Forum Member

Question New Pro-Tech Titan-K gloves falling apart!

I recently bought a pair of Pro-Tech Titan-K structural gloves, after reading some good things about them hear. (My other choice was the Dragon Fire Alpha X Hybrid, but I happened to be in TFS's showroom and tried on the Titan-Ks and they fit perfectly, so I bought them.)

I have used them at home for about an hour practicing knots, and in my Firefighter I class for an hour or so doing gear donning drills, and more recently for another hour or so during fire extinguisher practice. But even before the extinguisher practice, I started noticing something very disturbing.

On the underside of the wrist, on both gloves, there is a zig-zag line of stitching, and the fabric is ripping apart along this stitch line. Here are some photos...

Has anyone else ever experienced this with this brand? I'm not sure if I'm still within the 30 day return policy at TFS; if I am, should I return them for another pair of the same kind, or exchange them and maybe by the Dragon Fire gloves or something else? If I'm out of the 30 day return period at TFS, should I try to contact Pro-Tech directly, or should that be my first course of action right from the start?

These are $85 gloves and they shouldn't be doing this after a couple of hours of light use. There are a few other students in my class that also have these gloves, also new, and nobody else is having the same problem.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

ALL the above. I've got some Protechs with quite a few hrs on them with no such damage. Tfs will want to know and the mfg as well. Sometimes a bad batch of material dies get into the production stream despite the best efforts of QC. T.C.

Forum Member

Call TFS customer service and tell them what is going on. It shouldn't matter what return policy you are in or out of. That shouldn't be happening.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Or call Protech. All bet they take care of you. But don't sit around stewing/posting online about it. Bet on the phone Monday.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Can someone explain to me why people come to FH.com to ask how to deal with problems with fire equipment they buy?

Step ONE) Contact the company you bought the item from.

Step TWO) If you get no satisfaction from them, contact the company that made the product.

Step THREE) If you get no satisfaction either place come on to FH.com and tell EVERYONE internationally that comes here about an issue with the product, the company that sold the product, and the company that makes the product.

Of course, if you get good service it is only kosher to come to FH.com and tell that story too.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Can someone explain to me why people come to FH.com to ask how to deal with problems with fire equipment they buy?

Step TWO) If you get no satisfaction from them, contact the company that made the product.

Step THREE) If you get no satisfaction either place come on to FH.com and tell EVERYONE internationally that comes here about an issue with the product, the company that sold the product, and the company that makes the product.

Of course, if you get good service it is only kosher to come to FH.com and tell that story too.

I agree as well.

Thi guy isn't a fireman, but has a desire to be. How do you ruin a pair of gloves tieing knots??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Because I wanted to know if anyone else had had a similar problem with this exact kind of glove. If other people have had a similar problem, I would probably prefer to replace these gloves with another brand. But if this is an isolated incident, I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the manufacturer and replace these with the same kind.

So far the only person to actually answer that question is Rescue101, and thanks to him for doing so.

Thanks for the suggested order of who to contact when.

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I agree as well.

Thi guy isn't a fireman, but has a desire to be. How do you ruin a pair of gloves tieing knots??
    You say that like it's a bad thing for a person to not be a firefighter but have a desire to be one.

And for the record, you do not know whether I ruined the gloves or not. It is entirely possible it is a manufacturing defect. Oh, but I guess since I'm not a firefighter, everything is automatically my fault.

Forum Member

Talking

Here's a thought: Why not wait until you are actually a firefighter and let the department issue you a set of good gloves , instead of spending your own money on imported crap.

What were you tying knots with??? Barbed wire!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing for a person to not be a firefighter but have a desire to be one.

And for the record, you do not know whether I ruined the gloves or not. It is entirely possible it is a manufacturing defect. Oh, but I guess since I'm not a firefighter, everything is automatically my fault.
    Look Junior, you better toughen up a bit if you expect to survive the razzing of the firehouse.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Here's a thought: Why not wait until you are actually a firefighter and let the department issue you a set of good gloves , instead of spending your own money on imported crap.

What were you tying knots with??? Barbed wire!
    The department already issued me gloves. They didn't expect me to go through a firefighting class without gloves. I didn't like them, they were thick and stiff. These gloves are thin and flexible and have gotten a lot of positive comments here.

To address your second question, I was tying knots with my hands. If you wanted to know what I was tying knots in the answer to that is 'rope'.

Forum Member

The department already issued me gloves. They didn't expect me to go through a firefighting class without gloves. I didn't like them, they were thick and stiff. These gloves are thin and flexible and have gotten a lot of positive comments here.

