Thread: Bourke Problem

Forum Member

Default Bourke Problem

Hello all,
    I bought a new set of bourkes for my 1010 a while back. Right off the bat they seemed to be poor quality, and the lenses wouldn't come together correctly. In comparison to some older bourkes on other helmets, these things suck! Does anyone know where you can find quality bourkes today? Perhaps even older ones? I just purchased a N6A to restore, and I'm debating just using goggles instead.

Forum Member

Arrow

Wow you aren't the first to have problems with Bourkes.

Maybe jjr512 could help you since he knows a lot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agrogg1 View Post
    Hello all,
    I bought a new set of bourkes for my 1010 a while back. Right off the bat they seemed to be poor quality, and the lenses wouldn't come together correctly. In comparison to some older bourkes on other helmets, these things suck! Does anyone know where you can find quality bourkes today? Perhaps even older ones? I just purchased a N6A to restore, and I'm debating just using goggles instead.
    You may have just got a bad quality set. I recently bought a 1010 Defender with Bourkes and the quality was great. I have ordered many of them from the Fire Store and they are the same exact model and quality.

Back In Black

Sounds like junk, I'd take them off and go with safety glasses. Better protection, anyway.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Bourkes are more for decoration anyway. You need goggles to make the helmet NFPA compliant, and even then, it has to come from the factory with goggles to have the NFPA sticker on it anyway. If you're refurbishing this helmet for decoration and the Bourkes look ok flipped up, I'd leave them be. If not, I'd try and send the Bourkes back from whence they came (sorry couldn't resist) and order some from the manufacturer of the helmet, e.g. if it's and N5 or N6, order from Cairns or The Fire Store, they'll get you a set that'll fit your helmet right.

If I'm not mistaken, and it wouldn't be the first time for me if I am, Bourkes are manufactured for didfferent brand helmets. Some might not fit right on a helmet other than what those Bourkes were manufactured for. Of course, I am only assuming here, I've just seen the Bourkes listed for different style helmets with different order numbers.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Bourkes are Bourkes, and not helmet model specific. If you order them from TFS they will be the ones made for them and have "The Fire Store" engraved in them.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Bourkes are more for decoration anyway. You need goggles to make the helmet NFPA compliant, and even then, it has to come from the factory with goggles to have the NFPA sticker on it anyway. If you're refurbishing this helmet for decoration and the Bourkes look ok flipped up, I'd leave them be. If not, I'd try and send the Bourkes back from whence they came (sorry couldn't resist) and order some from the manufacturer of the helmet, e.g. if it's and N5 or N6, order from Cairns or The Fire Store, they'll get you a set that'll fit your helmet right.

If I'm not mistaken, and it wouldn't be the first time for me if I am, Bourkes are manufactured for didfferent brand helmets. Some might not fit right on a helmet other than what those Bourkes were manufactured for. Of course, I am only assuming here, I've just seen the Bourkes listed for different style helmets with different order numbers.

Hope this helps.
    I'm glad we got that cleared up before the NFPA police came by to arrest someone for their illegal helmet.

Forum Member

Default Goggles?

Thanks for the responses. My bourkes are from TFS, but do not have the engraving-perhaps I can find a pair on ebay that I can see pictures of before I purchase. I plan to have just bourkes, and a set of goggles to meet NFPA when I go to the burn building. I've never dealt with ESS goggles before, do they fog up bad? I'd say they'll stay in my bunker pants if they do

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    I'm glad we got that cleared up before the NFPA police came by to arrest someone for their illegal helmet.
    Bite me brother!

Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. My bourkes are from TFS, but do not have the engraving-perhaps I can find a pair on ebay that I can see pictures of before I purchase. I plan to have just bourkes, and a set of goggles to meet NFPA when I go to the burn building. I've never dealt with ESS goggles before, do they fog up bad? I'd say they'll stay in my bunker pants if they do
    Goggles on a helmet are horrible. They get trashed and burnt discolored, etc. Better off keeping them in your pants if you want them.

Forum Member

I kept mine in my bunkers anyway, didn't want to melt the expensive pointless things. I've always found a good pair of safety glasses not only fit better, but cost less to replace. The ESS goggles are ill fitting, the only reason I had them on my helmet, and will ever have them in the future is because my department issued them and reqired them. My new department requires that any helmet bought to use there is NFPA compliant. They couldn't care less if it had Bourkes or not, just so long there are goggles on it. My personal opinion is that the NFPA requirement for goggles is just yet another regulation that wastes money that could be saved and spent elsewhere, anyway, just my $0.02 worth.

