Thread: Cmc mpd review

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cmc mpd review

We recently placed into service the MPD device, and are very impressed. The cost is a definite factor, but this tool will change the way you rig and operate.

The MPD was very easy to rig and safety check. The unit is made very user freindly.

We used it as a lowering device, z-rig and 5:1 sysytem. All of these were very easy to do and very quick to learn with a new tool.

We are going to use this as the front line tool for our rigging jobs from now on, and plan on getting a second device, to have a mirrored system in place instead of main line / belay line.

The videos on youtube and CMC website were very accurate and helpful.

Forum Member

Have to agree we recently purchased 2 mpds. And man what a piece of equipment the device has unlimited use, It leaves almost no need to have an ID. as with any first gen device the size is a concern but hopefully they will be smaller in the later years...
    LEATHER FOREVER! Because tactical tupperware just sucks!
    "A Firefighter without tools is only an informed citizen"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNBST1554 View Post
    Have to agree we recently purchased 2 mpds. And man what a piece of equipment the device has unlimited use, It leaves almost no need to have an ID. as with any first gen device the size is a concern but hopefully they will be smaller in the later years...
    From the little bit of time I have on an MPD, I like it. It will take some getting used to, but after some practice I think I will like it more.

However, being as you can currently purchase 2 i'Ds for the price of 1 MPD, I see us keeping i'Ds around for a little while.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

The MPD is a great tool, however the ID still has many applications. It can be used by a member for themselves for rappelling / litter tending. It really excels in tower rescue, especially since the weight is so much lower than an MPD. Also in some situations I find that the ID is more ergonomically friendly than trying to control the MPD. I also think its great that I can get 2 IDs for the price of 1 MPD.

MembersZone Subscriber

i am a strong believer if you have the ability have multiple items to get the job done. I like the MPD the best as the main line /belay line device. I think the ID excells as a decender. I have not had much luck with the ID as anything other than a decender, but i am sure that is a training issue.

When we first put the MPD in service, someof my team guys said why should we bother to train with the old stuff. I put a stop to that line of thought real fast. Although i love new toolsand techniques, we all need to keep our basic and simple skills sharp and ready.

Thread Information