To address your second question, I was tying knots with my hands. If you wanted to know what I was tying knots in the answer to that is 'rope'.
    Well islandfire has just been textbooked by a recuit. What is the world coming to.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh, Justin, the OP is ok... If he just could drive something better than a Taurus. Sort of like a chevette to us old folks.

He just has to learn how to get a problem resolved, and I am quite sure he has figured it all out now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Oh, Justin, the OP is ok... If he just could drive something better than a Taurus. Sort of like a chevette to us old folks.

He just has to learn how to get a problem resolved, and I am quite sure he has figured it all out now.
    I've driven many cars that were better than a Taurus. But I've also driven many cars that were worse than a Taurus. Odd that you would pick one car that I owned for a few months over half a dozen years ago to throw in as a random reference. I think maybe you're just remembering reading here how someone discovered that I once posted a few times on a Taurus owner's message board years ago (or maybe you're the one that discovered that yourself), and they were using that fact to somehow prove that I'm not who I claim to be here , and now you're bringing that up as if it proves something. Internet archives exist (at least as of now) for all time. What does this particular tidbit mean now, in this context? Absolutely nothing about me...and what it says about you that you'd bring it up, I won't bother to say.

Regarding your second paragraph, which unlike your first is actually vaguely relevant: There are lots of ways to solve problems. I can think of a particular problem I have right now that I'd like to solve with a 12-gauge, but I digress. I had an idea how I would go about solving this problem, but posted here partly to see if anyone else had ever had this particular problem, and to see if anyone had any better ideas than the one I already had in my head. Rescue101 suggested I do what I was pretty much already planning on doing, so I'm pretty confident I'm on the right course.

Today, Monday Feb. 28, is one day shy of the 30-day return period with TFS, so I'll be contacting them first thing in the morning.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok. I let him get to me. I will go the high road and quit.
    Last edited by LVFD301; 02-28-2011 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Discretion is the better part of valor.

Forum Member

Ok, I change my post. Your a freakin idiot. It was a joke my friend, yes, from a quick google search. Get over it. You have a short life in the fire service if you can't take such a mild joke.

What a loon.
    Always happy to entertain.

By the way, if you're telling a joke or trying to be funny, try adding a smilie. If you tell a joke to me face to face, I'd understand that, because I'd see and hear that you're telling a joke. When you just put some words on a computer screen, all anyone else sees is the words; tone of voice, facial expression, body language, etc. are all totally absent. That's why smilies were invented, to try to put a little bit of emotion back into emotionless plain text. Try it sometime.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just felt an earthquake. 4.7 down in Arkansas.
    Last edited by LVFD301; 02-28-2011 at 02:42 AM.

Forum Member

Go away you punk*ss. You are bothering way too many electrons to post your crap here.
    No.

But since you haven't had anything useful or even interesting to say, you are quite welcome to take your own advice.

Forum Member

No.

But since you haven't had anything useful or even interesting to say, you are quite welcome to take your own advice.
    Actually junior bird man, go away. The entire premise of your topic either proves you are a moron or just completely incompetent as a human being.

Seriously, if your gloves are messed up who gives 2 turds to Siberia if anyone else's are? Follow the steps I listed above and get them repaired o replaced. Frankly, I am leaning towards you being a thin skinned moron who had no clue what to do to solve your problem.

Like I said earlier, toughen up junior or you are going to get eaten alive in the firehouse.

My advice at this point would be to shut up and go away. because every time you post you are just digging yourself in deeper and deeper.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 02-28-2011 at 03:23 AM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Actually junior bird man, go away. The entire premise of topic either proves you are a moron or just completely incompetent as a human being.

Seriously, if your gloves are messed up who gives 2 turds to Siberia if anyone else's are? Follow the steps I listed above and get them repaired o replaced. Frankly, I am leaning towards you being a thin skinned moron who had no clue what to do to solve your problem.

Like I said earlier, toughen up junior or you are going to get eaten alive in the firehouse.

My advice at this point would be to shut up and go away. because every time you post you are just digging yourself in deeper and deeper.
    Well I personally wouldn't give two turds to Siberia, or anything else for that matter, but it's quite obvious that I cared if anyone else had problems with Pro-Tech Titan-K gloves. I mean it's really a pretty stupid question, isn't it? If somebody's asking, why bother to ask who cares about it, because clearly the person asking cares about it, doesn't he?

I mean, what do you think would have happened if millions of Toyota owners had never bothered to ask any other Toyota owners if they were having problems with the gas pedal sticking?

I'm not worried about my firehouse. I'm also not worried about your personal opinion of me. I got what I wanted from my original question, and for your actual contribution, I'm grateful. But if you want to keep slinging the **** around, that's on you.

