Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Lockout Tagout on your rig

One of my Assistant Chiefs asked me to take on the task of finding more of a "lockout tagout kit" than what we have. We have tools on the truck yes, but no real "kit". Just kind of curious what your department carries on your rig for a lockout tagout kit. We have a few industrial buildings in our area so it would be nice to have somewhat of a universal kit.

What are you looking to lockout/tagout? One of the critical components of a lockout/tagout program is the persons doing the lockout/takout need to be the same ones that remove it. Now if you do this in an industrial building, an industrial process, or equipment, do you have the manpower and the skill to return and remove the locks?
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    What are you looking to lockout/tagout? One of the critical components of a lockout/tagout program is the persons doing the lockout/takout need to be the same ones that remove it. Now if you do this in an industrial building, an industrial process, or equipment, do you have the manpower and the skill to return and remove the locks?
    I guess in answer to your question of "what", it would be many things. Pneumatic lines, gas lines, electric panels, etc etc. The idea of the kit we want will be able to do numerous tasks, not just say "be strictly for gas lines" or "be strictly for electric panels".

Forum Member

We have equipped out teams with the following... this is primarily geared toward industrial type entrapments. During our training we have found that more and more, industry is making use of shut-offs that do not require an "appliance" to lock them; the shut off itself will accommodate a lock. As you can imagine, that makes life easier, you don't need to carry around all those devices.

6 Locks & Keys, All keyed alike
    6 Multi-lock device
    1 Do not operate tags (Bag of 25)
    4 Switch locks
    2 Cord locks (120 Volt)
    2 Cord locks (240 Volt)
    1 Voltage tester (Non-Contact) Delsar
    2 Ball valve locks (small)
    2 Ball valve locks (large)
    2 Gate valve locks (small)
    2 Gate valve locks (medium)
    2 Gate valve locks (large)
    2 6’ lengths of 1/4” chain
    Assorted nylon ty-wraps, roll of duct tape
    We have experimented with some lockout devices for circuit breakers but have found that there are so many different varieties it was impractical to carry them.
    3 pair safety glasses and work gloves

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing I would like to add to SPFDrum's response:

Our policy is that during maintenance activities lockouts have to be removed by the person who places them.

However on an emergency scene they may be removed by anyone, but only after being directed to by the IC with a radio anouncement. The reason being first the person locking it out may be assigned another task thus being unavailable. Second, since turning on any utility may affect anyone on the scene not just the person locking it out so the IC should make the decision. Also a lot of the utilities won't be turned on until after mop up or investigation the initial person locking it out is may back in station.

Just our policy, Works for us the most important thing is to have a policy that everyone understands.

Thread Information