Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Essentials of Fire Fighting (5th ed.) companion books

In the Firefighting I class I'm currently taking (just started), we're using the IFSTA Essentials of Fire Fighting (5th edition). I am aware there are some companion books and am wondering if any or all of them are truly worth getting. I'm talking about the Student Workbook, Study Guide, and Skills Handbook. All are published by the same publisher and are true companions to the core text book.

I can get all three for about ~$132 from Amazon.

Are any or all of these worth buying?
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

honestly no! dont waste your money. just read your chapters and follow the skill steps at the end of each chapter and you will do absolutely fine.
    Whos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

InstructorJV87 is right. Unless your specifically told to get them, don't waste your money. IFSTA curriculum is good, but learning from guys who've been around for awhile is better.
    FDNY 343 - 9.11.01
    "Move out and draw fire"

yeah the 5th addition does a very good job in walking you threw all the skills step by step, and give very good practice tests at the end. the guides and workbook are just beating a deadhorse in my opinion, if not requires dont fret about it
    Whos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Are the students buying the books?

If so, great. If the dept supplies it to you, better.

In the classes I teach, I always insist that each student keeps the book, either from the depts or the students money. I try to provide some assistance if funds are short. If the student feels he needs the workbook, then I make it clear that it is their option and it certainly will not hurt them.

The goal is to get the students throught the course. If the book is in their hands, and the workbook help them, then why would I do anything to shortchange them?

I've been instructing for a very long time. My job is to make certain they know it when I am done with them. Because I am known for pretty tough homework assigments, the book is their best friend. If a book looks almost new after my class then I either didn't get their attention (shame on me) or they didn't take it serious (shame on me again).

So what is the price of a book compared to a firefighter that knows what he is walking in to?

If you think the workbook might help, then get it.

Sorry, I guess I disagree with the majority on this. Anything that furthers your ability to learn and get an edge, is worth the money.

For the record, the guys that put those books together are at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Which also just happens to be where IFSTA is.

http://imis-ext.osufpp.org/imispubli...y.aspx?catid=5

Always compare prices and don't pay more than you need to.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree, I have my students just buy the main book. I do encourage them to buy a test exam prep book by ben hirst. This lets them know what they should expect on the state test.

Forum Member

Around here student workbook is required as a condition of class. It is checked periodically by lead instructor to ensure student is keeping up. It is also a prereq for sitting for the class test which is prereq for state. (our local policy, not saying it's an all programs inclusive thing) It is a good test prep publication, although I prefer the CD copies myself for general studying.

If you want to be a firefighter though, time to start acting like one. That means...why buy what you can borrow? Someone in your department or general area probably has some of the other "companion" publications that you can borrow for class. Of course, in true ff fashion then, make sure you either break it, lose it, or fail to return it.

Thread Information