Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 296
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Tacoma Testing 2011

  1. #21
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I just got notice from Tacoma Fire and I have a testing date of April 26th. Hope that helps.


  2. #22
    Forum Member sredish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Soon the be Chandler AZ
    Posts
    89

    Default

    flying in to seatac on the 26th at 11 and testing on the 27th; have a hotel booked on I-5 about two miles from the Dome. Done deal. I don't know the area at all and was going to cruise around a little when I got there to look around; maybe head to defiance park and check it out... dunno yet.

    be nice to know how many they're taking for sure and how solid the positions will be when they fill em.

  3. #23
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Got the test notice but I'm out of money. Don't think I'll be able to make it. It's definitely a shame...

  4. #24
    Forum Member sredish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Soon the be Chandler AZ
    Posts
    89

    Default

    flying from dallas, i'm using one air carrier out there and a different one coming back; total airfare was under 250 and then 35 for a rental car is not a bad deal. if it would've been 500 or more to fly and all, i would've been out.

  5. #25
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Did anybody buy the study guide? I got my test notice but it seems like a waste of time to mail in an order form and have them mail me back a study guide when the test is in 3 weeks. Is the test just a regular civil service exam or one where you actually need their study stuff?

  6. #26
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Uh heads up bro, get the study guide. You will not pass without it, it is based off of material directly from the book and there is stuff you will not know even if you gods gift to being a baby saving firefighter. Good Luck with the test. That is all.

  7. #27
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athletefirefighter View Post
    Did anybody buy the study guide? I got my test notice but it seems like a waste of time to mail in an order form and have them mail me back a study guide when the test is in 3 weeks. Is the test just a regular civil service exam or one where you actually need their study stuff?
    Dude...really?

  8. #28
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    35

    Default

    I just took my first written test in Dallas last week and none of it was really anything you could study for, either you know how to read/write and do basic math or you need to take a math/english class. But if departments have study guides does it mean they test you on test-specific material? Not trying to sound like an idiot just trying to figure this process out since I'm just getting started.

  9. #29
    MembersZone Subscriber ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Not every test is alike.

    The one they use in particular does force the candidate to purchase a specific edition study guide for the test that is just slightly off of real world numbers that you must use the study guide in order to score well. For that I am not a big fan of this test for the oft' cash strapped candidate. (Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of banding either or the whole "rule of 3's" or 5's.)

  10. #30
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Yeah man. To be honest, I like this test but that's just me. Homeboy above me knows the deal. You will need to memorize right out of the book. Get the practice test as well. It's $25 bucks all up.

  11. #31
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Not every test is alike.

    The one they use in particular does force the candidate to purchase a specific edition study guide for the test that is just slightly off of real world numbers that you must use the study guide in order to score well. For that I am not a big fan of this test for the oft' cash strapped candidate. (Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of banding either or the whole "rule of 3's" or 5's.)
    Heads up...those bands or rule of 3's and 5's give you the chance to be hired. I doubt you come out #1 every test and this also gives the hiring department some flexibility on hiring someone they feel is a better fit in their department. The last thing anyone wants, is to hire someone who doesn't get along and then let them go before their probation is up because nobody wanted to work with them.

  12. #32
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BFDCP View Post
    Heads up...those bands or rule of 3's and 5's give you the chance to be hired. I doubt you come out #1 every test and this also gives the hiring department some flexibility on hiring someone they feel is a better fit in their department. The last thing anyone wants, is to hire someone who doesn't get along and then let them go before their probation is up because nobody wanted to work with them.
    If it wasn't mentioned already what is the "rule of 3's or 5's". Thanks.

