Forum Member

Default Beast of a Rescue Squad

Disclaimer: I grew up around this firehouse and have plenty of friends there so maybe I'm partial.....

....but this looks like one hell of a rig. A lot of thought was put into it and it looks like it will be a truely one of a kind rig.

http://www.dpcemergency.com/news/bccrs_11211.pdf
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Get rid of the hinged doors, and have them install ROM roll-up doors. Noticed the air bags, but didn't see if you had Paratech's or other, for struts. Otherwise, looks pretty nice.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Get rid of the hinged doors, and have them install ROM roll-up doors.
    FM1
    I agree. I am not sure how accessible items on the rear slide-out toolboards will be with the hinged door open? You don't see many hinged door/roll-up door combinations, but you could always do it.

BCC's old squad is a Saulsbury and is very nice. I applaud people for laying out where the equipment goes during the design of the unit but sometimes wonder on why like items are not stored together?

There appears to be air equipment in three of more compartments. High pressure air bags in one compartment, medium pressure in another, air tools in another. I think I would just put all the air equipment together in the "air" compartment.

Have another compartment for gasoline powered equipment which would be vented. To each their own.

At least they are getting an AMKUS Ultimate system which, unless you have one or operated one, can't be beat. A 6-tool system at that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Get rid of the hinged doors, and have them install ROM roll-up doors. Noticed the air bags, but didn't see if you had Paratech's or other, for struts. Otherwise, looks pretty nice.

FM1
    Yes they have Paratechs. I'm guessing that they will be in the rear compartments on each side, thats where they are now (on the vertical slide out) I'm not a member there, but remember hearing the last time I was down there that they looked into roll up doors and they weren't well recieved. Not sure why.

I wish at our department we had hinged doors as opposed to roll ups.... I'm not a fan.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

It will be a nice truck no doubt, but I didn't see anything that made me go Ohh Ahh too much.

And I agree on the doors. Roll ups will make getting to everything much easier.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    It will be a nice truck no doubt, but I didn't see anything that made me go Ohh Ahh too much.
    Agreed, it's nothing spectacular, it's a heavy rescue designed for a busy house.

Looking at it First thing I do is get rid of the fold down steps and offer the crew a sensible and safe alternative such as a ladder assembly or staircase(power folding to offer a crypt style access for large items such as stokes, litters or backboards)

Good luck to the house on the new truck

Forum Member

Default Bccrs

It's sad they won't have a Saulsbury anymore.

It looks like the fold down steps are for service work on the hydraulic systems.

I'll chime in on the door thing. I do not like roll ups you have to secure everything very well. If you have a slightly aggressive driver things can be thrown up against a roll up door making it inoperative. Now yes if thrown against a hinged door it can fall out but at least you can access the other stuff after you pick up the piece that fell out. Roll ups can throw a shoe and be inoperative and hinged doors can either have a rod of cable failure on the latches, at least with those you can unscrew the latch and hopefully the problem isn't at the striker part of the latch. Yes they offer a different kind of access but the hinged doors don't shrink the usable space in the compartment nor do they obstruct the placement of items in the upper portion of the compartment. The little things like matching paint with the same color used by the door manufacturer. Striping issues where the gaps don't line up and it throws the whole thing off. Okay that's my rant.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    I'll chime in on the door thing. I do not like roll ups you have to secure everything very well. If you have a slightly aggressive driver things can be thrown up against a roll up door making it inoperative. Now yes if thrown against a hinged door it can fall out but at least you can access the other stuff after you pick up the piece that fell out. Roll ups can throw a shoe and be inoperative and hinged doors can either have a rod of cable failure on the latches, at least with those you can unscrew the latch and hopefully the problem isn't at the striker part of the latch. Yes they offer a different kind of access but the hinged doors don't shrink the usable space in the compartment nor do they obstruct the placement of items in the upper portion of the compartment. The little things like matching paint with the same color used by the door manufacturer. Striping issues where the gaps don't line up and it throws the whole thing off. Okay that's my rant.
    We have run into this problem with our rescue squad. It is a pain to try and correct. Luckily the compartments it has happened to were either transverse or we could get up enough to push the equipment back into place to open to door.

