+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1FF View Post
    What every it is it was moved in when nobody was around and is now covered!!!! It is not very long or very high! Looks like it might be some type of very short and very low OAH pumper!!!

I'm going put my bet on it being some sort of ambulance/mini pumper/light rescue amalgamation. That seems to be an emerging trend in fire apparatus. I think braun sells one, wouldn't surprise me if pierce stole the idea did some tweaking and tried to market it as a new idea.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by iceman7104 View Post
    Hey, anybody know if we can still get replacement ball bearings for our old phetzer valves?
    Yes.. order part number PHZ-OU812 for the left handed ball bearings, PHZ-51/50 for the right handed ones...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Let's talk fire trucks!

Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Yes.. order part number PHZ-OU812 for the left handed ball bearings, PHZ-51/50 for the right handed ones...
    Seals are available as PHZ-S-1984, if you need them.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Cool The fight is on in Methuen

Okay so maybe I'll get censored for this. The fight is on Methuen Ma. They had a failure in December. Here is the story. Firepundndit I didn't see it here. The story I got was different from the one on the home page.

City Of Methuen Forced To Pay For Defective Fire Truck Repair

The city of Methuen has to pick up the tab for defective parts on its fire trucks.

METHUEN (CBS) – The city of Methuen will have to foot the bill to repair the ladder truck that malfunctioned at a Christmas Day fire last year.

On Christmas Day in 2010, firefighters rushed to a fire at Shadi’s Restaurant in Methuen. While the building was totaled, no one was hurt, but it was a close call because of faulty equipment.

Beams that help the truck remain stable failed, sending the truck crashing to the pavement. The firefighters in the bucket were dropped six feet as a result.

“They were able to remove the ladder away from the building and safely bring them back to the ground,” said Chief Steven Buote of the Methuen Fire Department.

Pictures of the Sky-Arm, which is used to balance the truck when its bucket is extended, show the malfunction. Steel in its rear left arm was crushed under the weight.

The truck has been sitting in a DPW yard since the day after that fire and the Wisconsin manufacturing company came in and took out the defective part. They were then able to determine that all trucks should be taken out of service. Despite that, they are now they’re not going to pay for the repairs.

“If it’s their poor design, why am I responsible to have it fixed?” said Chief Buote.

Figuring out who is responsible isn’t easy. The truck was built by a compnay that was bought out in the the late 90′s.

That company, Oshkosh, says it only owns the technology for the Sky-Arm and while it suggested the trucks be put out of service, it didn’t build the defective arm and isn’t going to fix them.

Methuen’s mayor and fire chief don’t see it that way.

“We think they have an obligation to do that since it was a defective part,” said Mayor William Manzi III of Methuen.

“They bought all the holdings of Nova Quintech, so with that should go the responsibility and liability of anything that was built under the name Nova Quintech,” said Chief Buote.

Oshkosh has offered to fix Methuen’s truck at a discount, but that’s still upwards of $60,000.

There are nearly two dozen of these trucks in the U.S. and Canada, including one in Manchester, New Hampshire.
    Last edited by Fyrtrks; 03-22-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    Okay so maybe I'll get censored for this. The fight is on Methuen Ma. They had a failure in December. I will post the story later unless Tom W. does the posting first.
    You're a little late. It has already been posted here and is even on the home page of firehouse.com. Doesn't sound like much of a fight so far.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Don't forget, Piece also developed the Flux Capacitor.
    Whatever Piece is introducing this year, be assured it is something E-One introduced within the last few years...

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by JE4935 View Post
    Whatever Piece is introducing this year, be assured it is something E-One introduced within the last few years...
    Like what?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Oh man,be careful. the Gop(God O Pierce) will smithe you where you stand. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    You're a little late. It has already been posted here and is even on the home page of firehouse.com. Doesn't sound like much of a fight so far.
    No fight at all. They've got a problem and they're fixing it. Along with a few other Novas.
    Monday, March 21, 2011
    Ladder trucks recalled for repair
    METHUEN - A fire truck manufacturer has recommended that about two dozen ladder trucks in the United States and Canada be temporarily taken out of service because a part collapsed while Methuen firefighters fought a Christmas Day blaze.

One of the four outriggers used to stabilize Methuen's 1996 Nova Quintech ladder truck collapsed during the fire at Shadi's Restaurant & Lounge on Osgood Street while two firefighters were in the bucket attached to the ladder, dropping them onto the roof of the burning restaurant. They escaped uninjured.

The city took the truck out of service that day.

