Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Captain Bob, gold package program reviews?

Forum Member

Default Captain Bob, gold package program reviews?

Hi All,

Looking to see if anyone has experience with Capt. Bob's gold package program for become a firefighter and oral board interview prep. It is offered at half price right now and I was wondering if its worth it? Has anyone used it and had results? Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

I know Captain Bobs program helped me understand what being prepared for an interview really was.. theres 100's of books out there with 1000's of suggestions.. the one that worked for me and the 1 i will stand by is Captain Bobs. Nobody has broken it down and did it like he did.. A ton of people on here hate on him but hey.. To have a Hater , it means your doing something right!

Forum Member

FFmedicMiami, thanks for the input. I have noticed the haters on here as well, thats why I'm asked if maybe the whole is a load of BS and advertising. If it is actually the real deal I'd be willing to buy it.

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by FFMedicMiami View Post
    I know Captain Bobs program helped me understand what being prepared for an interview really was.. theres 100's of books out there with 1000's of suggestions.. the one that worked for me and the 1 i will stand by is Captain Bobs. Nobody has broken it down and did it like he did.. A ton of people on here hate on him but hey.. To have a Hater , it means your doing something right!
    I would second that...

The 1st dept I applied for, I got to the panel interview. Man, did I screw that up. I am now confident that the next interview I go through will be my last.

Forum Member

sachse1, do have any other of capt. bob's products? I was also looking at his book to prep for the written test.

I actually just ordered the gold package now, I figured $75 is not too bad for something that'l help me land a job for the rest of my life. Also, they have a return policy if you are not satisfied, so I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase.

Forum Member

The Gold Pkg is what I ordered. I went to a used book store to pick up a couple of civil service/ff entrance exam prep books. I also ordered Smoke Your Firefighter Written Exam by Lepore.

Forum Member

Thanks for the help. I'll check out the Lepore book, I heard good things about it.

Forum Member

Default Captain Bob

It's worth the price even if you paid full price. Very good program. Chief Lepores books are also a very good tool to have in your possession if you want to get hired.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Bought the program and placed #1 on my next 2 interviews. Actually got to choose between offers. Very highly recommended.
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I winged my first two interviews thinking they were no big deal and did awful. I found myself tripping over my words and using b.s. "clone" answers (as Capt. Bob calls them) for every question. I asked a friend who got hired recently for advice and he swore by this book.

I ordered the book online, and soon after the audio CD as well. I left it in my car and turned it on every time I had a long drive. I must have listened to it 100 times. The book was good as it lays everything out in writing, but the CD kept me motivated way more. Also, you can find most of the content of the book on his website or within the content of his posts here.

He may or may not be the best at what he does, and it may be worth checking out what the other interview pros have to offer. It worked for me however - I NAILED my last oral board, and walked out of there feeling like a million bucks. Out of over 3,000 applicants I made the top 24 and will be starting the academy next week!

I think I spent maybe $20-$30 for the book and about the same for the CD. Definitely less than I would have spent taking my girl out to dinner, and now have my dream job.

Thanks Captain Bob!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fallujahff View Post
    Bought the program and placed #1 on my next 2 interviews. Actually got to choose between offers. Very highly recommended.
    Nice, looking forward to getting the program. I have 2 tests for 2 large city departments coming up this year. Would be nice to get to choose between the two. What did you use to study for the written?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie3215 View Post
    I winged my first two interviews thinking they were no big deal and did awful. I found myself tripping over my words and using b.s. "clone" answers (as Capt. Bob calls them) for every question. I asked a friend who got hired recently for advice and he swore by this book.

I ordered the book online, and soon after the audio CD as well. I left it in my car and turned it on every time I had a long drive. I must have listened to it 100 times. The book was good as it lays everything out in writing, but the CD kept me motivated way more. Also, you can find most of the content of the book on his website or within the content of his posts here.