I think this is part of their reasoning for no roll ups.... their current squads are packed to the gills. There is definitely no room for roll ups on the current squads.

Forum Member

http://www.deptfordfd.org/images/rescue_938.jpg

This is closest to a Beast of a Rescue!!!! Well at least that I have seen!!!!!

Forum Member

My humble opinions on those issues are this. First, if you have to worry about an "aggressive" driver slingling equipment into the doors you probably need to secure your equipment better. Second, if you have to worry about how much space the roll up door will take in the compartment because you will be packing the truck as full as can be, maybe you should think about a bigger truck.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire562 View Post
    http://www.deptfordfd.org/images/rescue_938.jpg

From the looks of the picture it looks like its about the same size as the one in the drawings.... its the same cab I know that much.

Forum Member

this is the beast I've seen and got to jump into.

http://www.town.richmond-hill.on.ca/...re_station_8_4

Nicknamed Squadzilla... She's a big Girl, sorry I don't have a better photo

Forum Member

What about this one that is for sale?

http://www.fentonfire.com/rescue_tru...g.php?lid=2959

Forum Member

Usually if someone says something about a crazy squad, this is the first truck that comes to mind for me:

Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    From the looks of the picture it looks like its about the same size as the one in the drawings.... its the same cab I know that much.
    From what I can recall looking at the drawings, I believe the Deptford Rescue was something like 43'8" bumper to bumper (when finished versus the drawing length) which is 5' longer than the Rescue 1. My company had purchased their old rescue and I had the opportunity to see this the day it was delivered. It was a massive, but well thought out

rescue.http://www.svitrucks.com/imageupload...Drawing123.pdf
    Last edited by Fire562; 02-27-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Forum Member

On the subject of the roll-up doors:

We were just discussing this today. We have found that our rollups are not holding up well. The salt and crud from the winter weather is causing them to stick and hang up. We also have problems with the equipment being poorly secured-not our choice, but we are given limited resources/tools for mounting. If given the choice in the future, I'd go back to hinged doors.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    On the subject of the roll-up doors:

We were just discussing this today. We have found that our rollups are not holding up well. The salt and crud from the winter weather is causing them to stick and hang up. We also have problems with the equipment being poorly secured-not our choice, but we are given limited resources/tools for mounting. If given the choice in the future, I'd go back to hinged doors.
    You can get them freed up by washing them out weekly, and spraying them down with a good silicone spray. We also have crappy winters, so we take care of them. No issues with over 75 rigs with roll-up doors. ROM doors, that is.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Our 2 Sutphens (including my rig) have ROM doors. I don't see an advantage of this type of door that justifies performing weekly maintenance, when compared to a hinged door that requires none. To each their own I guess.

Forum Member

Our 2 Sutphens (including my rig) have ROM doors. I don't see an advantage of this type of door that justifies performing weekly maintenance, when compared to a hinged door that requires none. To each their own I guess.
    We've got Rom's,work in EXTREMELY Hostile conditions. We also hose the rig after every run,and as FM1 suggests,give the doors a squirt of silicone every now and then. Run these doors for over 5 years and they aren't sticking or hanging. Way less trouble than HINGED doors HERE. T.C.

Forum Member

1. Don't have to worry about someone leaving one open and tearing up a vehicle/station. Call it a training issue, call it whatever, but we all know it happens.

2. Don't have to worry about someone not closing one all the way and it flying open while you're driving down the road.

3. A whole lot less to buff/wax when the time comes, assuming you don't have pained roll up doors.

And in my expirience calling hinged doors maintainence free isn't exactly acurate. You still have to grease the latch every now and then, and God forbid something get into the hinges.

On my volunteer department, the truck commitee when a certain vehicle was bought justified traditional hinged doors over roll ups because they wanted to be able to stand under the gull wing doors when it rained. SMH.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

From what I can recall looking at the drawings, I believe the Deptford Rescue was something like 43'8" bumper to bumper (when finished versus the drawing length) which is 5' longer than the Rescue 1. My company had purchased their old rescue and I had the opportunity to see this the day it was delivered. It was a massive, but well thought out

rescue.http://www.svitrucks.com/imageupload...Drawing123.pdf
    I stand corrected!