Pierce Manufacturing owns the rights to the ladder truck. The broken part was brought from Methuen to Wisconsin, where Pierce is based, said Fire Chief Steven Buote.

The company issued a "product safety bulletin" about the defective parts -- the Nova Quintech Sky-Arm and Sky-Pod stabilizer beam assemblies.

"It has come to our attention the original Nova Quintech stabilizer beam design may be susceptible to failure," the bulletin says. "If the failure occurs, the stabilizer beam may collapse, causing death or serious injury."

The bulletin references the Methuen accident.

"Fortunately, no injuries occurred. However, subsequent Pierce engineering analysis concluded that a structural weakness was inherent in the Nova Quintech stabilizer beam design," the document says.

Pierce will manufacture new stabilizer beam assemblies, and they will be available and installed after May 2 "at no cost to the owner," the bulletin says.

"We're probably looking at in excess of a $100,000 job here," Buote said.

Methuen paid about $680,000 for the truck with federal and state money in 1996.

"To replace that with a similar piece today would be roughly about $1.2 million," Buote said.

Buote said there are about two dozen of these trucks in service in the United States and Canada. He has spoken to other chiefs who have the truck, and nobody reported problems, Buote said.

Methuen lacked a ladder truck for a while and had to call for mutual aid from neighboring communities for a ladder three times, but the extra help ended up being unnecessary in all instances, Buote said.

Methuen is now borrowing a spare tower ladder truck from Andover, which Methuen firefighters trained to use.

The Manchester, N.H. Fire Department has the sister truck to Methuen's ladder, and they temporarily took theirs out of service as well.

"We decided that because Pierce believes there is an issue with design, we could no longer run it for liability issues," said Keith Foster, the equipment superintendent for the Manchester Fire Department.

This means Manchester has four ladder trucks in service instead of its usual five, according to Foster.

By J.J. Huggins

Copyright (c) 2011, The Eagle-Tribune, North Andover, Mass.

T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 03-22-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    No fight at all. They've got a problem and they're fixing it. Along with a few other Novas.
    T.C.
    Try and keep up there sunshine. Pierce has made it perfectly clear that they are NOT going to do any repairs FOR FREE. It will cost METHUEN around $60,000 to make the repairs, or update the system.

METHUEN (CBS) – The city of Methuen will have to foot the bill to repair the ladder truck that malfunctioned at a Christmas Day fire last year.
    On Christmas Day in 2010, firefighters rushed to a fire at Shadi’s Restaurant in Methuen. While the building was totaled, no one was hurt, but it was a close call because of faulty equipment.
    Beams that help the truck remain stable failed, sending the truck crashing to the pavement. The firefighters in the bucket were dropped six feet as a result.
    “They were able to remove the ladder away from the building and safely bring them back to the ground,” said Chief Steven Buote of the Methuen Fire Department.
    Pictures of the Sky-Arm, which is used to balance the truck when its bucket is extended, show the malfunction. Steel in its rear left arm was crushed under the weight.
    The truck has been sitting in a DPW yard since the day after that fire and the Wisconsin manufacturing company came in and took out the defective part. They were then able to determine that all trucks should be taken out of service. Despite that, they are now they’re not going to pay for the repairs.
    “If it’s their poor design, why am I responsible to have it fixed?” said Chief Buote.
    Figuring out who is responsible isn’t easy. The truck was built by a compnay that was bought out in the the late 90′s.
    That company, Oshkosh, says it only owns the technology for the Sky-Arm and while it suggested the trucks be put out of service, it didn’t build the defective arm and isn’t going to fix them.
    Methuen’s mayor and fire chief don’t see it that way.
    “We think they have an obligation to do that since it was a defective part,” said Mayor William Manzi III of Methuen.
    “They bought all the holdings of Nova Quintech, so with that should go the responsibility and liability of anything that was built under the name Nova Quintech,” said Chief Buote.
    Oshkosh has offered to fix Methuen’s truck at a discount, but that’s still upwards of $60,000.
    There are nearly two dozen of these trucks in the U.S. and Canada, including one in Manchester, New Hampshire.

Take it how you want to. If Pierce buys out a company, they SHOULD be liable and held accountable for any issues of any equipment they now own. Whether it is their design or not, they should hold the higher card to make it right. If anything, this should give a HUGE black eye to anyone buying anything Pierce makes, or has taken control of.

Sorry, but that's MY opinion, and I will stand by it.

FM1
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 03-23-2011 at 03:59 AM.

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Like what?
    Well, ummm............ aluminum ladders come to mind.

FM1

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Try and keep up there sunshine. Pierce has made it perfectly clear that they are NOT going to do any repairs FOR FREE. It will cost METHUEN around $60,000 to make the repairs, or update the system.

Take it how you want to. If Pierce buys out a company, they SHOULD be liable and held accountable for any issues of any equipment they now own. Whether it is their design or not, they should hold the higher card to make it right. If anything, this should give a HUGE black eye to anyone buying anything Pierce makes, or has taken control of.

FM1
    You would be right. I got this notification about an hr after I posted the LAST one. But that is 4 Wrecker calls and about 6 hrs in FM speak,Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Try and keep up there sunshine. Pierce has made it perfectly clear that they are NOT going to do any repairs FOR FREE. It will cost METHUEN around $60,000 to make the repairs, or update the system.t how you want to. If Pierce buys out a company, they SHOULD be liable and held accountable for any issues of any equipment they now own. Whether it is their design or not, they should hold the higher card to make it right. If anything, this should give a HUGE black eye to anyone buying anything Pierce makes, or has taken control of.

FM1
    I'd UPDATE the system allright..........TO A SMEAL! And I agree,you bought the rights,you OWN the Schat and all it's imperfections. This will be fun to watch,I DON'T think Methuen is just going to bend over and take it. T.C.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

What do you want to bet that the arm that failed will have mysteriously been misplaced by the cheeseheads in Wisconsin?
    P won't give a damn and will point towards faulty maintenance or improper use, or operator error, or :::::::: . just like they do when their ladders fall out of the sky.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Like what?
    Another manufacturer (Not E-One) also introduced something LONG before Piece ever thought of it- rear steering rearmounts.......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Let's talk fire trucks!

Well, ummm............ aluminum ladders come to mind.
    E-One didn't invent aluminum ladders "in the past few years" as he mentioned. I was eluding to E-One not having introduced anything new in the past few years, unless you count that Quest chassis.

And yes, I'm aware that Seagrave had rear-steering aerials long before Pierce released their version.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

FWIW-------

Peter Pirsch and Sons, invented the aluminum aerial ladder, in 1937.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I heard Pierce invented fire as a marketing tool.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I heard Pierce invented fire as a marketing tool.
    I guess all those departments buying them must be stupid.

The Pierce bashing sure gets old. Heck, I compete with them and I don't hate them.

But then, I have spent my living around fire apparatus design, manufacturing and sales. I probably haven't spent enough time on a fire house commode to have a real opinion on the subject. Having dealt with literally thousands of departments doesn't mean anything either. Its the guys who have spent more time on a fire house commode who know it all. So, my question is, why do these experts have to spend so much time on the commode?

I have a feeling I already know the answer.

Let's talk fire trucks!

The Pierce bashing sure gets old. Heck, I compete with them and I don't hate them.
    I've said the same thing...I don't care if it was constant KME-bashing, Sutphen-bashing, or any other manufacturer, it gets old.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

But then, I have spent my living around fire apparatus design, manufacturing and sales. I probably haven't spent enough time on a fire house commode to have a real opinion on the subject. Having dealt with literally thousands of departments doesn't mean anything either. Its the guys who have spent more time on a fire house commode who know it all. So, my question is, why do these experts have to spend so much time on the commode?

I have a feeling I already know the answer.
    You said it not me.

I don't spend a lot of time taking dumps at the firehouse, but I sure do spend a lot of time using the apparatus that is assigned.

Forum Member

I have said this before:

I must say it always makes me shake my head when I meet people in Detroit or O'Hare on thier way to Appleton or Clintonville. These brothers and sisters are wearing their brand new P or S hats and shirts. I shake my head in awe and I am jealous of the machine that can instill such vigor in a person. Vigor that blinds them to the facts 1 We buy the same type engines they do, 2 We buy the same type pumps they do, and 3 we use the same metals that they do. Vigor that blinds to the fact that there are other people who build a vehicle just as good and in some cases(perish the thought) better than they can.
    Fyrtrks

MembersZone Subscriber

Its the DASH CF Chassis.....you gotta give it to them, their marketing is tops! Interesting to see what it offers. Saying larger windshield, engine moved back and lowered and seatc moved inwards for more front cab room.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...294476&theater

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...040527&theater
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MG3610; 03-24-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Forum Member

Maybe Pierce will introduce a new version of the Lance and the Enforcer next year and then they will have all of the old models back. Could it be that their ugly Velocity/Impel is not selling that well?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information