Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Tacoma Testing 2011

Forum Member

Scored 98. Rank 6. Pretty sure they are band scores.

Forum Member

Anyone have an idea what the band rank cutoff is in order to possibly receive an invite for the panel interview?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by piphill View Post
    Anyone have an idea what the band rank cutoff is in order to possibly receive an invite for the panel interview?
    Physical comes before any interviews. And it's hard telling, depends on their needs - list is good for three years so it may be a couple years before hearing anything depending on list placement.

Forum Member

Congrats to those that passed.

Now the real process begins.

Forum Member

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I passed the written in the 8th band. I am a little concerned about the background check because I had a couple speeding tickets a few years ago and I had a credit card sent to collections when I was in college doing my undergrad. That's it really. I have reasonable explainations for the credit card and it is now paid off. Is there anybody from TFD here that knows how stringent the dept. is about these kind of things? I understand the whole "there will be a hundred others with perfect records" argument but I also have some credentials that very few others have. Just trying to figure out how worried I should be about the background investigation. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Axe View Post
    ............. it may be a couple years before hearing anything depending on list placement.
    Not according to Flipper (who is at TFD). You can see his comment on page 3 of this thread. TFD wants one class before end of the year.

Also according to Flipper (from 2007 thread), "Hiring is not in strict order of placement..."

(Does ANYBODY read the prior posts before they make comments? C'mon guys alot of this info is already posted???)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha6568 View Post
    Not according to Flipper (who is at TFD). You can see his comment on page 3 of this thread. TFD wants one class before end of the year.

Also according to Flipper (from 2007 thread), "Hiring is not in strict order of placement..."

(Does ANYBODY read the prior posts before they make comments? C'mon guys alot of this info is already posted???)
    I read that, thanks. But it's likely over the next three years they'll make more than one academy out of this list, so if you don't get in right away (the "before the end of the year" one) it could be awhile before you move to the next step.

Does ANYBODY think beyond the literal tense of what is written before they reply? C'mon...

I'm just flipping you crap, I know what you're saying. That said, I wasn't insinuating the first to be called. I'm just saying, this list lasts awhile, and it could be quite some time before certain people hear something

Forum Member

NP. Intensity is probably the product of vague process definition for recruitment. Thanks for shaking me up so I don't take myself so seriously.

BTW, I have to agree with KHawke about confusing e-mail and lack of clear communication of how the process (banding/selection) works.
    Last edited by Pasha6568; 05-25-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Forum Member

I'm just picturing the poor candidates out there, the ones not reading this thread, telling their families and friends "Wow! I'm ranked #11! My dream is finally coming true!" because that is exactly what the e-mail indicates. It does not say ANYTHING about "bands". Bands have never been mentioned.
    Last edited by KHawke; 05-26-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Forum Member

OK I got a clear answer from Tacoma HR, here it is...

"Greetings,

Thank you for your question. Perhaps this will clarify the meaning of your score and rank. Your score is the percentage of questions that you got correct. There were a total of 80 questions and 70% was required to pass. Your rank is your rank on the eligibility list. Candidates with tie scores share ranks, so there may be more than one person in a rank if more than one person got the same score on the written exam. The eligible list contains 712 candidates in 30 ranks.

The Tacoma Fire Department fills vacancies in compliance with the Tacoma Municipal Code Chapter 1.24. Human Resources “certifies” the Tacoma Fire Department all of the candidates in the top 10 ranks for the first vacancy, and an additional rank for each additional vacancy. So, if the Tacoma Fire Department hires 1 candidate, they must be from the top 10 ranks. If they hire 10 candidates, they must be from the top 19 ranks, etc."

Forum Member

Trying to stay with the thread, apologize if I miss something.
    The banding system was covered by human resources, I think.
    There are many people with a score of 95, so they are all in the same band. Otherwise, they would be tied, and then ranked by what? Date they turned in their application? Alphabetical? So they make them all the same rank at that score.
    How many people are in each band is known to very few folks.
    As explained by HR in that email, the FD will ask the City for permission to hire X people, and HR will give them the amount of bands required for the Orals.
    TFD looks at the whole candidate, so credit, past work, bi-lingual, etc, all is evaluated to see who best meets the needs of the dept. Therefore, people in band 18 might be hired over people in band 1.
    Most important is to score high enough to get invited to the Orals- then, it's up to you to sell yourself.
    No one EVER knows how many will be hired, often right up until the day before the hiring. The budget is very fluid, so don't listen to anyone that says they heard X amount will be hired.