I failed to look at the OAL on the drawings, I was just going by sight.

Thank god their new rig won't be 44 feet long... it would be literally impossible to get around their first due.

Forum Member

1. Don't have to worry about someone leaving one open and tearing up a vehicle/station. Call it a training issue, call it whatever, but we all know it happens.

2. Don't have to worry about someone not closing one all the way and it flying open while you're driving down the road.

3. A whole lot less to buff/wax when the time comes, assuming you don't have pained roll up doors.

And in my expirience calling hinged doors maintainence free isn't exactly acurate. You still have to grease the latch every now and then, and God forbid something get into the hinges.

On my volunteer department, the truck commitee when a certain vehicle was bought justified traditional hinged doors over roll ups because they wanted to be able to stand under the gull wing doors when it rained. SMH.
    Your list is pretty much the same one I used when I was on the apparatus committee 10 years ago arguing in favor of rollups. Suffice to say, that under our conditions, they have not held up as well as we expected.

1. We haven't ripped off a door on the other rigs in 15 years. That stopped when we started using vertical hinges. Tough to miss that amount of panel in the mirror.

2. We have had the ROMs open on the road-yes, I'm sure that was operator error. But you can't tell their open until you get back into the station. The electronic door warning lights/buzzers are evidently a low priority on the Chief's maintenance list.

3. Our doors are painted, with graphics applied. The paint and graphics are peeling or worn off at every seam-and they still have to be waxed.

Your experience is different than mine. Perhaps it's the install, or a reflection on the poor suspension on those rigs that causes them to bounce and shift all over the place. We are a career dept, each of those rigs probably goes on 2500-3000 calls a year and averages 10-15K miles a year.

Forum Member

I really think these monster Squads/Heavy Rescues are getting out of hand. Do the taxpayers really need to buy these monsters. I dont care if you are volly or paid they are the ones still buying them. The justifaction for these monsters is lame " we need all this chit in case the big one happens and we need it". A smaller truck for 99% of the calls and a support truck or trailer for the "BIG ONE".
    A lot of these are ego machines. The american fire departments has fallen into the bigger is better trap. A lot of these trucks engines, rescues and trucks are "well laid out" so you can see everything. Emergency equipment is some of the most expensive real estate you will buy per cubic foot. The more you spread equipment out the more it is going to cost you. Instead of spreading equipment out so everyone can see all your tools put them grouped togther in trays and boxs with labels and symbols.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    Yes they offer a different kind of access but the hinged doors don't shrink the usable space in the compartment nor do they obstruct the placement of items in the upper portion of the compartment.
    I understand what you mean about usable space in the top of the compartment. One alternative to this would be to make tall compartments. Saulsbury was famous for making very large (tall) compartment doors. Typical over-the-wheel compartments have roughly a 30" tall opening. Saulsbury's were 40". This meant that your full height doors were72" tall instead of 60". Or, have a compertment built which would go behind the rollup doors and be accessible from the rear of the body. This compartment would be about 10"X10" square and the length of the body. A good place for a gin pole, long cribbing, or air cascade cylinders.

Now of course you need to be able to reach up to get the door down which can be done with a strap. The other things is that items which are now at least 7ft in the air cannot be reached from the ground by a typical 6ft tall (let alone 5'8") firefighter, not to mention the ergonomic or safety factor for storing items this high. Of course, this is a perfect place to mount your reels. By having the reels taking up the top 18" of a 72" tall compartment you would be using the area where it is too high to store something, but giving you the ability to actuallly view the reel when winding up your cord. Putting your reels in a coffin compartment and winding them blind can get you in a "bind".

This is one of the things I like about Rosenbauer's safe steps. The can be used to hold items back which would/could slide into a roll-up door - i.e. 4X4 cribbing or poly bins. These items can be stored from the framerail height down behind the step. The roll-up door would start above the framerail height and your shelves or trays can start there. If you want to access the top of your compartments to get something seldom used off the top shelf then fold the step down and get it. Or, step on it to wind your reel up. Pierce has also done this "step" by using the same step/rollup door configuration they use on their PUCs on the sides of a HazMat. Works the same.

Forum Member

Roll ups will make getting to everything much easier.
    Except when they get stuck.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information