Oral Board...that's where the job is earned. The first line of questioning is usually "Tell us about yourself". I've got an article on there called "Everything you've done..." and it helps with that question. Its one of the first articles I posted because it really sets the tone for the rest of the board.

Hope this helps,

Paul C.
    Thanks for all the advice guys, looing forward to getting the book and program. Paul, where can I find the pretest and the article?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmillner81 View Post
    I would invest in this book. Don't think that this will make the process easy. Using this program requires time and work. It is 100% worth your time and money.
    I used the advice he gave and applied it to the oral interview when I was applying to paramedic school. I went up against 140 people for 10 spots. Sure enough, they asked the same questions "Why do you want to be a paramedic?" "What would you do if you caught your co-worker taking drugs out of the drug box?"
    As far as the haters go, don't listen to them. They have at least 200 excuses why they can't get hired, when the real reason they can't get hired is there attitude and lack of motivation. They give excuses "This department isn't hiring" "You have to know someone to get on" to others in hopes that others will be unmotivated and drop out of the process. This way, they have less competition.

- Mark
    It definitely won't make the process easy as I don't think anythign will, but I think it'll give me a way to channel all my work and effort in a better way. I interviewed once before for a volunteer position and totally bombed it going only against 135 people for 25 positions. This time around I'm going to be ready by applying myself in every way possible, and belive me I have the motivation and desire to fuel some serious damage! With 2 big city departments testing this year I could not be more excited at the possibility of a badge this year. Thanks for all the help with deciding on Capt. Bob's program.

Just FYI I'm 23 years old, white male. Originally from Russia so I speak Russian fluently as well as English. Have a clean criminal record and my last traffic ticket was about 5 years ago.

Forum Member

Well, I think it ended up being my fault and ordering with the wrong place.....

So the money got back on my card today, and I gave Capt. Bob a call and he picked up we had a nice chat and helping me get everything in order... One cool cool guy.

I hope to get the books soon so I can get my but in gear.

http://www.eatstress.com/

-coloradodave
    Last edited by ColoradoDave; 03-04-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Just a little more info, 2 of my CD's had broke (I have been listening to them to much I guess) I emailed Capt Bob with in 30 min he had emailed me back and he would help me out. There are not many places you can get service like this. I highly recommend him.

-Codave

Forum Member

I have the program as well and I'm kind of kicking myself for buying it. Not because I don't think it worked, but once you get the book and if you regularly check this website and read through a lot of the postings from others on here trying to get information on oral board techniques. Capt. Bob literally posts whole sections of the book on here, along with the information on the website! Granted, there is obviously more info in the books and the DVD was really helpful too. If you like what you see from the stuff on here and on his website, you'll like what you get with the package. I did learn a lot of stuff from reading through it and it was really helpful. As for the haters on here, they're all a joke and are definitely someone that you do not ever want to take advice from. If someone can bash someone for trying to help strangers get into a dream career, then they're definitely not someone I want to associate with or take advice from. So, he's marketing his products? Who cares! A lot of the information is gold and is defnitely worth the investment in yourself for getting that dream career.

Forum Member

I got Capt. Bob's gold package and listened to it every day and used a voice recorder and after 5 interviews this year im sitting #3 on my dream departments list. Everything that he says in the CD's I applied and it worked.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cbar84 View Post
    I got Capt. Bob's gold package and listened to it every day and used a voice recorder and after 5 interviews this year im sitting #3 on my dream departments list. Everything that he says in the CD's I applied and it worked.
    Nice man i will be there soon!

Forum Member

Yes you will just keep at it and put your nose to the grind stone.

KTF
    Forum Member

Yes it works but you also gotta do your part and work on your oral board skills DAILY. Most people I know workout more than practice oral boards which will make you a buff clone. Marry your tape recorder.

KTF
    Forum Member

Also capt. Bob has excellent customer service, he wrote me back after every email promptly and was always helpful.

Default Captain Bob

I've always had a great response from Captain Bob.....even sent me material when he found out I was taking the Chiefs exam...gratis. For that I will forever be thankful.....and he has great info.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Default I've Used

I've used Capt. Bob's material and highly recommend it.

