Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Fact is, given that the majority of our ventilation is PPV, there are little opportunities to throw ladders at incidents due to building construction. We still do truck work - It simply rarely involves ladders.

Flattered that you decided to use a quote of mine.

Really, I am.
    If only you knew that he used it because it is possibly the most idiotic thing you have ever said. Minus the whole kid in the car thing.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Those are the houses that SELL grass. I have to walk a few blocks and get to a park to see some ground cover. It's still mostly dirt.
    I pity you city guys. I sit in my kitchen and can see deer, hawks, cardinals, wood peckers, morning doves, the occasional bald eagle and every once in a while opposums and racoons. My pond out back has got fish, frogs, turtles, and a musk rat. I have had wood ducks nesting here. Sand hill cranes, Canadian geese and ducks fly over in warmer weather to the river across the street.

My little part of paradise is just over 14 acres in a small rural community of around 700. I have a mixture of farm field, small woods, and the pond. I smile every time one of the guys I work with talk about moving up "Nort ay?" Sure I have a heck of a commute now, around 100 miles, but the money I spend on my house is for my retirement, not something to sell and move to a different house when I retire.

Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it. The noise, the neighbors so close you can hear then fart in their living room, no grass, no nature...I would go out of my mind.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 03-02-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Clarity, thanks Chief!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    the neighbors so lose you can hear then fart in their living room
    You either forgot a "c" or an "o".... either way, I'm with ya.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    You either forgot a "c" or an "o".... either way, I'm with ya.
    OH MY GOD!! Um, add a C. I hope to never live so close to someone with a hind end so loose i can here it functioning!!
    Maybe it's not too late

Fact is, given that the majority of our ventilation is PPV, there are little opportunities to throw ladders at incidents due to building construction. We still do truck work - It simply rarely involves ladders.

Really, I am.
    I sure hope so. It's not even sad, but funny to me now. I feel you are probably a good guy but on a different planet in terms of out look and that's fine. Maybe you mean the best in terms of getting all your men home in the morning but your personal limits you impose or are compelled to impose are different than mine and that's ok. Regardless, and wether I like it or not, you're a brother and I feel no need to argue further with you.

But having said that, truck work without ladders is just silly.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

If the ladder is at the correct angle it SHOULD not slip out on concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by admpaul View Post
    Really? Put a firefighter on that ladder, carry tools, OR rescuing a scared out of their mind victim and let's see how smoothly the climbing goes and how much the ladder bounces.

Sorry, if the personnel are available, or there is something to tie off to, securing the ladder is the right choice. Falling 10 feet or more to the concrete will do you or your victim not one bit of good.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

While this seems "obvious", when putting a wall/roof ladder to the sill for VES, there's a good chance the angle will be more shallow than the "correct" climbing angle. In most cases the correct angle sticker on ladders are too steep for comfort when wearing SCBA and carrying tools. But knowing the anticipated obstacles and properly selecting the ladder will certainly be a plus.

Anything that should never happen will always happen.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

I was just addressing the orginal question about ladders slipping on concrete. I do teach my students that ladders MUST be healed or tied off.

Forum Member

Double post. Please delete.
    Last edited by pipeman1822; 03-02-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Forum Member

Double post. Please delete.
    Last edited by pipeman1822; 03-02-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Forum Member

I pity you city guys. I sit in my kitchen and can see deer, hawks, cardinals, wood peckers, morning doves, the occasional bald eagle and every once in a while opposums and racoons. My pond out back has got fish, frogs, turtles, and a musk rat. I have had wood ducks nesting here. Sand hill cranes, Canadian geese and ducks fly over in warmer weather to the river across the street.

My little part of paradise is just over 14 acres in a small rural community of around 700. I have a mixture of farm field, small woods, and the pond. I smile every time one of the guys I work with talk about moving up "Nort ay?" Sure I have a heck of a commute now, around 100 miles, but the money I spend on my house is for my retirement, not something to sell and move to a different house when I retire.

Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it. The noise, the neighbors so close you can hear then fart in their living room, no grass, no nature...I would go out of my mind.
    It's just having a different personality. I don't have a huge yard or any of that but I've got 100 bars, restaurants and stores within a 15 minute walk, a world class subway system, and beautiful architecture. It's what I prefer. However there's so many times that I wish I had a nice and quiet house with a huge yard. Unfortunately it's one or the other. If only we got paid the money to have a house in both locations.

Also I forgot to reply to your other post. I wasn't talking about ladders on the concrete. I was just saying that we do single man raises because we throw a lot of ladders. Pretty much every ladder comes off the truck if needed. However, they aren't all climbed. We throw them, vent the window, and leave it there as a means of egress. It's just an extra safety thing if needed. Here's a picture and a story from my volly department across the DC/MD line. http://www.vententersearch.com/?p=713

Last edited by pipeman1822; 03-02-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Forum Member

Really, I am.
    How is there no opportunity to throw ladders due to the building construction? I've NEVER heard that one before. How do you do vertical ventilation or horizontal ventilation anywhere higher than the first floor? I guess if you're going to stand outside the whole time it doesn't matter though right?

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    It's just having a different personality. I don't have a huge yard or any of that but I've got 100 bars, restaurants and stores within a 15 minute walk, a world class subway system, and beautiful architecture. It's what I prefer. However there's so many times that I wish I had a nice and quiet house with a huge yard. Unfortunately it's one or the other. If only we got paid the money to have a house in both locations.

It is a diferent personality indeed. I like that my closest neighbors on the west side of me are 500 and 600 feet away. I like that my closest neighbor on the east is about 500 yards away. No neighbor to the north and about a 1/2 mile or so to the closest neighbor on the south. Quirt, peaceful, and generally I can do what ever I want without bothering anyone, including thrashing in my shop doing auto repairs or woodworking to all hours of the night.

I am less than 1/2 hour from Madison, and 15 minutes from Portage, a city of around 12K with K-Mart, Wal-Mart, TSC, lumber yards, etc, or 35 minutes from Beaver Dam, a city of 15K with Wal-Mart, Menards, Fleet Farm, and more. Also, we are roughly 1/2 hour from Wisconsin Dells a tourist mecca year round with amusement parks and water parks. I guess I like being close enough to go and get or go and do if need be, yet far enough away that 12 cars down my road makes me wonder what the hell is going on today!!

Also I forgot to reply to your other post. I wasn't talking about ladders on the concrete. I was just saying that we do single man raises because we throw a lot of ladders. Pretty much every ladder comes off the truck if needed. However, they aren't all climbed. We throw them, vent the window, and leave it there as a means of egress. It's just an extra safety thing if needed. Here's a picture and a story from my volly department across the DC/MD line. http://www.vententersearch.com/?p=713

I wish either of my departments was better at throwing ladders like this. Rarely will you see extra ladders thrown for extra egress. I whole heartedly agree that it is definitely an extra safety thing.

Dude,

You had me going for a second. I went to post and you had that pic with the guy with the saw and then I came back and you changed pics...Thought I was losing what little sanity I still claimed.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 03-03-2011 at 12:34 AM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post

That picture always offset some of the insanity I read here. Thanks for brightening
    My day

Forum Member

Dude,

You had me going for a second. I went to post and you had that pic with the guy with the saw and then I came back and you changed pics...Thought I was losing what little sanity I still claimed.
    Yea I realized I had the wrong picture up at first. haha

Forum Member

That small house in the front needs to be laddered too.

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    That small house in the front needs to be laddered too.
    It was...on the 3 side, with LA's soapbox.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

So, with you being in DC, who guards the ladders so they are not stolen and scrapped? LOL
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Thread Information