Forum Member

Default New Volunteer FF

Hello everyone, I have become very interested in volunteering at my local vfd.
    Once I turn 16 ( soon ) I will be eligible to volunteer at my local fire department. I have a few questioned before I contact the department. What is the culture ( I guess you could say culture) around the fire house? I have heard everything from similar to a military type to a laid back type until a call comes in. Also, as a 16 year old, will I participate in the calls just as much as the 18+ volunteers? What should I know before I join? And finally do volunteer fire departments offer any window for vacation? Thanks everyone do answering my questions!

Kyle G.

Forum Member

The answers to just about all your questions rely on where you live and what department you plan on joining. I would say your best bet is to go hang out with the guys at the station; I'm sure they will welcome you in if you explain you are interested in joining.

As far as being only 16, I would suspect (depending on location, again) that your role will be pretty limited until the time you hit 18 and are certifiable. That doesn't mean you can't be of great help and won't experience a great deal, though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dtownsteve View Post
    The answers to just about all your questions rely on where you live and what department you plan on joining. I would say your best bet is to go hang out with the guys at the station; I'm sure they will welcome you in if you explain you are interested in joining.

As far as being only 16, I would suspect (depending on location, again) that your role will be pretty limited until the time you hit 18 and are certifiable. That doesn't mean you can't be of great help and won't experience a great deal, though.
    Thanks for replying.

Forum Member

As was said, it mostly depends on the department. See if you can talk to the chief or other officer. Some have a specific person to handle quetions like yours.

As far as vacation... well, it's volunteer so just let them know when you won't be around. It should not be a problem.

Forum Member

OK you have made several posts of about the same. Try to encompass everything together, instead of creating a new post. By the way, you can add to or edit any of your posts.

You need to post in the volunteer section and not this one.

Welcome anyway.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Sorry everyone pretty much accidentaly spamming this forum. Can you delete them?
    Last edited by MeadowGlen; 02-24-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Thread Information