By the way...just out of curiosity, what is a "bird man"?
    Last edited by JJR512; 02-28-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Forum Member

Well I personally wouldn't give two turds to Siberia, or anything else for that matter, but it's quite obvious that I cared if anyone else had problems with Pro-Tech Titan-K gloves. I mean it's really a pretty stupid question, isn't it? If somebody's asking, why bother to ask who cares about it, because clearly the person asking cares about it, doesn't he?

I mean, what do you think would have happened if millions of Toyota owners had never bothered to ask any other Toyota owners if they were having problems with the gas pedal sticking?

I'm not worried about my firehouse. I'm also not worried about your personal opinion of me. I got what I wanted from my original question, and for your actual contribution, I'm grateful. But if you want to keep slinging the **** around, that's on you.

By the way...just out of curiosity, what is a "bird man"?
    Let me type slower this time so maybe you will get what I mean.

I had trouble with my original Protech gloves. I contacted the company. Talked right to the president of the company and got my gloves replaced for free. I didn't come on here and ask others if their gloves fell apart because it was irrelevant to getting my gloves repaired or replaced.

Do you understand now? My primary concern was getting my glove problem handled. Only after that would I have worried about coming here and posting about it.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Bad analogy my boy. Toyota had a problem with a few dozen cars, that killed and/or injured people. And it didn't come to owners talking to owners. It came by the owners submitting the accident reports, that Toyota realized that they had an issue.

On your gloves, you should have gone through the proper normal channels. That being what FyredUp had posted. I mean really, am I going to complain about a MATCO tool here, just to get answers that are obvious??? Ummm...NOT. << here's your smiley.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Let me type slower this time so maybe you will get what I mean.

I had trouble with my original Protech gloves. I contacted the company. Talked right to the president of the company and got my gloves replaced for free. I didn't come on here and ask others if their gloves fell apart because it was irrelevant to getting my gloves repaired or replaced.

Do you understand now? My primary concern was getting my glove problem handled. Only after that would I have worried about coming here and posting about it.
    I had no trouble understanding you earlier. I just didn't agree with you. Not agreeing with you isn't the same as being stupid, believe it or not.

I believe that knowing if anyone else has had a similar problem with the same kind of glove is relevant because it helps me decide if I want them replaced with the same kind of glove or with another brand.

So let me explain it again to you and hope that you will understand what I've already said earlier.

If other people have had the same kind of problem, or a similar problem, with the exact same gloves or with other gloves from the same brand, that tells me mine is not an isolated incident. That is relevant because if this kind of problem is one that this brand is prone to have, then I would be disinclined to replace these gloves with another pair from the same brand. If the brand is prone to having this problem, then it's likely the replacement pair may also have the same problem as well.

To me, that makes perfect sense. I don't see why it's such a difficult concept for you to grasp.

By the same token, if nobody else has ever had this problem, then I'm inclined to believe it to be just an isolated incident and would accept a replacement pair of the same kind/brand.

And in case you haven't figured it out yet, I need to ask this question before I talk to the vendor or the manufacturer. If the vendor is going to assist me and offer an exchange, it would make sense for me to know ahead of time whether I want to exchange for the same brand or a different brand, wouldn't it? I mean, it wouldn't make much sense for me to try to get this information after the decision that depended on it had already come and gone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Bad analogy my boy. Toyota had a problem with a few dozen cars, that killed and/or injured people. And it didn't come to owners talking to owners. It came by the owners submitting the accident reports, that Toyota realized that they had an issue.

On your gloves, you should have gone through the proper normal channels. That being what FyredUp had posted. I mean really, am I going to complain about a MATCO tool here, just to get answers that are obvious??? Ummm...NOT. << here's your smiley.

FM1
    No. Toyota quite clearly did not care about the accident reports of a few dozen owners. It took owners coming together and complaining en masse to the press and the government for Toyota to come down off its high horse and do a damned thing about their problem, including admitting they had one.

As for the gloves, see my immediately previous reply. And the answer to "has anyone else had this problem" isn't really obvious.

And do not make the mistake of thinking any part of my original post was a complaint. I did not make any disparaging remarks about the gloves or the brand at all. I asked if anyone else had the same problem, and I asked which of a few different options was the best way to deal with that. There's no complaint there at all. (Do not ever try to read more into what I write than just what I write.) Am I upset that this happened? Yes, mildly. But it isn't worth complaining about yet, not until I see what the resolution will be. Which I hope to find out later today.

Forum Member

You should write a book. It seems like you know a lot about everything.

Thread Information