Forum Member

Default Barton-American Pump Parts Needed

We are needing a replacement transfer case for a Barton American midship pump. We had a bearing go out and ended up chewing up all of the gears in ours. It is a model number E1E-1000 pump in a 1975 Ford-American pumper.

Does anyone know of any retired trucks from this era which may have a Barton-American pump and would be a canidate for an "organ donation"?

Pictures of the needy truck can be seen at: http://www.applecityfd.org/index.php...id=2&Itemid=20

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Brian Manwaring

Forum Member

I believe Barton-American was purchased by Hale. You might try contacting them to see if they can help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TVFR9923 View Post
    I believe Barton-American was purchased by Hale. You might try contacting them to see if they can help.
    From Hale Website: In 1989, Hale acquired Godiva in Warwick, England. Godiva is a manufacturer of portable, high-pressure, and rear-mounted fire pumps and is one of the leading fire pump manufacturers outside the United States. This acquisition allowed Hale to bring the USA based Barton/American Godiva fire pump products under the Hale umbrella of products.

Forum Member

Talking

It sounds like he's looking for an entire midship gearbox assy for a 36 yo engine. Best bet will be to look at the used truck sites for an old engine thats going cheap with the correct pump and gearbox.

Something where the truck itself is toast but the mechanicals are still functioning.
    Probably not a whole lot of them floating around, as Barton was not a huge seller in later years.

Forum Member

I have contacted both the local Hale dealer and the Hale corporate office. They told me that there are no parts still available for the Barton American Pumps. Basically they purchased them to eliminate competition. As was stated we are hoping to find an old truck in a salvage yard (or one that is headed there) that might have a Barton American pump. I know a couple of regional truck builders in the midwest used Barton American pumps for a few years and I think American Fire Apparatus was based out of Battlecreek, MI, so I'm thinking the greatest concentration of these trucks would be in the upper midwest.

If anyone knows of trucks of this era in a salvage yard which might have been built by American, I would appreciate a heads up.

Thanks,

Brian

Forum Member

Talking

There are several 70's vintage american fire apparatus used trucks listed in the bargains section on the Firetec website . www.firetec.com
    A couple of them have barton front mounts, the others don't specify type of pump.

Thread Information