Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Default Side-resting vehicle, different tactics?

All,
    Quick question. How do your tactics change depending on where the victim is located on a side-resting vehicle?

Simple scenario: Vehicle on it's side, drivers feet pinned under dash. All else being equal how do your tactics differ if the vehicle is resting on the driver or passenger side?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Stability

As I see it, stabilizing the vehicle and victim access are different. Vehicle on it's wheels with an entrapment, stability is using Step Chocks and deflating the tires. A vehicle on its side is stabilized temporarily using Step Chocks and then further stabilized using Rescue Struts.

Accessing the victim is different also. Access can be made through the rear window, through the roof or whatever is the safest means once the vehicle is stabilized.

There are a couple of differences between the situation presented.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Typically you are not going to have foot entrapment on the passenger side, yes I am sure there are instances, but we have not ran across one as long as I can remember.

I would first try to displace the brake petal bending it away from entrapment.

Second cut center supports for the dash and try either dash lift or roll, if you can get the cutters and cut the fender on the victims side (side resting on the ground and make a relief cut) it will push easier and make the lift/roll bigger. With the dash lift/roll on its side, you constantly have to check stabilization as you are changing the way the car is resting on the ground.

The scenario I was picturing had the driver's foot pinned but changing whether the car was resting on the drivers or passenger's side. How do the tactics change based on the position/location of the driver.

Specifically in a driver-pinned in a car resting on the passenger-side, is anything done to support the victim and avoid gravity pulling on the pinned legs. In my mind I immediately think roof-flap and dash lift/roll. The problem I see is that with a driver potentially being supported by his legs anything like that is going to cause them to move and put pressure on where their pinned.

Things like seat-shape and seat belts would help, but I wondered if there were any other adaptations..
    -3dd

Forum Member

is this the kind of thing you were thinking?

http://www.res-q-jack.com/In-The-New...g-Vehicle.html

interesting pics at bottom of article.

Forum Member

Default ratchet straps

Try to Leave the seat-belt on the victim until the legs are disentangled. If the seat-belt is out of service for whatever reason then utilizing a ratchet strap (around B pillar) and then looped around below the torso or even around a KED device (slid between the center console and drivers seat used to brace below the dangling body. This is all assuming your scenario (side resting on passenger side door with driver on the up side). There are several different options for the disentanglement maneuvers, dash movement, and lower a-pillar removal.

Cheers! Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by jordanwsr View Post
    Try to Leave the seat-belt on the victim until the legs are disentangled. If the seat-belt is out of service for whatever reason then utilizing a ratchet strap (around B pillar) and then looped around below the torso or even around a KED device (slid between the center console and drivers seat used to brace below the dangling body.
    Good feedback. Thanks!
    -3dd

Thread Information