Short sightedness will never pay off. I bought his program, and several other books, and got a couple of chief officers I know as acquaintances to help me out interviewing. I live 40 miles from the station and didn't want to be late for testing for any reason so I stayed in a nearby hotel for 2 nights to eliminate driving and family distractions. Why tell you all this? Because several co-workers laughed at me because I was "overdoing it". I was obsessing.

I placed # 1 on the test out of 8. It's a small department with very few promotions. 2 of us got promoted within 2 months of the test. I then qualified for a BC test and promotion 7 months later. #1 again. If I had not placed in the top 2 I would not have qualified for the BC test 7 months later. I probably never would have gotten the opportunity.

I didn't place #1 because I'm smart, it's because I didn't let anything get in the way. Take NO shortcuts.

Forum Member

I bought the Gold Package about 6 months ago right before my first oral EVER. I wish I gave myself more time to prepare, but Capt. Bob's book really helped. I didn't feel to confident after the oral, but I did well enough to pass. When I had my Chief's interview I had plenty of time to read the entire book and listen to the CD's. I was well prepared and felt like I Aced the interview thanks to Capt. Bobs program. No joke, I received the job offer for my dream dept and I start the academy next week. This was my first oral I have ever taken and I got the job. I can't stress enough how much Capt. Bob's program worked. The investment is well worth it. I have my career set in the Fire Dept. thanks to Capt. Bob.

Forum Member

Get it!!! I used it for my first interview and also did the over the phone prep with his son. My first interview I scored a 99% and placed me on the hiring list for a major department. Highly recommended.

Forum Member

Default Best investment I have ever made...I am proof the program works!

5 years ago Rob helped me with a lateral interview and I was awarded the job. Capt. Bob helped me prepare for a recent promotional interview and the experience was priceless. I think I spent 40-50 hours with my tape recorder. I practiced for every question I could think of. I was relaxed, I was calm, I was myself. I knew all the key things about me I wanted to express. Even though the questions were phrased differently or out of order, when I walked away I knew I had covered everything I wanted to, and I kept it simple, which for me is not easy to do! When they asked me a question that I had a perfectly practiced (not canned) answer for, my enthusiasm grew throughout the interview. I even caught them nodding their heads as they took notes. I got the call, the chief told me he was impressed with my interview. Even though I was sitting #2 on the list, I was awarded the 1 and only captian position off this list which is set to expire. I will forever be grateful for Capt. Bob and Rob's guidance. What they do is truly remarkable. I am telling every person I know to come to them. They have helped me earn not 1 but 2 badges!!!

Forum Member

The reason I am sharing this is because I want to compete against the best and work with the best. EVERYONE should have this program because it provides an even and level playing field. I believe 100% in Captain Bob's program.

Hi Captain Bob,

I wish I had found your program sooner. I truly believe that your
    program has provided the missing link. The missing link for me being
    perspective. I now live in "Fantasy Land." I was a big, bad
    Washington D.C. Firefighter that has since moved out west with my
    wife. I could not close the deal on the oral interview with
    departments out here. I am a changed man after listening to your
    program. Again, I wish I had known about it when I tested for Seattle.
    I made the final list, but I am sitting mid-three hundreds. I have
    always touted that firefighters are professional communicators,
    problem solvers, and athletes. Your program has made me a better
    communicator.

Thank you
    Last edited by ponyboy1; 04-26-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Forum Member

I recommend Captain Bob to anyone preparing for a promotional test. I actually was searching the internet for example interview questions when Captain Bob's website (firefighters oral board interviews, fire department job interviews, fireman oral board interviews) appeared in the search results. I just wish I would have found the website earlier. I had already completed the written test and assessment center prior to meeting Captain Bob. I was three days from my interview and thought I was somewhat prepared. I was completely wrong! Captain Bob emailed me the information he wanted me to review and told me he would call me back the following day. The following day he contacted me and we spent nearly an hour on the phone for a coaching session. He then gave me an additional homework assignment and said he would call me the next day. I followed his instructions and he called me back the following night for an additional one hour coaching session. I can't thank Captain Bob enough for his willingness to help me last minute. Captain Bob at one point asked, "How long have we known each other 48 hours?" I responded, " Yes sir, and it's 48 hours that I owe you for the rest of my life!". I truly can't say enough about how great Captain Bob was and how willing he is to share his knowlege and experience with those that follow him in the fire service. I am thrilled to say with Captain Bob's help I finished #1 on the promotional test and without his help, I wouldn't have finished where I did. I hope everyone that is going through a promotional process in the future calls Captain Bob.

