Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Tacoma Testing 2011

Forum Member

Default Tacoma Testing 2011

Anyone know if the written exam will be in June 2011?

Forum Member

Default Tacoma

Heard from a Tacoma Fire Medic last week that the test is scheduled to be in May. He also said that approx 50 will be hired off this new list. They just got the SAFER Grant and are adopting a "forced" retirement policy. Don't take it as written in stone but definitely something to look forward to.

Forum Member

That is good news and do you think it will be around the middle of May? I will be coming from overseas to take the test and trying to put in vacation for a generic time frame.

Forum Member

Got my app in. Does anyone have any advice on past hirings/tests? I am from California but have heard that NREMT-P does not cross over for King County. Would Tacoma be out of this county's jurisdiction?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FirstDue52 View Post
    Got my app in. Does anyone have any advice on past hirings/tests? I am from California but have heard that NREMT-P does not cross over for King County. Would Tacoma be out of this county's jurisdiction?
    not to sound ignorant. But which tacoma are we talking about and when does it close?

Forum Member

Tacoma Fire in Washington State. They are located in Pierce County so they have their own fire medics so a cert does help. If you don't have it they put you through an in house medic school. It is a continuous recruitment set to close when they have reached capacity (who knows what that number might be) but it has been open for more than a month.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GU Bulldog Fire View Post
    Heard from a Tacoma Fire Medic last week that the test is scheduled to be in May. He also said that approx 50 will be hired off this new list. They just got the SAFER Grant and are adopting a "forced" retirement policy. Don't take it as written in stone but definitely something to look forward to.
    Better talk to our friend again, he may be mis-informed.
    Forced retirement? Not around here.
    There are so many things going on with the City, the Union, and the Dept that no one, including the Chief and the City Manager, has any idea when a test will be given. Sometime in 2011 is the right answer.
    Watch the website, call Human Resources.

But remember, just study the damn book everyday until the written.

Good Luck!

Forum Member

Default Real news about hiring

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/stree...-firefighters/

Two Pierce County fire departments – Tacoma and DuPont - have received federal grants to hire a total of 13 “front line” firefighters to bolster sagging staffing levels.

Tacoma announced today that it received $1,566,699 to pay salary and expenses over the next two years for 10 new firefighters.

The City of DuPont Fire Department received $540,750 in January to hire three new firefighters.

The money comes through the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Grants program. The local departments are among four in the state to receive money.

“It’s great news,” said Tacoma Fire spokesman Joe Meinecke. “We were hoping to get it.”
    Meinecke explained that the due to budget constraints the department hasn’t had a recruiting class since 2008 and is down 33 positions from its budgeted staff of 409 firefighters. He said they have enough front line firefughters to maintain a safe minimum number of 72firefighters on duty per shift.

He said city officials authorized a 24-person recruit class that will start next month to begin closing the staffing gap. The federal money now will pay for 10 of those positions.

DuPont Fire Department Operations Chief Greg Cooper said the grant will enable the city to have a minimum of three firefighters available 24/7. Currently there are only two minimum which is not a safe staffing level, he said.

“We were very appreciative of the grant,” Cooper said, “though it’s not surprising. SAFER grants are for departments like our that lost positions due to the economy. We thought we would be successful.”

The hires will up the number of DuPont “front line” firefighters from 9 to 12.

Under terms of the grant, Tacoma is required to support the grant positions for at least a third year.

Due to its size, Cooper said DuPont isn’t required to pay for the third year, adding the city will find a way to keep the positions.

Some might take this to mean that the City can hire 1o ff off the new list because Grant pays for 10 spots.
    Others might say the City is happy it just saved alot of money by not having to pay for 10 spots.
    And always look ahead and wonder what happens when the grant runs out...
    Last edited by flipper123; 03-05-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Forum Member

My recruit class was facilitated with a SAFER grant. There definitely have been concerns about our department's ability to keep us. Luckily we passed a permanent EMS levy this past fall, and our (department's) financial future is solvent.

If I were to test for TFD - I wouldn't sweat it too much. Flipper...correct me if I'm wrong, but TFD has never laid any line firefighters off in its history, right?

Forum Member

Have all 24 applicants been selected from the 2008 recruit class?

Forum Member

So will Tacoma hire off their last list or will they have a test coming up? I appreciate any insight guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    If I were to test for TFD - I wouldn't sweat it too much. Flipper...correct me if I'm wrong, but TFD has never laid any line firefighters off in its history, right?
    I think you're right coug.
    But wouldn't it suck to be the first?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FirstDue52 View Post
    So will Tacoma hire off their last list or will they have a test coming up? I appreciate any insight guys.
    New test. Get your app in if it's still open.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by piphill View Post
    Have all 24 applicants been selected from the 2008 recruit class?
    Yes, happily at work at the academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flipper123 View Post
    I think you're right coug.
    But wouldn't it suck to be the first?
    Kind of like being eaten by a grizzly. The odds may be 5,000 to 1 against it, but if you're the 1, it doesn't matter much.

Forum Member

Received an email from Tacoma. My test date is 4/27 at the Tacoma Dome.

Forum Member

Anyone want to go in on a Hotel room with me? I'm on the 27th yo.

cb3
    Forum Member

Does anyone know what the REAL starting and top step salary is for the Tacoma Fire Department?

Forum Member

Received my letter today for the 26th. I understand you have to pass the written to move on to the oral board. I don't see anything about a passing score or if they take the top so many. Does anyone have any insight?

Forum Member

Anyone want to carpool (in your car...) from Portland, OR to the test on the 27th? I'm scheduled for 1:00PM. Please let me know.

Forum Member

I just got notice from Tacoma Fire and I have a testing date of April 26th. Hope that helps.

Forum Member

flying in to seatac on the 26th at 11 and testing on the 27th; have a hotel booked on I-5 about two miles from the Dome. Done deal. I don't know the area at all and was going to cruise around a little when I got there to look around; maybe head to defiance park and check it out... dunno yet.

be nice to know how many they're taking for sure and how solid the positions will be when they fill em.

Forum Member

Got the test notice but I'm out of money. Don't think I'll be able to make it. It's definitely a shame...

Forum Member

flying from dallas, i'm using one air carrier out there and a different one coming back; total airfare was under 250 and then 35 for a rental car is not a bad deal. if it would've been 500 or more to fly and all, i would've been out.

Forum Member

Did anybody buy the study guide? I got my test notice but it seems like a waste of time to mail in an order form and have them mail me back a study guide when the test is in 3 weeks. Is the test just a regular civil service exam or one where you actually need their study stuff?

Thread Information