Forum Member

Default Savannah, GA 2011

Saw where Savannah is accepting applications for firefighter trainee right now. The info was posted on the union's Facebook page. I know nothing else about the department or about the process, just passing along the info.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/savannah/default.cfm
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Applied, one of my favorite cities, and one of the last true firefighting departments.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFerd20 View Post
    Applied, one of my favorite cities, and one of the last true firefighting departments.
    Does savannah fight a lot of fire?

Forum Member

They just announced to those that passed the written test, CPAT, and oral interview last year that they will be hiring for a rookie class to start April 25th. They plan to hire 27 candidates so good luck to all who've received emails.

Forum Member

Sent my app in. Let's see how this goes.

Forum Member

Has anyone that applied to Savannah heard anything yet? its been about 3 weeks since I sent in my background information. Heard they were going hire up to 27 trainees by April 25. Keep me posted

Forum Member

Anyone have an idea what one could expect to make as a "tenured" fireman. Please don't regurgitate the numbers from the link that says 34,xxx after one year. I'm asking after 5,10 years, provided that the salary goes up after the first year.

Forum Member

ffadams88 - I received an e-mail last week notifying me that I was scheduled for a fitness assessment on march 22nd.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cub2311 View Post
    Anyone have an idea what one could expect to make as a "tenured" fireman. Please don't regurgitate the numbers from the link that says 34,xxx after one year. I'm asking after 5,10 years, provided that the salary goes up after the first year.
    Theirs another post about savannah if you do a search. I know a member of the dept posted half his class left due to the pay. I would imagine they don't run a lot being they don't do ems.
    Last edited by AJ770; 03-08-2011 at 09:50 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

The City of Savannah is currently accepting applications for firefighter trainee.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/savannah/default.cfm

If you go to this link you can apply online.

The city is also beginning a recruit class on April 25th. This will be a class of 28. All eligible applicants have been contacted and have been scheduled for a physical assessment.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

www.iaff574.org
    Find us on facebook also: search for (IAFF Savannah Firefighters)

MembersZone Subscriber

Cub - The City of Savannahs pay scale is based on years of service.

New Recruit: $30,906
    Completion of recruit school: $32471
    After one year:$34,094

After this the one year raise you are suppose to get a annual 2% raise. This is not the COLA raise the city gives. Hypothetically you should always get a 2% raise plus the COLA -whatever it may be.

However, we have not recieved our step raises in 3 years and just recieved our first COLA in three years. Due to this economy its not a suprise.

Lets say you are a 6 year Firefighter you should be making at least $37,943.

Forum Member

Any idea how many people are taking the fitness test?

Forum Member

40 taking the test.

Forum Member

So they are having a Class of 28 straight away and starting another list with the current application through gov't jobs??

Please advise. Also i'd be flying out so I would like to know the possibility of having another class, given the current economic climate. I know this would be speculation but a best guess from an insider would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

The class of 28 is starting off the test used 2 years ago. A new list is being created at this time with multiple application and testing dates over the next few months.

There are currently 9 stations in planning for the city. How fast these stations are built somewhat hinges on the economy. It looks like 3 stations could be onilne within the next 18 months. That would be a possibility of 60 to 75 firefighters.

Forum Member

Looks like about 35 showed up for testing today. Curious as to how test data plays into the hiring decision ... at this point is it simply the top 27 performers at today's test get the slots for rookie school or are there other factors at play?

I'm assuming things will move forward at a good pace now so we'll all find out soon enough.

Forum Member

Default was at the physical at Candler as well

Heard that only 35 showed to test. This is good to hear as it will help our odds in the hiring process. Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Gentleman,

I can tell you with that 3 people gave notice they would not be attending. So that right there drops you down to 37. As far as the other 3-5, not sure yet on their status. Fire Admin will be picking the list for conditional offers VERY soon. Then the candidates with conditional offers will be given a medical evaluation. If you pass the medical, you will be in the academy.

I can't stress this enough, if you aren't working out or eating right....you had better start now. In all actuality you should have been doing this for years for this job.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask on here as it helps your fellow brothers.

You can also e-mail me at fptacin@yahoo.com.

Forum Member

Got an e-mail to do the written test in April. If they just hired some guys, is it worth taking the test?

Forum Member

So has anyone heard anything from HR yet that took the physical?

Forum Member

I've received a conditional job offer pending results from lab work. If you've heard no news at this point, I would suggest contacting HR.

Forum Member

Well that doesnt sound good for me at all boo that. How long ago did they contact you do you live there already?

Thread Information