The practice PAT's are coming in mid-June, so figure the real PAT's will be this summer. Usually Orals will be 1 month or so after that.
    The physical is serious, get ready.

We lost 3 recruits so far at the Academy.

Good Luck

Forum Member

I received a letter inviting me to take practice PAT June 11 or 25th! I am on ranked in the 10 th band! Just wanted to see how many of the band were invited! If anyone received one as well, what rank?!

Forum Member

Got my invite by mail today, too (postmarked 6/1). Same days as above (9am-noon); Band 9.

Forum Member

I'm looking at the 12th and/or 26th. From what I have heard the top 20 bands.
    Last edited by nwavant; 06-03-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Adding more info

Forum Member

Did these invites come in the mail or via email?

Forum Member

Nevermind, didn't read your post carefully enough. Did anyone get an invite to the actual PAT or just the practice?
    Last edited by TruckOps84; 06-03-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nwavant View Post
    I'm looking at the 12th and/or 26th. From what I have heard the top 20 bands.
    I was ranked in 17 band, but no invite/letter

Forum Member

I was ranked in 17 band, but no invite/letter
    I got both an email last week and a letter a couple of days later.

Forum Member

I am in the 22nd band and I got my e-mail today.

Forum Member

I am in rank 20 and got invitation by mail, no email.

Forum Member

Don't quote me, but I think just about everyone gets invited to the practices.
    Will have to verify that.
    They want to give everyone the same chance to see what's expected.
    Remember, every step of the testing process you are being observed, even practices.
    Try and look like a recruit. That might mean shaving, getting a haircut, pulling your shorts up a bit, loosing the backwards ball-cap, etc.

Good Luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flipper123 View Post
    Don't quote me, but I think just about everyone gets invited to the practices.
    Will have to verify that.
    They want to give everyone the same chance to see what's expected.
    Remember, every step of the testing process you are being observed, even practices.
    Try and look like a recruit. That might mean shaving, getting a haircut, pulling your shorts up a bit, loosing the backwards ball-cap, etc.

Good Luck!
    Assuming a letter comes, this question will become more pertinent, but for my own curiosity as of now -

Do you think they will count it against you if you don't go to the practice? I'm just curious because with my current job for instance, I'm out of town June 10-29, so I wouldn't be able to make any of the practice dates. Since you know they do grade on every step, if I were to get asked to the real physical test, do you feel it would be counted against me for not having gone to a practice?

Forum Member

Assuming a letter comes, this question will become more pertinent, but for my own curiosity as of now -

Do you think they will count it against you if you don't go to the practice? I'm just curious because with my current job for instance, I'm out of town June 10-29, so I wouldn't be able to make any of the practice dates. Since you know they do grade on every step, if I were to get asked to the real physical test, do you feel it would be counted against me for not having gone to a practice?
    When I went through TFD's process a few years ago, a little bunny told me they keep track of who shows up to the practice sessions, as well as the things Flipper was talking about above.

I guess the question you should ask yourself...do you want to work for your current employer, or do you want to work for TFD?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    When I went through TFD's process a few years ago, a little bunny told me they keep track of who shows up to the practice sessions, as well as the things Flipper was talking about above.

I guess the question you should ask yourself...do you want to work for your current employer, or do you want to work for TFD?
    And that's a great way to look at it, but as my current Chief has told all of us volunteers, "You'll get people telling you that in this business you have to drop anything and everything to try and get on with a department. But the bottom line is YOU are the one who has to pay your bills."

Forum Member

They definitely document who attends.
    It would be against HR rules to use your lack of participation in the practices against you.
    I did not attend the practices when I went through.

But it is an excellent opportunity to meet the people who will ultimately decide to hire you or not. And for ALOT of people, they need to see the cours to really grasp that it's harder than the CPAT!

As for how important it is, that's up to you.

Good Luck!

Thread Information