  13. #33
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Does anyone know if you can call and get switched to a different day... my car is broken and all my buddies are going on the day after mine

  14. #34
    MembersZone Subscriber ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BFDCP View Post
    Heads up...those bands or rule of 3's and 5's give you the chance to be hired. I doubt you come out #1 every test and this also gives the hiring department some flexibility on hiring someone they feel is a better fit in their department. The last thing anyone wants, is to hire someone who doesn't get along and then let them go before their probation is up because nobody wanted to work with them.
    Rule of 3's or 5's allows a department to pull 3 or 5 candidates to interview for every one or more open position. Works to some extent unless you happen to be one of those not picked up. Yeah, I was one of those. And what was the mitigating factor? Poor financial credit. I was #1 on two different lists prior to getting hired where I am now, yet passed over because of it.

    Here we have a straight Civil Service List. We go right down the list and hire in rank order. Sure everyone is different, but we haven't hired any real @-holes yet.

    Personally I didn't like being passed over when I was ranked #1. All I needed was an opportunity. Credit is hard to overcome if it's bad, but also shouldn't be a limiting factor when it comes to getting the job. Nobody has ever asked me at a fire scene to see my credit report nor said it somehow adversely affects how I do my job.

    Sorry to hijack the thread there.
    Good luck everyone!

  15. #35
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Rule of 3's or 5's allows a department to pull 3 or 5 candidates to interview for every one or more open position. Works to some extent unless you happen to be one of those not picked up. Yeah, I was one of those. And what was the mitigating factor? Poor financial credit. I was #1 on two different lists prior to getting hired where I am now, yet passed over because of it.

    Here we have a straight Civil Service List. We go right down the list and hire in rank order. Sure everyone is different, but we haven't hired any real @-holes yet.

    Personally I didn't like being passed over when I was ranked #1. All I needed was an opportunity. Credit is hard to overcome if it's bad, but also shouldn't be a limiting factor when it comes to getting the job. Nobody has ever asked me at a fire scene to see my credit report nor said it somehow adversely affects how I do my job.

    Sorry to hijack the thread there.
    Good luck everyone!
    I feel for you on the credit issue but it is relevent to what we do. We are given taxpayer money to perform a service and any hint of weakness on our part to do that ethically and honestly hurts everyone. I am sure your credit history was the product of bad luck, but with others it is a sign of bad judgement. Poor credit has led people to theft of public funds, and in this economy especially, no public organization is going to open itself up to that potential if they can help it. Like I have seen before, why would a chief hire someone with a tarnish on their record when he has 100 other people with spotless backgrounds to choose from?

  16. #36
    cb3
    cb3 is offline
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    What are the differences between Tacoma Fd and Seattle FD as far as (1)when they will have an academy and (2)pay scale?

  17. #37
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cb3 View Post
    What are the differences between Tacoma Fd and Seattle FD as far as (1)when they will have an academy and (2)pay scale?
    Tacoma FD and Seattle FD are within <5% of each other when all is said and done.
    They are both great depts.
    As for when they are hiring, use their websites.

  18. #38
    cb3
    cb3 is offline
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    does Tacoma FD have a policy on visible tattoos?

  19. #39
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Hope all did well on the written.
    Sounds like this process will be much faster than normal, so be ready to go for the physical agility, it's pretty challenging I hear.
    http://www.cityoftacoma.org/Page.aspx?hid=8663

    I have seen plenty of firemen in Tacoma with tattoos.

  20. #40
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    433

    Default

    If you want to work for a stuffy, uptight, sterile "fire" department...go work in King County (Seattle not included).

    If you want to work in a gritty urban department filled with a bunch of hard edged firemen (traditional term - gender non specific) who could care less about how they look, and care more about kicking arse and taking names...Tacoma would be a great place to be.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Orlando Fire Dept. Testing 2011
    By FloridaFireEMT in forum Florida
    Replies: 264
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 02:36 PM
  2. Tacoma Fire Department 2011
    By powerhourcoug in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 11:49 PM
  3. Columbus(OH) Division of Fire 2011 testing
    By ETmedic252 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 07:51 AM
  4. Fort Collins, CO. Testing spring 2011
    By Poudreguy in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 11:20 PM
  5. Alohol in the fire service
    By smitty2275 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 03-15-2006, 05:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts