Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Forum Member

Command 6

The NFPA 1901 2003 discusses operators panel discharges

16.7.9.1 No discharge outlet larger than 2.5" shall be located at the operators panel

16.7.9.2 allows >2.5" top discharge outlet for top mount panels if it is attached directly to a deck gun

Mike

Forum Member

I can't remember where exactly that rule came from... I just remember it causing a bit of consternation, as many rigs carried the hydrant length in a drivers side running board well. Not to mention leaving those of us w/o a front or rear suction no way to add a second LDH supply line.

I think the idea was:

A) that 5" line was a big tripping hazard.
    B) Several people had been seriously injured when Storz couplings came undone at the pump panel ( in the days before locking couplings), or when an add on ldh valve failed at the swivel. They generally operate under less pressure, yes, but the flow is so much higher. That's a lot of weight and force coming loose!

In general, most of us prefer to have that big line hooked up some place other than the pump panel- it just gets in the way. Plus- better safe than sorry. However, sometimes you need to put it there to keep it out of the street, or to add a second line. Locking couplings, good equipment maintenance, and better intake valve designs have minimized the risks of a catastrophic failure. That blighter Murphy has a way of showing up at the worst times, though...

Have had more 5" disconnects since going to the locking tabs.

Some of us old learned to pump by leaning on the supply line. When it gets soft, your close to the max you flow.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
    I can't remember where exactly that rule came from... I just remember it causing a bit of consternation, as many rigs carried the hydrant length in a drivers side running board well. Not to mention leaving those of us w/o a front or rear suction no way to add a second LDH supply line.

The rule only references large diameter DISCHARGES on the drivers side and says nothing about using large diameter hose for an INTAKE connection on the driver's side.

Thread Information