Forum Member

ESS goggles are terrible. My department had to replace 200 of them because the inner coating bubbled and peeled for no reason (lots which never even saw fire).

Safety glasses are the way to go

Forum Member

Bourkes are not too common on ebay - and they command impressive prices. Better off buying new from TFS
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post

Hope this helps.
    I just purchased a new Morning Pride Ben II from the firestore that claims that the "EZFlips" they are manufacturing for his particular helmet are now NFPA compliant have have the NFPA label on the inside.

I personally dont think they provide enough protection so I have a pair of ESS goggles, but I was wondering what makes these any different.

Forum Member

Default 1010

My opinion of the Borkes are they are made for show. I have a 1010 but my department issued it to us. i still prefer the face sheild. but what is everyones opinion one the hide away face sheild by Carnes

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by texasmedic01 View Post
    I just purchased a new Morning Pride Ben II from the firestore that claims that the "EZFlips" they are manufacturing for his particular helmet are now NFPA compliant have have the NFPA label on the inside.

I personally dont think they provide enough protection so I have a pair of ESS goggles, but I was wondering what makes these any different.
    They aren't "claiming" anything. The EZFlips cover more than Bourkes and passed the test to be NFPA compliant.

You sound like you think you were lied to or something.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Too bad Lester Bourke didn't keep the idea of eye protection to himself, then you NFPA Gestapo types could argue about more important things.
    IAFF

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by texasmedic01 View Post
    I can just imagine this 3"x5" label on the inside of the flips...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Too bad Lester Bourke didn't keep the idea of eye protection to himself, then you NFPA Gestapo types could argue about more important things.
    Whose being NFPA Gestapo brother? All I was stating is that if your departent requires an NFPA helmet, usually you have to buy it with goggles. Me personally, I think it's BS, I would rather wear safety glasses, the goggles are crap. I like the Bourkes, I was so ****ed when I got my 1010 and it had goggles only, stupid looking. It didn't help that the damn thing was yellow, and I stress WAS, it's a nice shade of soot and brown now, haha. I would clean it, but it will never get used again, it's a wall hanger now. Fortunatley Havelock only allows black.

Forum Member

Thanks again for the replies. I would definitely not have those horrid-looking things up there, they would stay in my pocket. Got my "ebay-N6A today", it's in great shape (mfd. in 2009), but I'm going to give it a fresh coat of high heat paint, black tets, bourkes, and buy some safety glasses. Thanks for all the advice!

Forum Member

Goggles on a helmet are horrible. They get trashed and burnt discolored, etc. Better off keeping them in your pants if you want them.
    What he said!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    They aren't "claiming" anything. The EZFlips cover more than Bourkes and passed the test to be NFPA compliant.

You sound like you think you were lied to or something.
    No brother thats not how I intended for it to sound. After re-reading what I typed I realize my error. My appology.

I was just met with resistance from a couple of officers in my department saying that the "bourkes" on the helmet I purchased were not NFPA compliant regarless of the claims made by the manufacturer. Being a soldier for the last 10 years I facilitated their requests that I get a pair of goggles on my brain bucket and moved out smartly because.... They are the officers for a reason after all, regarless of how I feel personally.

I bought the helmet after asking and being told that I could do so if I so desired (our volly deparment has started issuing traditional style helmets, but I was using a morning pride liteforce they had lying around that IMHO had seen better days, and wouldn't be issued one of the new ones until the rest of the department had received theirs) and I bought what fit the style I wanted and I got a decent deal.

I like the EZ flips, but I just had that question. I didn't realize they were actually different from bourkes.

Forum Member

Better off keeping them in your pants if you want them.
    Now you tell me! Could've used that little gem of wisdom the other day when the nanny and I didn't hear the wife getting home from work early!

Forum Member

So did you buy new bourke and get rid of the old? If you still have them I'm
    Interested.

Forum Member

I don't understand the "Bourkes are only for decoration" crowd. I am on a large department that only has bourkes for eye protection and they work fine. I have never worn glasses or goggles and never encountered a problem.
    Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

Thread Information