Forum Member

Default There was a fire & they didn't call WHO?

This is the kind of dumbness we deal with from the media.

"Instead of calling police, the man first tried to put out the fire himself using water from a bathroom sink."

Report says voodoo sex morons didn't call POLICE

I see this dumb stuff all the time. It amazes me the effort that reporters put into some aspects of a story and then they just phone it in on basic stuff.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

Some years ago Metro-Dade did a "mini-academy" for the media. Some classroom, some hands-on. They may still do it.

It ought to be a requirement everywhere before reporters can report on fire activity.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

That would be good, especially for the more complex stories.

But doesn't any three-year-old know what the police and fire departments do??

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    That would be good, especially for the more complex stories.

But doesn't any three-year-old know what the police and fire departments do??
    Given the state of education in this country today, I wouldn't bet on it...

Forum Member

If the fire wasn't legal, it makes sense to call the cops. Once the cops have surrounded the fire, the fire department can be called in for extinguishments.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Umm...the reporter is right.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Umm...the reporter is right.
    From your statement it sounds like 911 in NYC is under the police department. I realize that the facility, personnel, equipment & whatever are all PD, but the call is ultimately (and primarily) for the FD.

When I was a kid & wanted to call my best friend David, I was dialing a number paid for by his parents, listed in their names, and in a house that they owned. But I didn't say, "I'm calling Jan & Lora." I said, "I'm calling David." Even if Jan or Lora (or David's hot sister Meredith) answered, they would give the phone to David.

So if I were writing the story, I would have said they didn't call the fire department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    From your statement it sounds like 911 in NYC is under the police department. I realize that the facility, personnel, equipment & whatever are all PD, but the call is ultimately (and primarily) for the FD.

When I was a kid & wanted to call my best friend David, I was dialing a number paid for by his parents, listed in their names, and in a house that they owned. But I didn't say, "I'm calling Jan & Lora." I said, "I'm calling David." Even if Jan or Lora (or David's hot sister Meredith) answered, they would give the phone to David.

So if I were writing the story, I would have said they didn't call the fire department.

911 operators work for the PD. who you think you are calling doesnt matter, you are calling the PD.

Forum Member

911 operators work for the PD. who you think you are calling doesnt matter, you are calling the PD.
    they were calling the fire department via the police, if we wish to get technical.

Forum Member

It varies between jurisdictions. I've seen it done multiple ways.

The country where I grew up (and still have family there) recently went to a county wide fire dispatch system. However the police are still on their own local system.

Where I live now there is a Dept. of Emergency Services which oversees the fire and police.

Forum Member

Regardless of who would actually answer the phone call to 911, unless the cops are the ones who will be coming to put out the fire, the proper reporting should have been that the FD wasn't called.

MembersZone Subscriber

Must of been some hot sex????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keenque View Post
    It varies between jurisdictions. I've seen it done multiple ways.

The country where I grew up (and still have family there) recently went to a county wide fire dispatch system. However the police are still on their own local system.

Where I live now there is a Dept. of Emergency Services which oversees the fire and police.
    I work for the jurisdiction in question.

Forum Member

Call the following number, 718-999-1111 or 2222 or 3333 or 4444 each one will get you a trained FDNY dispatcher that will save valuable time.

Forum Member

Call 911 here, you get a county operator who will get your information, then transfer you to a police department. PD will then dispatch LEO's, Fire, and EMS as necessary.

You can also call the PD directly if you know the local number.

So, in effect, you call police here too....not fire.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by admpaul View Post
    Must of been some hot sex????
    Five alarms worth!
    To Persist is to Conquer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    If the fire wasn't legal, it makes sense to call the cops. Once the cops have surrounded the fire, the fire department can be called in for extinguishments.
    Is that surrounded by vehicles, officers on foot or a combination of both? Also do the officers have to log onto FH.com to determine the proper way to get there and post an opinion poll of how close/far to surround the fire?
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Call 911 here, you get a county operator who will get your information, then transfer you to a police department. PD will then dispatch LEO's, Fire, and EMS as necessary.

You can also call the PD directly if you know the local number.

So, in effect, you call police here too....not fire.
    I suppose they send a cruiser out to "see if it is a real fire".... and yes, I have actually heard politicians use that line to fire chiefs when they ask why we send out the big red trucks when the PD can find out if it is a fire or not...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Huh Politicians!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I suppose they send a cruiser out to "see if it is a real fire".... and yes, I have actually heard politicians use that line to fire chiefs when they ask why we send out the big red trucks when the PD can find out if it is a fire or not...
    And the answer to that is that some dumbass politicians dont realize that those big red trucks save lives. They also don't realize that there is pretty good length of time between when the PD is dispatched to when they get there to investigate. Time is everything in the fire service every second is valuable.

MembersZone Subscriber

When you dial 9-1-1 here you get the county dispatch center. They handle everybody - city fire, county fire, city police, sheriff, state police, even the dispatcher. There are three "desks", plus a dedicated call-taker.

If the call-taker is busy with another caller, the next available dispatcher will take your call. That might be the person working the City PD desk, but if your call requires the response of a volunteer fire department out in the county, they'll still take your information, then send it to the appropriate desk(s) for dispatch (ie, if it's an MVA, you're getting LE and FD).

All the desks can function in any capacity. So if there's something for the city PD dispatcher (who's talking to you), another dispatcher will pick it up.

The person working the county LE desk tonight might be doing fire tomorrow.

And it works just fine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Five alarms worth!
    I dont seem to have that problem, heck I cant even get a single engine hahaha

Around here, our fire dispatch is also part of PD dispatch. Call goes to the dispatch center and everybody is dispatched from the same building.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Town near me has done that....cop didn't see anything so he reported a false alarm. As he drove away and looked in the rear view mirror, he saw flames out the roof.

Our PD dispatchers don't send a cruiser to see if there is a fire, they dispatch us on notification.

I will admit, having the 911 system has increased the time from making a call to actual dispatch, due to the county's way of handling things.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Our PD dispatchers don't send a cruiser to see if there is a fire, they dispatch us on notification.
    Just to clarify - the PD will send a car or two over just to get accurate information on what's going, because you can never trust those callers. They tend to exaggerate sometimes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    Just to clarify - the PD will send a car or two over just to get accurate information on what's going, because you can never trust those callers. They tend to exaggerate sometimes.
    *****! I meant they don't ONLY send a cruiser over.

Thread Information