Brett, Ohio FF

Forum Member

Instead of starting another post I figured I would add this here.

I took my first oral about 3 years ago, I went in cold and gave it a shot. I got the call I made it past the testing and became a Reserve Firefighter. I got to talk to 2 guys that sat on the panel later in the year and they told me how god awful I did! They said I was the best of the worst in the oral but my scores in the other parts of testing got me hired.

Fast forward to November 2011 I took A test and passed and got the call for a oral. I was so pumped and I knew I had get my *** in gear, I played Capt. Bob's CD's over and over, I typed out my answers to the 30 oral board questions and I sat down with my phone and recorded my silly self talking over and over. I would play it back and listing for the "ummm" and "ahhhhh?" tuning it up over time. I called and e-mailed Capt Bob with questions I would have and we finally set up a one on one. He talked with me for close to 2 hours. I went in to that oral confident and ready for anything, the butterfly's in my stomach where all flying in the same direction.

The long and short of it was I passed, I was #16. It wasn't enough to make it into the first academy But I would be placed on a list. Well today I got the call that I have been waiting for. I got picked up for an amazing department, and I couldn't be more excited to start this part of the process. I know this is when the real work starts with the academy and its not going to be easy at all but I am ready to give it hell.

-Dave #2,716
    FireMuscleMan21 likes this.

Forum Member

Default Captain Bob's program is legit!

Captain Bob's program was a game changer for me. I had been testing for the past 3-4 years for a Firefighter/Paramedic position in the Seattle/Tacoma area of Washington State. Two years ago I was given four audio CD's of his materials from a friend who told me it would change everything about my oral boards. I was reluctant to try anything new because I thought that I would just get lucky one day but like Captain Bob says in the program, "Luck comes to the prepared!" Immediately after listening to his program and personalizing my answers, I began shooting to the top of multiple hiring lists and getting calls for Chief's orals. I then got stuck at that phase of the process finishing #2 four different times when only one position was being filled. Last year I went on my 36th oral board interview and about two weeks later, I got the call and was offered the position of Firefighter/Paramedic with an amazing Department. I can honestly say that without Captain Bob's program I would have remained a "clone" and probably washed out of the process long ago.

-Craig

Forum Member

Captain Bob's stuff is solid; don't expect any magic bullets. It's a tool in your testing toolbox, you will need to do your own due-dilligence, a lot of personal homework, and take a lot of action and back it up with some serious persistence.

I purchased all of his products, including the phone consultation. The consultation was good. Unless things have changed since I purchased it approximately five years ago, don't expect too much in the way of personalized advice. I compared my consultation tape (they send you a recording in the mail) and it was pretty much verbatim with the tapes of friends who purchased the same product. That being said, there was some very valuable information in the consult. I would purchase it again. Every little thing helps when you're trying to get hired.

Also, Bob is big on absolutism. If you've had a few speeding tickets or a few personal scrapes, you can expect a (negative) canned response regarding your hireability. Take it with a grain of salt. He pretty much told me I wasn't hireable (check my archives), when in fact I received multiple offers during my testing period and have enjoyed a successful career thus far. Paul Lepore is the same way. I think their opinions are a little subjective, en lieu of the fact they're both Californians (where the entrance standards are heavily influenced by Gordon Graham...i.e. no blemishes whatsoever).

I gleaned a lot of good information from Bob and Paul, and as I mentioned before...purchased all their products.

And Bob, if you're reading this...1996 called...it wants you to update your webpage!
    nwavant likes this.

Thread Information