He may or may not be the best at what he does, and it may be worth checking out what the other interview pros have to offer. It worked for me however - I NAILED my last oral board, and walked out of there feeling like a million bucks. Out of over 3,000 applicants I made the top 24 and will be starting the academy next week!

I think I spent maybe $20-$30 for the book and about the same for the CD. Definitely less than I would have spent taking my girl out to dinner, and now have my dream job.

Thanks Captain Bob!
    Wow, congrats. Would love to be in your shoes, hopefully i will soon. What did you use to study for the written exam?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
    Wow, congrats. Would love to be in your shoes, hopefully i will soon. What did you use to study for the written exam?
    I fell back on my middle school education.

Honestly, I have only taken one test (out of probably 10-15) that I found remotely challenging. Most tests are written in such a way that a middle school student could pass the math and reading sections. The equalizer is usually a section on personality and inter-personal skills, with many of the questions having multiple (or no) right answers it seems.

Many tests now are pass/fail, so it doesn't matter whether you get a perfect score or barely make the cut. Every test is different too, but in my experience most departments will provide you with a study guide specific to their test.

While most written and physical agility tests are pass/fail, the interview is usually the only part of the process that is COMPETITIVE. All the more reason to get yourself squared away with a study program.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie3215 View Post
    I fell back on my middle school education.

Honestly, I have only taken one test (out of probably 10-15) that I found remotely challenging. Most tests are written in such a way that a middle school student could pass the math and reading sections. The equalizer is usually a section on personality and inter-personal skills, with many of the questions having multiple (or no) right answers it seems.

Many tests now are pass/fail, so it doesn't matter whether you get a perfect score or barely make the cut. Every test is different too, but in my experience most departments will provide you with a study guide specific to their test.

While most written and physical agility tests are pass/fail, the interview is usually the only part of the process that is COMPETITIVE. All the more reason to get yourself squared away with a study program.
    One department I'm testing for is having a written test with study guides, and the other is using Fireteam. Any advise on studying for the Fireteam video test? i've taken it once before so i get the idea of it, I have also taken the practice test.

I know that the interview is definitley the most important part, but getting an interview is equally important. Thats why I really want to prepare for the written in order to ensure an interview.

Forum Member

Well i went to buy this tonight.... they took the money out of my account but on the order page is said it didn't work....

i emailed them i hope to hear back soon.

-Colorado

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
    Well i went to buy this tonight.... they took the money out of my account but on the order page is said it didn't work....

i emailed them i hope to hear back soon.

-Colorado
    I ordered mine today too, went through fine. Capt. Bob emailed me himself to say thanks for ordering. I'm sure you'll get it straightened out.

Forum Member

Talking

I would invest in this book. Don't think that this will make the process easy. Using this program requires time and work. It is 100% worth your time and money.
    I used the advice he gave and applied it to the oral interview when I was applying to paramedic school. I went up against 140 people for 10 spots. Sure enough, they asked the same questions "Why do you want to be a paramedic?" "What would you do if you caught your co-worker taking drugs out of the drug box?"
    As far as the haters go, don't listen to them. They have at least 200 excuses why they can't get hired, when the real reason they can't get hired is there attitude and lack of motivation. They give excuses "This department isn't hiring" "You have to know someone to get on" to others in hopes that others will be unmotivated and drop out of the process. This way, they have less competition.

- Mark

Forum Member

I RECOMMEND CAPTAIN BOBS GOLD PACK

My first interview was BAD i was like wait what just happened NOW if i get to an interview THE BALL IS IN MY COURT!!!!!!!! Thats how i feel I SWEAR.... and the BEST PART he Teaches you how to use all YOUR OWN ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Encyclopedia of Firefighter Examinations is Good and i do recommend it BUT i also recommend McGraw-Hill's Firefighter Exams thats my favorite one....

Good Luck.....

Forum Member

well there are 2 charges on my card but i got a email back saying it was canceled.... I hope i can get this going. i would like to start studying.

