Forum Member

Default Electric Pump Valves

We are in the process of specing a new rescue pumper and a mid mount tower. My question has to do with electrically controlled pump valves. We had a truck 20 ago that was one of the first to have a full electronic pump system. The truck was plagued with issues. The powers at be are very gun shy about an electronic pump system. I would like feed back from members who currently use electric pump valves now. What issues do you have. What do you like. What do you dislike. Cost, maintenance, reliability,Brand, model, ect. I would like to see us go to electronic pump controls to make both new truck pump panels similar in layout and use. Thanks for your input .

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand the wanting of things to layout similarly, but I've always found that if an operator knows how to truly operate a pump, they can operate any pump. make it as simple as reasonable by calling the tank to pump the same thing, the tank fills the same, heck even use the same color codes, but given the number of issues that seem to be out there with electronic everythings, I'd prefer as much mechanical stuff as I could get.

Or you could make it real simple and buy a real truck with no pump! Then the pump on the engine would match...itself!

Forum Member

Our latest rescue/pumper is all electric valves, I can not name the brand off hand. The truck has been in service for 4-5 years, without any problems that I know of. We did have a couple of issues with the computer screen and pump controls initially, but I think some of that was operator error.

Forum Member

You may not have much choice. Most MM Platforms will use electric valves.

Have you thought about specing access to manual back ups. I saw one that involves opening the gauge panel access and using common ratchet to operate manual controls in the event the electronics crap out (which will happen given time).

C6

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    You may not have much choice. Most MM Platforms will use electric valves.

Have you thought about specing access to manual back ups. I saw one that involves opening the gauge panel access and using common ratchet to operate manual controls in the event the electronics crap out (which will happen given time).

C6
    You would be CORRECT! And YES,we do have access so we can manually override them. No issues to date. T.C.

Forum Member

i have unit coming up on 18 yrs with elkhart electric valves. They've been great and have required NO repairs.

Thread Information