-codave

Forum Member

Hi Guys-

Capt. Bob's stuff is good, and I also used it several years ago. I've read Chief Lepore's Oral Board Guide and there's some good stuff in there also. I have a free written exam pretest and a list of commonly asked Oral Board questions you can get for free on my blog. As far as the Oral Board...that's where the job is earned. The first line of questioning is usually "Tell us about yourself". I've got an article on there called "Everything you've done..." and it helps with that question. Its one of the first articles I posted because it really sets the tone for the rest of the board.

Hope this helps,

Paul C.
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulC. View Post
    Hi Guys-

Capt. Bob's stuff is good, and I also used it several years ago. I've read Chief Lepore's Oral Board Guide and there's some good stuff in there also. I have a free written exam pretest and a list of commonly asked Oral Board questions you can get for free on my blog. As far as the Oral Board...that's where the job is earned. The first line of questioning is usually "Tell us about yourself". I've got an article on there called "Everything you've done..." and it helps with that question. Its one of the first articles I posted because it really sets the tone for the rest of the board.

Hope this helps,

Paul C.
    Thanks for all the advice guys, looing forward to getting the book and program. Paul, where can I find the pretest and the article?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmillner81 View Post
    I would invest in this book. Don't think that this will make the process easy. Using this program requires time and work. It is 100% worth your time and money.
    I used the advice he gave and applied it to the oral interview when I was applying to paramedic school. I went up against 140 people for 10 spots. Sure enough, they asked the same questions "Why do you want to be a paramedic?" "What would you do if you caught your co-worker taking drugs out of the drug box?"
    As far as the haters go, don't listen to them. They have at least 200 excuses why they can't get hired, when the real reason they can't get hired is there attitude and lack of motivation. They give excuses "This department isn't hiring" "You have to know someone to get on" to others in hopes that others will be unmotivated and drop out of the process. This way, they have less competition.

- Mark
    It definitely won't make the process easy as I don't think anythign will, but I think it'll give me a way to channel all my work and effort in a better way. I interviewed once before for a volunteer position and totally bombed it going only against 135 people for 25 positions. This time around I'm going to be ready by applying myself in every way possible, and belive me I have the motivation and desire to fuel some serious damage! With 2 big city departments testing this year I could not be more excited at the possibility of a badge this year. Thanks for all the help with deciding on Capt. Bob's program.

Just FYI I'm 23 years old, white male. Originally from Russia so I speak Russian fluently as well as English. Have a clean criminal record and my last traffic ticket was about 5 years ago.

Forum Member

Well, I think it ended up being my fault and ordering with the wrong place.....

So the money got back on my card today, and I gave Capt. Bob a call and he picked up we had a nice chat and helping me get everything in order... One cool cool guy.

I hope to get the books soon so I can get my but in gear.

http://www.eatstress.com/

-coloradodave
    Last edited by ColoradoDave; 03-04-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Just a little more info, 2 of my CD's had broke (I have been listening to them to much I guess) I emailed Capt Bob with in 30 min he had emailed me back and he would help me out. There are not many places you can get service like this. I highly recommend him.

-Codave

Forum Member

I have the program as well and I'm kind of kicking myself for buying it. Not because I don't think it worked, but once you get the book and if you regularly check this website and read through a lot of the postings from others on here trying to get information on oral board techniques. Capt. Bob literally posts whole sections of the book on here, along with the information on the website! Granted, there is obviously more info in the books and the DVD was really helpful too. If you like what you see from the stuff on here and on his website, you'll like what you get with the package. I did learn a lot of stuff from reading through it and it was really helpful. As for the haters on here, they're all a joke and are definitely someone that you do not ever want to take advice from. If someone can bash someone for trying to help strangers get into a dream career, then they're definitely not someone I want to associate with or take advice from. So, he's marketing his products? Who cares! A lot of the information is gold and is defnitely worth the investment in yourself for getting that dream career.

Thread Information